Just started Stalker and it makes me dizzy

nitro28

Dec 11, 2004
I finished Crysis and COD4 so now it was on to Stalker. I started playing it and the way the screen shakes back and fourth when you walk or run kind of makes me dizzy. Anyone else have this issue? Not sure what I think of the game yet. Seems like you have to shoot things a ton to kill them (like the dogs in the beginning). Maybe its just the crappy pistol. I don't know, a bunch of you said it was a great game so I'll keep working on it. I just wish it would walk without the movement from side to side. I know they probably thought it would make it seem more real, but your eyes actually stay fixated on something in front of you when you move in real life and you don't notice the motion. With a screen moving they can't do that.

TestedAcorn

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2007
Well, most games have an option to turn head bobbing off. You should look for one, and if there isn't one, you MAY be able to look in the config files for it. I don't really know because i don't have the game.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
You can turn it off with a mod or by messing with some file or something. I hated the bob at first too. I could barely see anything while walking, especially combined with the tearing on my widescreen.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
There is a good chance you'll like STALKER if you really give it a chance, I tried to get into it, I really tried but ultimately I thought the game was boring and never touched it again.

But there is a LOT of content, from what I hear, STALKER is pretty much Oblivion with guns and FPS combat.

nitro28

Dec 11, 2004
Thanks, that mod did fix it. MUCH BETTER! It does feel like Oblivion a lot. I am kinda getting my butt kicked already, I really need some health kits or a better gun soon. Any mods for health or anything?

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
It's the headbobbing. I can take just about any game, even Quake 4 speed stuff, and Stalker made me sick when I started out.

You can turn it off in the menu, but you may need one of the latest patches. However, if you live with it a while, you get used to it. After a week or so, it stopped making me feel whoozy and I actually wanted it there. When I reinstalled the game, I think headbob was off by default, and I turned it back on cause it felt so much more "real".

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I played Quake 1,2 and 3, CS and HL1 in my younger days (13-16) against men and never had any sort of problem with an FPS. C&C Renegade I played heavily online with my 56k modem and was fine too.

I played Descent 3 and AvP1/2 with problems later on, only with the spaceship and the alien.

Half Life 2 made me ill very quickly and after that, Star Wars Republic Commando was fine. Stalker and most recently Bioshock make me queasy really quickly.

Im actually considering going to the Doctors to see if theres anything i can do from that perspective.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Elcs
Im actually considering going to the Doctors to see if theres anything i can do from that perspective.

Probably not too likely. It's a conflict between your visual system and your proprioceptive + vestibular systems.

All three affect balance, one (visual) is saying you're moving, the other two (proprioceptive + vestibular) say you aren't.

Result of mixed signals = nausea.

It's the same mechanism as sea-sickness, except there the vestibular system is usually the odd kid out.

Edit: I mean, there are meds to help sea/motion sickness, but I'd bet your MD would be a bit hesitant to write you a prescription just so you can play shooters. But, who knows?

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: nitro28
Thanks, that mod did fix it. MUCH BETTER! It does feel like Oblivion a lot. I am kinda getting my butt kicked already, I really need some health kits or a better gun soon. Any mods for health or anything?

You get more accurate guns as you progress and you'll note when playing Stalker you have to play it differently to other shooters, you can't run and gun and expect to live its more stealth/tactics/good aim :). Remember to search the bodies of guys and stuff you kill, thats how you get food/bandages/medkits.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
If you play STALKER for about 45 minutes - 1 hour, the headbobbing no longer has any affect on you. Modding it out seems like a shame, but if it does inevitably up your enjoyment, then so be it.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
I bought Stalker yesterday off of Steam. The head bobbing doesn't make me sick, but it does annoy me. But the mods that I have found don't seem to work with my copy. Is Steam the culprit?