Just Sayin No To Obama/Biden, One Cupcake At A Time

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Not understand what? Bummers speech? I, like tens of millions of other Americans, understood what he said just fine. It's right there in post 66 of this thread. Just go to the section that was bolded, and go up a few lines. Obama agrees with me, not you, given he's the one that said it quite clearly.

So you are proud that you and tens of millions of other Americans are incredibly dense and can't have simple things explained to them because they lack critical thinking skills. Be proud of that and continue to lie about what was said because that is the kind of person you are.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
That's the spin angle you're sticking with? Good luck selling that, no one is buying. Keep pushing though, just makes the spin that much more clear and desperate. :thumbsup:

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
That's the spin angle you're sticking with? Good luck selling that, no one is buying. Keep pushing though, just makes the spin that much more clear and desperate. :thumbsup:

Incomparable, nehalem, is that you? I already ignored your stupid ass on your alt accounts, wtf? Grow a pair and stick with one name.

Nov 30, 2006
Incomparable, nehalem, is that you? I already ignored your stupid ass on your alt accounts, wtf? Grow a pair and stick with one name.
Perhaps you should just ignore every Conservative who disagrees with you as likely Incomparable alts. I'm sure you'll be so much happier that way.

Oct 25, 2006
So you are proud that you and tens of millions of other Americans are incredibly dense and can't have simple things explained to them because they lack critical thinking skills. Be proud of that and continue to lie about what was said because that is the kind of person you are.

Actually..that is mostly true.

Majority of the population believes in a God that actively takes part in the lives of people.

And shows his face in burnt toast

Last edited:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I doubt Romney has some overriding concern for the poor and I doubt Bush at the time he said that had a massive concern about OBL given the other more important sh1t he had going on. Neither of those changes what Obama said, and the spin his supporters are engaging in to limit the damage.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I doubt Romney has some overriding concern for the poor and I doubt Bush at the time he said that had a massive concern about OBL given the other more important sh1t he had going on.
Bit of spin there, don't you think? Or perhaps when it's your side on the receiving end, you are better able to understand the difference between context and spin.

Neither of those changes what Obama said, and the spin his supporters are engaging in to limit the damage.
You mean when he said this:
"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."
Same speech, a couple sentences later, summarizing what he'd just said. It's called context, not spin.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
No spin at all. If the room you're in is on fire, you don't worry about a worm in your rose garden. Iraq was on fire, why would he have some massive worry about OBL whose group was essentially AWOL, except for Iraq and Afghanistan (where we already are) for years up to that point? Why would he not say he's not worried to give OBL more of a sense of complancency? Nothing to loose there. OBL's group did 9/11, and OBL was the head of that group. No POTUS, ever, is going to not be wanting to get OBL. No context, no spin, needed for any of that.

Contrast that with: "If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

No more context and CYA spin needed there. Those are his words. And like I said before, it's not even those words that are the biggest problem, it's the sentiment in its entirety. It's been a failure for Dem's trying to spin what I just quoted, good luck spinning the 'Others worked to earn money, since you used what their output is/was, you need to support more contributions to the group' logic.

That's even more disasterous than my quoted part. Yikes....you'd think you guys would just take the hit and let it die, like Romney is hoping with his taxes, but no, spin machine engaged haha, can't shut it down.....Rahm is that you?

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Bowfinger its pointless.

Conservatives think liberals believe this nonsense a priori. The fact that they can glom on to an out of context quote to confirm a pre-conceived notion just makes it worse.

And lets face it, they are doing this from a position of weakness.

Their candidate is atrocious and is running a horrible campaign and normally in this type of economy the contender should have an easy time of defeating an incumbant but not even the 1 week buzz from the Ryan addition seems to be helping.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
No spin at all. If the room you're in is on fire, you don't worry about a worm in your rose garden. Iraq was on fire, why would he have some massive worry about OBL whose group was essentially AWOL, except for Iraq and Afghanistan (where we already are) for years up to that point? Why would he not say he's not worried to give OBL more of a sense of complancency? Nothing to loose there. OBL's group did 9/11, and OBL was the head of that group. No POTUS, ever, is going to not be wanting to get OBL. No context, no spin, needed for any of that.

Contrast that with: "If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

No more context and CYA spin needed there. Those are his words. And like I said before, it's not even those words that are the biggest problem, it's the sentiment in its entirety. It's been a failure for Dem's trying to spin what I just quoted, good luck spinning the 'Others worked to earn money, since you used what their output is/was, you need to support more contributions to the group' logic.

That's even more disasterous than my quoted part. Yikes....you'd think you guys would just take the hit and let it die, like Romney is hoping with his taxes, but no, spin machine engaged haha, can't shut it down.....Rahm is that you?

Case in point.

