just tried a tabletPC for the first time......OMG...edit, ok so i just ordered one! w00t!!

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
i have yet to be this impressed by any single piece of personal-use technology. first i have to say that i wasn't as much impressed by the tabletPC itself (which was a compaq, btw) as i was by microsoft's note-taking software, onenote. my opinion won't apply to many of you, but to those that are students (and already have a primary desktop/notebook), i can easily say that a tabletPC w/ onenote should be your next major purchase. i can't even start to describe how amazing the tablet/program was. just try it for yourself.

the handwriting to text recognition was flawless. writing into a document was equally appealing - it looked exactly like my own handwriting. ever try writing "digitally" before? for example, on a PDA or signing for a receipt at best buy? sh!tty recognition, right? not on this baby. select diagrams, import, move, add extra writing space between lines (did the professor goof and forget to write a sentence or two a few minutes ago?). think of the perfect digital note-taking program and you'll find it w/ onenote.

as you can tell, i'm pretty damn excited about this whole tabletpc/note-taking ordeal. it may not be as helpful for those of you that take classes where notes are mostly words, but i'd say that 50-70% of my notes are diagrams and or equations, so a simple notebook is not a viable substitute for the trusted old pad and pencil. anyway, for those of you that are mildly interested, it's probably worth your while to at least check one out.

edit: ok well i was so impressed that i decided to get the acer that anand recently reviewed. seemed to have everything i need. w00t!!! baby is coming in on tue or wed hopefully. :D

=|

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Sure, I've got $1500 to burn. Why not?

;) :p

Yeah, I love Tablet PCs too, but they're a bit out of my range.

- M4H
yah, i know. it's such a shame too. i really can't afford one on my own, but i think i might be able to negotiate a long term "loan" w/ my parents :p. you know, it's for "educational" purposes.

=|

MangoTBG

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Could you explain why writing notes out, over typing them, is easier/better. I guess I don't see it :).

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
i still don't believe i would have a use for digitizing my notes in any of my classes though, i guess if you took reams of them searching would be nice

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: MangoTBG
Could you explain why writing notes out, over typing them, is easier/better. I guess I don't see it :).

You can draw, place text anywhere on the page, etc.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i tried one back when they first came out... the handwriting recognition was pretty good

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I haven't tried one but I looked into one seriously before I ended up getting a PDA for the following reasons:

a) battery life would be a little tight when I have days with 5 hours of lecture
b) price: I can't afford it
c) give it a couple more years and the technology will be be better (solving a, I hope) and the prices will drop (solving c, I hope)

speg

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
www.speg.com
Somone had a post about Onenote the other day, had a link to a flash demo I bleive. I'm too lazy to search for it though :p

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
well like i said, it depends on the kind of classes you take, but here's a sample of what my notes look like, and this is even one of the pages w/ less "traffic."

=|

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: theNEOone
well like i said, it depends on the kind of classes you take, but here's a sample of what my notes look like, and this is even one of the pages w/ less "traffic."

=|

i wish my notes were that neat...and my handwriting was that good.

i think this device would be quite useful...especially if uhave to draw many circuits in your lectures. can u copy and paste wat u drew? also can u enlarge watever it is u drew? cause i hate drawing a circuit ..only to see the prof fill it up with writing..and i realize my drawing was too small!

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN

=|

i think this device would be quite useful...especially if uhave to draw many circuits in your lectures. can u copy and paste wat u drew? also can u enlarge watever it is u drew? cause i hate drawing a circuit ..only to see the prof fill it up with writing..and i realize my drawing was too small!

yes, you can move, resize, rotate, copy, paste any diagrams (or notes) that you draw. they didn't leave out anything - different color pens, different thicknessies, highlighters, etc. good work on microsoft's part, IMO.

=|

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

=|

yes, you can move, resize, rotate, copy, paste any diagrams (or notes) that you draw. they didn't leave out anything - different color pens, different thicknessies, highlighters, etc. good work on microsoft's part, IMO.

=|

how big is it? and how heavy?

its still too expensive though.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
how big is it? and how heavy?

its still too expensive though.
well there are many different tablet PCs out, but the acer that i'm looking at is about the size of an ultralight notebook (1" thick, 10.4" screen) and costs about $2k. this acer is actually not a pure tabletPC, and is somewhate of a hybrid between a notebook and a tabletpc, i.e. it has a keyboard, pcmcia slot, etc.

=|

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
You can draw on Pocket PCs too, hehe. Mixed words and pics :) BTW nice notetaking handwriting in the pic...and yea, why not just use paper in the classes that need lotsa drawing?

<--has a PocketPC and a kbrd; gets a lotta stares and stuff. Uses it in very text-based classes.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Ionizer86
You can draw on Pocket PCs too, hehe. Mixed words and pics :) BTW nice notetaking handwriting in the pic...and yea, why not just use paper in the classes that need lotsa drawing?

<--has a PocketPC and a kbrd; gets a lotta stares and stuff. Uses it in very text-based classes.
well, i'm not getting the tabletPC just for note-taking. that's just silly and a waste of money. i've always wanted a notebook, but i couldn't really justify the expense because i have a kickass computer and my campus is completely littered with PCs. the libraries also have a notebook loan program where you can checkout a laptop for a few hours (although during peak hours you usually have to wait about 15-30min). now that i can integrate note-taking in classes, with studying and writing papers on my own computer, the incentive to get a mobile computer is there.

=|

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
tablet pcs are nice. they are still too hot to hold as a tablet, unfortunately.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Mday
tablet pcs are nice. they are still too hot to hold as a tablet, unfortunately.

are you sure? i've read reviews and it seems that they can be handled just fine. particularly w/ the introduction of centrino processors.

=|

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
I bought a Toshiba Tablet PC about 2 months ago. I kind of wish i had bought the Gateway with Centrino as i really don't need the keyboard.

there are 2 types as most of you probably know, tablet pcs with keyboards as accessories or tablet pc convertibles that have keyboards built in.

if you want this tablet pc as your sole laptop, than this toshiba i have is a good choice, if you want it mostly for the screen writing capabilities, don't bother with a convertible.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis

You can draw, place text anywhere on the page, etc.

Two words: One Hand!

You can hold your books, papers, whatever, while taking notes.

I'm really impressed with the Toshiba one I got to play with. I'd love to get it. :(

Ah, well. Maybe it'll end up on Hot Deals for $50 AR AC PM. LoL