Just Sayin No To Obama/Biden, One Cupcake At A Time

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Had a wonderful time walking around downtown Washington, DC tonight. The heat is fading and people are getting energized about the upcoming elections.

Both the R and the D players are spending time in Virginia, deemed a "battleground" or "swing" state. Driving to and from my office I can listen to locals talk about seeing or meeting these national politicians that we usually only glimpse as they pass by in heavily armored motorcades with Secret Service agents with HK MP5s at the ready.

Most everyone around here has an opinion, but the issue that has folks really riled up is Obama's claim that entrepreneurs and small business people didn't build their businesses, the federal government did.

These candidates are always looking for a photo op on thier way to and from the big programmed events.

Well, Crazy Uncle Joe Biden was heading down into Roanoke, Virginia and he must have not been paying attention to Michelle O, cause he got this powerful hankering for a cupcake or two.

His advance staff ran into the Crumb and Get It bakery and asked if the owners would mind if good ol' Joe stopped in to chow down on their cupcakes and take a few photos.

It happens all the time, right, a man's gotta eat, especially when he gets that powerful craving for a red velvet cupcake.

But... If you get a reputation for dissing hard working people trying to make a living, well, let's just say that the welcome mat was not out for Joe.

Here is a link to the video -

VIRGINIA BAKERY REFUSES TO SERVE BIDEN; ANGRY OVER 'YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT'

What makes this story so special is that, after the Crumb and Get It owner turns down Biden and his entourage, the Secret Service dropped by, told the owner "Thanks for standing up and saying 'no'," and then they bought a whole bunch of cookies and cupcakes. This makes me smile. :D

Like I said, the weather is turning, and you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Last edited:

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
It is getting late and I have an early day tomorrow to keep growing my business, the business that I built while paying humongous amounts of licensing, payroll, local, state and federal taxes. Taxes hitting me up first on business income and then again on my personal wages paid by the business - a double whammy. Actually a triple whammy as the investments I buy with my after tax income is subject to capital gains taxation. We are Taxed Enough, America!

Don't think that the OP set in Roanoke is all that unique. Check this out.

OBAMA42_1345067880.jpg

Iowa deli co-owner caters for Obama visit, but his T-shirt tells another story

DAVENPORT, Iowa — Ross Murty likes business, but he doesn’t like President Obama.

And so the co-owner of the Village Corner Deli here agreed to cater Obama’s visit Wednesday — but not before donning a T-shirt blaring the message: “Government didn’t build my business. I did.”

It was a reference to a remark Obama made several weeks ago that his Republican opponent, Mitt Romney, has seized upon to portray Obama as anti-business. Obama, referring to the help government provides to businesses by building roads and providing education and other services, said, “If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that."

“No one from the government was there when we were sweating it, when we were building this business,” Murty said. Before him was a bank of chafing dishes filled with smoked beef brisket, pulled pork, vegetable parmesan bake and cheesy hash brown casserole provided to the White House press corps covering the president’s three-day swing across Iowa this week.

Murty, 45, a registered Republican, didn’t really have a choice with the catering job. His partner, Bret Dalton (a registered Democrat), accepted the work on Saturday while Murty was away in Chicago watching a Cubs game. Dalton volunteered for Vice President Biden’s presidential campaign in 1988, when he was a student at Iowa State University.

But that’s not why he got the contract.

“One of Obama’s lead people came into the deli Saturday morning,” Dalton said. “I didn’t even know it was for Obama until that night.”

When he found out, though, Dalton had some fun. He called up Murty, who was driving back from Chicago, and asked: “Guess who’s coming to town this week?”

“He was a little stunned,” Dalton recalled. But the two take their political disagreements in stride, and the conversation was all in good fun, both said.

“I would never say no to anybody for any reason,” Murty said. “My partner and I have different views in politics, but business is business.”

The White House performs background checks on contractors for security reasons, but it does not vet them for their political views. Also, the caterers are hired to provide food for the White House press corps, which pays for the food, even though the White House makes the arrangements.

The Obama campaign had no comment on Murty's T-shirt.

But the Romney campaign seized on the moment, circulating pictures that reporters had tweeted of Murty with his controversial T-shirt. “Mr. President, please stay another day!” the Romney campaign e-mail said.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2006
I love it how people just lap up what pundits say and ignore everything else.

Its almost stunning that this is how most of America acts in their political views.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
...the Secret Service dropped by, told the owner "''Thanks for standing up and saying 'no'," and then they bought a whole bunch of cookies and cupcakes...
I cannot bring myself to support Breitbart by clicking your link, so I must inquire if you (or they) have actual evidence to validate your accusation of unprofessional conduct by the Vice President's protective detail.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Most everyone around here has an opinion, but the issue that has folks really riled up is Obama's claim that entrepreneurs and small business people didn't build their businesses, the federal government did.

That would be fascinating if ever such a claim was actually made.

Oh well, the Dems are going to obliterate the Romney/Ryan ticket by claiming they're going to dismantle Medicare and toss old people in a ditch to die.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I cannot bring myself to support Breitbart by clicking your link, so I must inquire if you (or they) have actual evidence to validate your accusation of unprofessional conduct by the Vice President's protective detail.

You really should, Breitbart is the bees knees!