It is my belief that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to deceive - Mark Twain

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012

The word "that" in the sentence doesn't refer to the business. It refers to the infrastructure mentioned in the preceding sentences.

This has been spelled out numerous times.

If the pronoun referenced the business, it would have been "it". And there wouldn't have been the obvious pause in the sentence.

Listening to the clip makes it 100% clear what Obama was saying.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Yowza! Spin, spin, spin! You must be getting dizzy.

The mastermind of the worst terrorist attack against the United States, the worst terrorist in our history, and President Bush said he didn't care about him. Really? I am positively outraged, outraged I tell you!!!!

Or I would be if I was too ignorant or too partisan to understand context.

My attention span is better than that. I can digest whole paragraphs:
"If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

Fortunately, only the right-wing fringe and die-hard Foxbots are swallowing the RNC spin on this. Rational people find nothing objectionable at all about the thought that we succeed because we work together. It's sort of the basis of society. But if you're really so deluded that you think you can build a successful business all by your lonesome, give it a shot ... in places like Guatemala or Somalia, where you don't have the horrible burden of America's extraordinary infrastructure holding you down.

Last edited:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Hmmmmm, Obama is clearly not talking about business owners building their business there, he's instead talking about.....whatever Dem's need to spin to. Right. Yeah. Alrighty...

Lulz..... :D

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Yowza! Spin, spin, spin! You must be getting dizzy.

The mastermind of the worst terrorist attack against the United States, the worst terrorist in our history, and President Bush said he didn't care about him. Really? I am positively outraged, outraged I tell you!!!!

Of I would be if I was too ignorant or too partisan to understand context.

My attention span is better than that. I can digest whole paragraphs:
"If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

Fortunately, only the right-wing fringe and die-hard Foxbots are swallowing the RNC spin on this. Rational people find nothing objectionable at all about the thought that we succeed because we work together. It's sort of the basis of society. But if you're really so deluded that you think you can build a successful business all by your lonesome, give it a shot ... in places like Guatemala or Somalia, where you don't have the horrible burden of America's extraordinary infrastructure holding you down.

Mmmmmmm....the spin going on is delicious. Hey, whatever you need to tell yourself man to keep believing it. You're not convincing anyone else that's not already on your side, but, you sure are trying! Haha! :D :thumbsup:

What's next: You're not wet --- because of the thunderstorm you just walked through. Evaporation did that.

Dem's: Damnit, Obama wasn't talking about water from the thunderstorm, he was talking about water from the....<F think of something, anything!!!>...uh, sea, yeah, that's it!, and um, he wasn't talking about being wet, he, uh, was, um, er, F!, yeah!, he was talking about when just generally people go swimming. Yeah! People go swimming and they swim in the sea and people can't take credit for that, because, the sea is greater than any one of us combined.

Obama 2012!!!!! <Dean Scream>

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Mmmmmmm....the spin going on is delicious. Hey, whatever you need to tell yourself man to keep believing it. You're not convincing anyone else that's not already on your side, but, you sure are trying! Haha! :D :thumbsup:

What's next: You're not wet --- because of the thunderstorm you just walked through. Evaporation did that.

Dem's: Damnit, Obama wasn't talking about water from the thunderstorm, he was talking about water from the....<F think of something, anything!!!>...uh, sea, yeah, that's it!, and um, he wasn't talking about being wet, he, uh, was, um, er, F!, yeah!, he was talking about when just generally people go swimming. Yeah! People go swimming and they swim in the sea and people can't take credit for that, because, the sea is greater than any one of us combined.

Obama 2012!!!!! <Dean Scream>
You're kind of moving into 'tard territory now. Just sayin'.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Hmmmmm, Obama is clearly not talking about business owners building their business there, he's instead talking about.....whatever Dem's need to spin to. Right. Yeah. Alrighty...

Pronouns refer to nouns used previously within a context. Not always the noun most recently used in the context.

This has been explained to you repeatedly. The full paragraph has also been provided.

There are only two options here: you are either not intelligent enough to understand what context means, or you are deliberately ignoring that context. (What you hope to accomplish by doing so is beyond me, but whatever.)

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
We moved into 'tard territory when Obama said that, then further moved into it when Dem's actually attempted to spin it. It's not me who took us there...

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Pronouns refer to nouns used previously within a context. Not always the noun most recently used in the context.

This has been explained to you repeatedly. The full paragraph has also been provided.

There are only two options here: you are either not intelligent enough to understand what context means, or you are deliberately ignoring that context. (What you hope to accomplish by doing so is beyond me, but whatever.)

Spinnin...oh spinnin....

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Spinnin...oh spinnin....

Context is not "spin".

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
"If you&#8217;ve got a business -- you didn&#8217;t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

Spinning, Dem's keep on spinnin.... :D