Article Just when you thought EVGA couldn't enter into another segment, behold "NU Audio" **Updated with review**

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.evga.com/articles/01281/evga-nu-audio/

The specs and engineering look good, although I've never heard of Audio Note before. There's no price listed, but I imagine it will be in the $200+ range based on Asus' and Creative Lab's high-end cards pricing. It looks to be powered by the XMOS xCore 200 DSP, along with Audio Note capacitors.

Although, not sure about how good the driver support will be, or if this product will flop much like their entries in the PC case market (in which they were being cleared out at half price or giving out free power supplies). The add-in audio card market isn't exactly very large as this point in PCs, and I could see smaller audio companies like HT Omega closing altogether. Heck, Asus doesn't even release new drivers for their existing sound cards as it stands now.

712-P1-AN01-KR_XL_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I have a Creative sound card (primarily for its amp), but I do enjoy having it. The difference between properly implemented onboard sound and a discreet card isn't anywhere near where it used to be back in the day, so I understand why most people skip a card altogether.

The thing for me with EVGA entering into this niche market is out of the very small number of people who still use discreet cards they either use Creative or Asus, so I just don't see much of an opportunity for EVGA. I'm just curious what the price will be at launch (I'm going to guess $249), and how long will EVGA give this product before deciding to pull out of this segment as I will be very surprised if it is actually worthwhile for them to be in it.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I use a discrete sound card but it's because I need 6 channel analog output with optical input. I think this will sell but not enough to justify it.

It's not going to be used by anyone for a HT PC so that leaves audio enthusiasts. I have noticed that most don't necessarily discriminate against a product just because it comes from something like a gaming company. But, at the price range this card is in, most will start to look at more professional options. The headphone port is nice but again, most headphone enthusiasts use a discrete dac/amp as the final step in their chain, not a PC.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
They finally have the pricing up, and full retail is $249.99.

However, for Elite members on EVGA, they are offering a $50 discount for a total of $199.99 right now. I just don't think this card is going to do very well at this price. Sure it has nice specs, but it's going to be a tough sell.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Just an update to this thread. EVGA continues to really push this item through their email marketing, and I noticed TechPowerUp did a review of it back in March that I missed.

It's still too expensive compared to the competition IMO, but I will say that its audio performance scores higher than my current sound card (the Creative AE-5). Now if this thing was closer to the $150 range, I might be curious enough to try it out. :p

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/NU_Audio_Sound_Card/

3.jpg

Card break-down analysis:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/NU_Audio_Card_Preview/