But, since you deign to stay uniformly uninformed by relying only on news from the political left, let me inform you that the OP story is from WDBJ/Channel 7 News in Roanoke, VA and the second story that I link is from the Washington Compost.

I know the Compost swings left, not sure about Channel 7. :cool:

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
..the OP story is from WDBJ/Channel 7 News in Roanoke, VA..
Thank you for editing your OP away from the original link, though I note you do not acknowledge that change.

"I'm told that"...

I'm glad to know there's no legitimate basis for your snide insinuation against the Secret Service.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Yet another story that proves an old statement by George Carlin. "Think of how stupid the average person is, now realize half the people are stupider than that." Thanks to the people who prove that half that's stupider vote GOP.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
After listening to this guy, I wonder if his wife Kelly knows about his extra deep closet! Sheesh.

That said, congrats to the guy who turned down the business. You don't do that unless you think you can make money. Principals and values don't contact the press. He's taking a calculated risk and it'll probably pay off a hell of a lot more than having just let the VP come. Now he can be a wingnut messiah and the sheep can flock to his alter of diabetes and obesity. He has a right to be as big a moron as he wants.

Love the "I'm told" SS story at the end... priceless. ... and you don't need a weatherman to know who is full of shit...

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I'm glad to know there's no legitimate basis for your snide insinuation against the Secret Service.

Neither mine, nor snide, just a report for you to accept or reject as you please.

Does bring up a memory of the Secret Service opinion of the Clintons, though.

I'll save that one for another day. :cool:

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Neither mine, nor snide, just a reported fact for you to accept or reject as you please.
Indeed.
...What makes this story so special is that, after the Crumb and Get It owner turns down Biden and his entourage, the Secret Service dropped by, told the owner "''Thanks for standing up and saying 'no'," and then they bought a whole bunch of cookies and cupcakes. This makes me smile. :D

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
It is getting late and I have an early day tomorrow to keep growing my business, the business that I built while paying humongous amounts of licensing, payroll, local, state and federal taxes. Taxes hitting me up first on business income and then again on my personal wages paid by the business - a double whammy. ...
Cool story. I have a question, however. In America, employee wages are a business expense, subtracted from business income before calculating income taxes on the remaining profit. Wages are not double taxed at all. One would think as a (purported) American business owner, you would understand this. What a tangled web we weave ...

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Cool story. I have a question, however. In America, employee wages are a business expense, subtracted from business income before calculating income taxes on the remaining profit. Wages are not double taxed at all. One would think as a (purported) American business owner, you would understand this. What a tangled web we weave ...

LOL, you are making a convoluted statement rather than asking a question. My suggestion is that, in any case, you should seek the professional advice of a tax attorney and tax accountant. Straight away.

Quick question for you, though... did these entrepreneurs build their businesses or did Obama?

:awe:

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
LOL, you are making a convoluted statement rather than asking a question.
:awe:

Actually, he pretty accurately pointed out that most business owners seem to not understand how to properly run a business in this country these days, by pointing out your ignorance to a simple and well known tax law.

Then you deflect, attack, and run.

Typical.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Actually, he pretty accurately pointed out that most business owners seem to not understand how to properly run a business in this country these days, by pointing out your ignorance to a simple and well known tax law.

Then you deflect, attack, and run.

Typical.

I did not run far, just to get my Chik-Fil-A samwich from the thread about guvm'nt feeding hungry children. That thread was TL;DR, so I came back here. You just beat me back here because they ran out of chicken samwiches and you did not get one.

While y'all would dearly like to turn this discussion into a personal attack on me, I would really like you to reply with an answer to the simple question that I posed to Bowfinger... did these entrepreneurs build their businesses or did Obama? :confused:

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I did not run far, just to get my Chik-Fil-A samwich from the thread about guvm'nt feeding hungry children. That thread was TL;DR, so I came back here. You just beat me back here because they ran out of chicken samwiches and you did not get one.

While y'all would dearly like to turn this discussion into a personal attack on me, I would really like you to reply with an answer to the simple question that I posed to Bowfinger... did these entrepreneurs build their businesses or did Obama? :confused:

God help you. I cannot believe how you people just drink the Kool Aid and completely ignore such basic tenants of our education system such as context and communication comprehension.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
God help you. I cannot believe how you people just drink the Kool Aid and completely ignore such basic tenants of our education system such as context and communication comprehension.

I take it that you think the government built their businesses and just refuse to say it since you know this answer is stupid.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
LOL!

You are inspirational.

I just clicked to Breitbart again and dedicated that click to Pr0d1gy.

I hope she appreciates the gesture!

:cool:

I'd love to see you say that my face, pussy.

I take it that you think the government built their businesses and just refuse to say it since you know this answer is stupid.

I think the government built almost everything that made their businesses succesful on a day to day basis. Whether it is the military that keeps their business from being bombed into oblivion, or the roads and schools that allow consumers to access their businesses, you cannot deny that their businesses did not just magically become succesful because they chose to open it.

I don't know why people have to keep explaining this stuff to you people when all it takes is a 10 second search in any browser to find the FULL speech and not the half a sentence you guys keep running off at the mouth about.

I mean honestly, you guys do realize that you supporting this behavior just means that both sides will begin doing it more and more, right?