Just went out and bought Orange Box. Can't install anything!

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
I went out and bought orange box today and brought it home. put in disc 1, and set up a steam account (i didn't have one before). Now, when I try to install anything, I keep getting a message saying "the steam servers are too busy to handle your request." and it is trying to download the game. did I not just buy 2 dvd's with the game on it, or am i mistaken??? what is going on?

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
No, it is trying to download the game. i put in the cd, select to install portal, and it says, "approximate download time, 8 hours." and then this box comes up saying the server is busy. this happens for all games.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
that sort of happened with Dark Messiah. I installed the game via disc but then steam redownloaded the whole game.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Post your questions on the official Valve/Steam forums, you'll get quick answers (provided you post in the right forum category).

The forums are at: www.steampowered.com

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
i registered at the steam forums but i am waiting in a queue to get my account activated. nobody has experienced this before? what the hell is going on?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Steam fails. There are other people who have the "Too busy" problem too. Valve dropped the ball.

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
so, you are saying the two discs i bought don't actually have the game on them, but they are just activation pass to steam? if so, why are there 2 disks?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Something must be wrong with you machine, I got Orange Box yesterday and installed it (HL2:EP2/Portal/TF2) from DVDs. The install process used both disks and then patched all three games through steam, it did not however use steam to download entire game, only updates.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: theman
No, it is trying to download the game. i put in the cd, select to install portal, and it says, "approximate download time, 8 hours." and then this box comes up saying the server is busy. this happens for all games.

I would get that error when I was running PeerGuardian. Turn off PeerGuardian (or any other kind of firewall) and see what happens.

Oh and in the future don't even bother going to the store to buy games on Steam. About a month ago I got a copy of Half-Life 2 from EB, and it downloaded the entire thing through steam. The disk is right here in the drive, but no we gotta download it through Steam. It would have been faster to save myself the trip to EB and just buy it off Steam in the first place.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Steam fails. There are other people who have the "Too busy" problem too. Valve dropped the ball.

i have been waiting since preload began to install ep2

i still get the goddamn 'busy' message
"try again in a few minutes"

i have Portal but it is really irritating that Steam can't take care of their customers

Steam IS a drip under pressure

sorry OP you bought Vapor-ware for now
:thumbsdown:

i *love* the Steam fanboys that say "it MUST be YOUR fault"
PM me for what i'd really like to say to you
:Q

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
I restarted Steam and shutdown Peerguardian and that resolved that busy message for me

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
well i just tried it again today, and it installed fine. i have no idea what it was trying to do yesterday. jeez.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Of little relevance, I'd just like to say that I've been using Steam since day 1 and still have had absolutely 0 problems to date. Including installing games on release dates. shrug.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Of little relevance, I'd just like to say that I've been using Steam since day 1 and still have had absolutely 0 problems to date. Including installing games on release dates. shrug.

i wish i could say that ... i used to blame all my issues on dial-up ... now that i have broadband i can confidently say "it's Steam"

on a very related note ... it is d/l'ing now :p

after what? - 2 or 3 days of constantly "server busy, try again" :|
... and again ... and again ... and again ...
:confused:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Hmmm... sounds like its best to not buy/DL a game via steam the first few days it comes out then? Server/s getting hammered I guess.