Just watched W. the film

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Holy crap...

Based on a true story. And it scared the crap outta me.

That scene where Cheney is describing how the US needs control of the Middle East's oil or else it can't survive outside 25 years. Cheney pointed out Iran and my heart started racing! He really said that if we take over the middle east, we will be the new world order.

Scary movie. And not as funny as I thought it would be.

Sedition

Dec 23, 2008
At present the United States faces no global rival. America?s grand strategy should aim to preserve and extend this advantageous position as far into the future as possible.

well... that plan didn't last long.

smokeyjoe

Dec 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Sedition
At present the United States faces no global rival. America?s grand strategy should aim to preserve and extend this advantageous position as far into the future as possible.

well... that plan didn't last long.

hehe, you should read the whole thing, it's interesting.

here's another good one.. particularly pages 15 and 16.. I haven't read the whole document

edit: forgot to mention that the report is about Irregular Warfare (IW)

Sedition

Dec 23, 2008
Some IW
activities, such as terrorism and transnational crime, violate international law.
US law and national policy prohibit US military forces or other government
agencies (OGAs) from engaging in or supporting such activities. However, since
our adversaries employ terrorism and transnational criminal activities against
the interests of the United States and its partners, these activities are included
below as examples of the range of operations and activities that can be
conducted as part of IW:
? Insurgency
? Counterinsurgency (COIN)
? Unconventional warfare (UW)
? Terrorism
? Counterterrorism (CT)
? Foreign internal defense (FID)
? Stabilization, security, transition, and reconstruction operations
(SSTRO)
? Strategic communications
? Psychological operations (PSYOP)
? Information operations (IO)11

Good lord... this reads like Dick Cheney's play book... wtf is it...

smokeyjoe

Dec 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Sedition
Some IW
activities, such as terrorism and transnational crime, violate international law.
US law and national policy prohibit US military forces or other government
agencies (OGAs) from engaging in or supporting such activities. However, since
our adversaries employ terrorism and transnational criminal activities against
the interests of the United States and its partners, these activities are included
below as examples of the range of operations and activities that can be
conducted as part of IW:
? Insurgency
? Counterinsurgency (COIN)
? Unconventional warfare (UW)
? Terrorism
? Counterterrorism (CT)
? Foreign internal defense (FID)
? Stabilization, security, transition, and reconstruction operations
(SSTRO)
? Strategic communications
? Psychological operations (PSYOP)
? Information operations (IO)11

Good lord... this reads like Dick Cheney's play book... wtf is it...

It is continued on page 16..

? Civil-military operations (CMO)
? Intelligence and counterintelligence activities
? Transnational criminal activities, including narco-trafficking, illicit arms dealing, and illegal financial transactions, that support or sustain IW
? Law enforcement activities focused on countering irregular adversaries

Insurgency and counterinsurgency are at the core of IW. The purpose of insurgency is to overthrow and replace an established government or societal structure. Terrorism and counterterrorism are activities conducted as part of IW and are frequently sub-activities of insurgency and counterinsurgency. However, terrorism may also stand alone when its purpose is to coerce or intimidate governments or societies without overthrowing them.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
And you thought Obama re taking the oath without a bible was a biggie.
Always remember... it could be much worse,
GW could be starting his third term. :Q

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: sportage

I don't believe taking the oath with a bible is a requirement. It has merely become a custom in recent times.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
If he was still pres I'd watch it, but now I want to forget it. The movie just came out too late, imo.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: smokeyjoe
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
Well I hope Robert Gates gets canned quick for signing that, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I think this video is appropriate here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obTIeXQgapQ

Pelosi's reaction after Bush winks is hilarious

Our intelligence sources tell us that he has attempted to purchase 7 MILLION hydrogen powered doctors, and the western wall of the pentagon.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor

I don't believe taking the oath with a bible is a requirement. It has merely become a custom in recent times.

Yeah, technically it's unconstitutional. You know, the whole separation of church and state. That one thing they used to call "freedom".

AFMatt

Aug 14, 2008
Originally posted by: Duddy
Holy crap...

That scene where Cheney is describing how the US needs control of the Middle East's oil or else it can't survive outside 25 years. Cheney pointed out Iran and my heart started racing! He really said that if we take over the middle east, we will be the new world order.

I would use the term "based on a true story" very loosely when talking about any movie directed by Oliver Stone. Dont get me wrong, I have enjoyed many of his movies through the years.. "Born on the 4th of July" was great, and despite it's way off portrayal of Morrison, his life, his wife, and most the band members, I loved "The Doors." The problem is a lot of content in his 'based on' films contain a nicely done blend of truth with fiction to create the story he wants people to see, or he thinks will sell more tickets.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor

...because we all know Kerry would've taken the oath of office on a stack of gay guys f*cking...

/Lewis Black

Remember guys, no establishment of religion nor religious test for office.... This shouldn't be news...

scruffypup

Feb 3, 2006
Originally posted by: AFMatt
Holy crap...

I would use the term "based on a true story" very loosely when talking about any movie directed by Oliver Stone. Dont get me wrong, I have enjoyed many of his movies through the years.. "Born on the 4th of July" was great, and despite it's way off portrayal of Morrison, his life, his wife, and most the band members, I loved "The Doors." The problem is a lot of content in his 'based on' films contain a nicely done blend of truth with fiction to create the story he wants people to see, or he thinks will sell more tickets.

Exactly,.. and to add to that,.. most directors take liberties with "based on true story",... so what you see in the movie may not at all be factual in anyway as portrayed,... it is very likely to be revolving around some few things that were true with lots of fiction thrown in (for instance, Bush was the president, Cheney was the vice president,... the words and specifics of the situations are generally up to the story writer)

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Yeah, technically it's unconstitutional. You know, the whole separation of church and state. That one thing they used to call "freedom".
Nah, it would be unconstitutional to disallow the use of a Bible, or to require it.

It is a "no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" thing, and that is how freedom works.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I think the basic problem is that there is no agenda beyond 'get more power'. There is no global political structure that's stable and allows for diversity, really.

And so every nation is either just trying to keep what it has, or is trying to take from others where they think they can.

The old Highlander motto, 'there can be only one', summarizes the situation. And when there 'is only one', when the tipping point is reached where there is one global power, likely some coalition of states and everyone else is vulnerable, there's no turning back, most likely.