Just Switched from Winamp to Foobar2000

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
What an amazing difference! I don't have to use playlists; just drag and drop and the tracks are remembered forever. The equalizer is SO much better on Foobar. I can tweak every single channel so perfectly and Foobar counts the ticks you have moved the slider which REALLY helps out... Foobar's equalizer also seems to have more of an effect (most likely due to the higher range of +20db to -20db compared to Winamps +-12db). God, this program is so much more useful and awesome...

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Meh, I don't care how nice it looks. I just love how it performs! If I feel like it one day, I may go through that guide and prettyize it, so this thread is now tagged. Thanks for the link.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
i haven't used winamp in years. I've always contemplated leaving foobar for something like itunes or even windows media player, but no other audio player uses less resources and has the community support than foobar2000.

Here's what my foobar looks like. Over at the Foobar Forums, i saw it and the guy uploads his configuration. Easy and aesthetically pleasing when i look at foobar but most of the time it's minimized.

http://www.sidistic.com/public/foobar2k.png

Jan 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Sid59
i haven't used winamp in years. I've always contemplated leaving foobar for something like itunes or even windows media player, but no other audio player uses less resources and has the community support than foobar2000.

Here's what my foobar looks like. Over at the Foobar Forums, i saw it and the guy uploads his configuration. Easy and aesthetically pleasing when i look at foobar but most of the time it's minimized.

Sweet! Can you please point me in the direction of where I can find out how to get my foobar to look like that? Thanks.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006

Whoa! Very sweet. Almost looks suspiciously like WMP11's library... ;)
But better.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Interesting thread. I have only ever used Foobar to convert between formats, but after reading this I may give it a try as my music player.

mc866

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2005
I made the switch about two years ago and never looked back, lots of tweaking involved but sometimes thats the best part about it.

yosuke188

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2005
Foobar = FLAC support :)

Plays gapless, converting files is a piece of cake, and fully customizable.

Can't go wrong.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: yosuke188

Can't go wrong.

Winamp has FLAC support as well, but it's not native. :)
I usually use a FLAC Frontend for encoding/decoding. Is there anything special about Foobar's conversion methods?

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: 40sTheme
Originally posted by: yosuke188

Can't go wrong.

Winamp has FLAC support as well, but it's not native. :)
I usually use a FLAC Frontend for encoding/decoding. Is there anything special about Foobar's conversion methods?

Converters are just frontends (user interfaces) for codecs, which aren't a part of any music player.

us3rnotfound

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Is there anyway to make Foobar's interface as small as possible? I don't want some full screen player, that's why I like Winamp with classic skin so much is because it takes up minimal room.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004

I downloaded that layout, but changed the colors a bit to match my windows theme (ChaNinja RC5, with the Akira flavor).

Only thing I can't figure out is how to re-order songs within a playlist. I was using ColumnsUI before, and that's as simple as dragging things around, but with this layout I can't figure it out.

I should probably read the readme for PanelsUI...

Edit: Figured it out.. Alt+Drag or Alt+Up/Down...