Just started using an xbox controller on some of my steam games

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
It's a different feeling. Haven't used a game pad in over 15 years(ps2)

works so well considering my desktop is a Microsoft os as well as the ms controller(dunno if that matters)

So far i've played Tekken 7, grim dawn, and kid chameleon with a controller. works so well.

For games like CS:GO and WC3TFT, mouse & keyboard will always trump any game pad

rumpleforeskin

Nov 3, 2008
Right tool for the job :)
Strategy & FPS usually KB&M
Console ports particularly 3rd person view I find far easier with a controller

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I still don't understand people using a controller for Grim Dawn. I'd love to see someone run Bastion of Chaos on Ultimate using a controller.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I'd love to see people not become elitist pricks over what tools people use to enjoy their games.

I mean, one of the greatest things about PC gaming is that you can do it your way. Unless you're a PC gamer fanboy, apparently.

Not calling you an elitist prick based on your post, Stg, it just reminded me of the awful PCMR idiots.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I suck at using a controller these days. I have an XBOX1 controller for my PC and barely end up using it, despite having a couch, 55" TV and good speakers. I tried using it for the Witcher 3 a few months back but quickly moved back to my desk with keyboard, mouse, 32" monitor and headphones ...

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I use an Xbox controller for Steam games that support it. I'd like a steering wheel for Dirt Rally and Project Cars but I don't have the space for it. Controller works just fine.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I switched to an XBox One controller after they came out (Was using an XBox 360 controller). The XBone is the best controller I have ever used, really a lot better than the 360 model. And it is perfect for platformers, driving games, and some console ports.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The problem I have with the Xbox One controller is that you can only have one of them connected to a PC at a time. I often play multiplayer games like Divinity and Magica that need multiple controllers.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The problem I have with the Xbox One controller is that you can only have one of them connected to a PC at a time. I often play multiplayer games like Divinity and Magica that need multiple controllers.

Thats only a limitation if connecting via blue tooth. If you connect via wired or with the wireless adapter you can have more than one.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I switched to an XBox One controller after they came out (Was using an XBox 360 controller). The XBone is the best controller I have ever used, really a lot better than the 360 model. And it is perfect for platformers, driving games, and some console ports.

Why do you prefer the XBox One controller over the XBox 360 controller? The 360 controller drivers can be a real pain to setup and the huge 2006 era wireless dongle is ugly AF, but in actual gameplay what advantages do you find? Does it have better battery life? On a side note, the PS4's Dualshock 4 is the worst console controller I have ever used since that stupid light kills your battery life. I have to recharge it every time I play 3 hours or so.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Thats only a limitation if connecting via blue tooth. If you connect via wired or with the wireless adapter you can have more than one.

My setup does is not conducive to wired setups. I was not aware that you could connect them fire RF. I thought they only connected to the PC via Bluetooth! Thank you, I might give this a try.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Why do you prefer the XBox One controller over the XBox 360 controller? The 360 controller drivers can be a real pain to setup and the huge 2006 era wireless dongle is ugly AF, but in actual gameplay what advantages do you find? Does it have better battery life? On a side note, the PS4's Dualshock 4 is the worst console controller I have ever used since that stupid light kills your battery life. I have to recharge it every time I play 3 hours or so.

The triggers and joysticks are WAY more accurate. Since the inputs on both controllers are a digital representations of analog, it comes down to their resolution. And the XBO controller has significantly higher resolution. The feel of them is also a lot better. Oh, the D-Pad on the XBO is also sooooo much nicer. I have not compared the two with battery life, but it seems like the XBO is better. I am sure there are tests out there.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the XBO controller has a nicer feel too. I have gone back to play with a 360 controller and it really feel terrible. Especially the feel of the triggers. It feels like a cheap MadCatz controller in comparison.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
The triggers and joysticks are WAY more accurate. Since the inputs on both controllers are a digital representations of analog, it comes down to their resolution. And the XBO controller has significantly higher resolution. The feel of them is also a lot better. Oh, the D-Pad on the XBO is also sooooo much nicer. I have not compared the two with battery life, but it seems like the XBO is better. I am sure there are tests out there.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the XBO controller has a nicer feel too. I have gone back to play with a 360 controller and it really feel terrible. Especially the feel of the triggers. It feels like a cheap MadCatz controller in comparison.

Yeah the 360 controller does have a horrific D-pad. I imagine I'll eventually buy an XBone controller since I hate the huge wireless dongle you have to use with the 360 controller on PC. I wish you could use regular AA batteries on the XBone controller though. That's one of my favorite things about the 360, since wires on plug and charge kits tend to die young in my experience. I'd much rather just use rechargeable AA's like I do with my 360 controller.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
the xbox controller works surprisingly well. i've used it for a few games. hell, it even works on many non-steam games (though not all of them).

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I've been using gamepads on the PC for as long as I can remember, from the Gravis gamepad to the Xbone controller. There will always be games that feel better to me when playing on a controller, just as there will always be games that feel better with KB+M.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I wish you could use regular AA batteries on the XBone controller though.

You can.

the xbox controller works surprisingly well. i've used it for a few games. hell, it even works on many non-steam games (though not all of them).

Steam isn't the deciding factor, not by a long shot. It's whether the game devs included XInput (DirectInput for last gen games) or not.

Where are people getting their information?

EDIT: I should mention that XInput and DirectInput are not mandatory for 360 or Xbox One controllers to work. Any game that was made with joypad support will be compatible, including much older titles. It's just that with those, the prompts won't be as convenient.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveGrabowski

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
You can.

Steam isn't the deciding factor, not by a long shot. It's whether the game devs included XInput (DirectInput for last gen games) or not.

EDIT: I should mention that XInput and DirectInput are not mandatory for 360 or Xbox One controllers to work. Any game that was made with joypad support will be compatible, including much older titles. It's just that with those, the prompts won't be as convenient.

The reason people tie joypad support to steam is because valve encourages devs to have controller support when its feasible.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
You can.

Sorry I should have clarified. When I use the controller, it's through steam streaming from my main pc.
So I was surprised that the 360 controller works, on steam streaming, when launching (some) non-steam games through steam.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Steam is just a launcher, though. Like I said, it's the game itself that provides support. Streaming would have no effect on that at all. And why would it? It's just mirroring your PC screen.