Justice Breyer will retire Thursday.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
This is not going to end well, only one can hope Murkowski(R), Manchin (D), Senema (D), sides with the rest of the Democrats with Biden's choice, when Mitch goes fillibuster. When will Thomas retire?
Breyer’s replacement has already been confirmed…..

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
This is not going to end well, only one can hope Murkowski(R), Manchin (D), Senema (D), sides with the rest of the Democrats with Biden's choice, when Mitch goes fillibuster. When will Thomas retire?
I thought Breyer might be pulling a RBG up until his announcement that he was retiring. Thankfully he's decided that perhaps he doesn't need to be on the court until he takes his last breath.

What didn't end well was RBG dying while on the bench. She should have retired in 2014. Roe would still be law if she had. Funny how the US Constitution can include or exclude rights depending on just a handful of individuals who sit on an appointed body.

Thomas won't "retire" until there's a Republican in the White House. With him getting to join in on the Dobbs decision, I'm guessing he retires the next time a Republican is in the White House

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I thought Breyer might be pulling a RBG up until his announcement that he was retiring. Thankfully he's decided that perhaps he doesn't need to be on the court until he takes his last breath.
But talks for him to retire last year were premature. He knew he had until this year for D senate control.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
But talks for him to retire last year were premature. He knew he had until this year for D senate control.
He assumed he had until this year for Senate control. 48+2(+1) - 50 isn't solid "control" of the Senate.

Old people die suddenly all the time, and the US Senate is nothing if not filled with old people. Feinstein is almost 90.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Rbg really gave this country a big fuuuuuuck you on her way out! 😡😡😡

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I mean, when I click on the link, this is the full headline, OP:

Justice Stephen Breyer to officially retire Thursday at noon, swear in Ketanji Brown Jackson

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: feralkid and iRONic

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

You know how every time you create a post I tell you to stop creating posts?

Yeah, well, uh, here we go again. I mean seriously, you can't actually be this ignorant.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
OP MUST have forgotten the "/s".....

right..? :confused: RIGHT??!?!!1!!?

Anakin-Skywalker-Padme-Memes-Have-Us-Silently-Realizing-the-Truth.jpg

Seriously for about 3/10's of a second I was like praise jeebus myself but then it all came crashing down.... so cruel!

;)

Last edited:

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
OP is a bit behind. Let me introduce you to our new Justice.

Ketanji Brown Jackson

View attachment 63766
You know how every time you create a post I tell you to stop creating posts?

Yeah, well, uh, here we go again. I mean seriously, you can't actually be this ignorant.
OP MUST have forgotten the "/s".....

right..? :confused:

View attachment 63769

Seriously for about 3/10's of a second I was like praise jeebus myself but then it all came crashing down.... so cruel!

;)
I actually just remebered Katanji as the pick..... but then again.... what if someone other than Breyer, lets says a Republican specifically, did a RBG before Breyer's retirement... you do realize that ketanji then replaces that person, and not Breyer :( If no new justice then was picked to replace Breyer ... well 2/6 (33%) would become 2/5 (40%).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: iRONic

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
This is the guy who less than a year ago published a book arguing that the Supreme Court is an entirely non-partisan institution that sticks by long-standing principles, no?

Sample quotes

“If I catch myself headed toward deciding a case on the basis of some general ideological commitment, I know I have gone down the wrong path, and I correct course. My colleagues think the same way.”

“My experience from more than 30 years as a judge has shown me that anyone taking the judicial oath takes it very much to heart. A judge’s loyalty is to the rule of law, not the political party that helped to secure his or her appointment.”

Not the best-timed book ever.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I actually just remebered Katanji as the pick..... but then again.... what if someone other than Breyer, lets says a Republican specifically, did a RBG before Breyer's retirement... you do realize that ketanji then replaces that person, and not Breyer :( If no new justice then was picked to replace Breyer ... well 2/6 (33%) would become 2/5 (40%).
Math is hard!!!

Lets put it to you a different way, using fruit because counting judges is hard for you.. currently we have 3 oranges, and 6 bananas. (3/6) tomorrow, we lose one of the oranges, but will be replaced with another orange. Leaving us still with 3 oranges and 6 bananas.. (3/6) If one of the pieces of fruit spoiled before we lost the orange tomorrow, using your argument, it would be a banana, it would be immediately replaced with an orange that has already been confirmed.. making it 4/5 today. Then when we lost the orange tomorrow, it would be 3/5 (short 1 piece of fruit until we get another one appointed by the orange lovers/banana haters, and confirmed). Now replace the oranges and bananas with justices.. do you see your error in your math now and the idiocy of your "I'm trying to save face" argument?

edit: apples changed to bananas for accuracy! (thanks eelw).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: iRONic and alien42

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Math is hard!!!

Lets put it to you a different way, using fruit because counting judges is hard for you.. currently we have 3 oranges, and 6 apples. (3/6) tomorrow, we lose one of the oranges, but will be replaced with another orange. Leaving us still with 3 oranges and 6 apples.. (3/6) If one of the pieces of fruit spoiled before the lost the orange tomorrow, using your argument, it would be the apple, it would be immediately replaced with an orange that has already been confirmed.. making it 4/5 today. Then when we lost the orange tomorrow, it would be 3/5 (short 1 piece of fruit until we get another one appointed by the orange lovers/apple haters, and confirmed). Now replace the oranges and apples with justices.. do you see your error in your math now and the idiocy of your "I'm trying to save face" argument?
Yes I was wrong.... I thought there were only 2 dem justices out of 5 total justices... sorry. didn't know there were three dem and a total of 9 justices.... but then again... if orange man wins 2024 there is a possiblity of 2 dem out of 9 happening. I feel like bad.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Yes I was wrong.... I thought there were only 2 dem justices out of 5 total justices... sorry. didn't know there were three dem and a total of 9 justices.... but then again... if orange man wins 2024 there is a possiblity of 2 dem out of 9 happening. I feel like bad.
Lets get this straight, you started this topic, not realizing Breyer's replacement has already been confirmed. Then you post your "save face argument" that was wrong.. and your excuse is "I thought there where only 2 dem justices"... and now you are jumping 2 years into the future, trying to justify your 2 dems by magically removing 1 of the 3 dems that makes up the SCOTUS, using what if's. You really should stop posting now.. seriously. Because the walls of the ditch you dug are caving in from the weight of your ignorance that started this topic.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Lets get this straight, you started this topic, not realizing Breyer's replacement has already been confirmed. Then you post your "save face argument" that was wrong.. and your excuse is "I thought there where only 2 dem justices"... and now you are jumping 2 years into the future, trying to justify your 2 dems by magically removing 1 of the 3 dems that makes up the SCOTUS, using what if's. You really should stop posting now.. seriously. Because the walls of the ditch you dug are caving in from the weight of your ignorance that started this topic.
:fearful:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
What is with the op, foes he still subscribe to the prairie quarterly gazette?