Just sold my digital cam. Getting new one, which between these two?

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Ok, I sold my Sony DSC-P30 for 140 with my 64 meg memory stick to a friend. So, now I'm in the market for a new camera. I've narrowed it down to these two cams. The Sony DSC-P51 for about 270 and the Nikon Coolpix 2500 for about 299.

I like how the Sony can record in MPG ex, which means no limits. That, plus I have a citibank sony card with enough points for like.... 15 bucks off. :) I know, not much.

The Nikon has an extra 1x optical zoom and another 1x digital zoom. It has no optical viewfinder, but then I never use the optical viewfinder anyway. The nikon also has that neat swiveling lens so I can take pictures of say, me and my girlfriend and still see what the picture is gonna look like. The nikon is also a little faster and uses compact flash instead of the sony memory sticks.

EDIT: Added retail prices

EDIT2: I do not like the A40. I don't like the menu system and I don't like the size or design of the camera.

EDIT3: Votes from my GF and her sister, they both choose the Nikon.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
a40

The a40 is a nice camera, but then its too big and I don't like the way it feels when I hold it. I also don't like the design or the menu system.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
That being the case, I think the best camera of the 2 is the nikon

Over in hot deals they says fry's got em for 239. I can pricematch to staples and use a 40 off or 30 off coupon. Nikon here i come!

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I know very little about the two camera choices that you have posted. However, if I were to pick one, I'd go with the Nikon 2500. However, since you don't like the size of the Canon A40, would you consider spending a little more money for another Canon? The Canon S40 is a 4 megapixel camera, but has a very small form-factor. Although, the price is approximately $500 - which may be over your budget and 4 megapixels might be overkill depending on your specific needs.

Good luck with your camera purchase! I love the technology employed by digital cameras because like computers, the technology gets cheaper by the day and the speed and quality keeps improving.