Just Say No To College

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 19, 2001
Dude OP, just cuz you never had the ability to make it through a half decent college doesn't mean you tell everyone to not go to school. Tell that to people shooting for engineering. Good luck getting hired by Apple or Google or Intel.

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Today's assignment, calculate the cost of an iPhone over 4 years including the interest on student loans.

Calculate the cost of a trip to Vegas over spring break on student loans. /my friends in college.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
spent years trying to translate his expertise in post-colonial critical theory

There is the problem. You're welcome.

Somewhere here on AT there was a post about the degrees that do indeed net students jobs post graduation with decent pay no less... It is a safe bet that degrees in the arts and anthropology weren't cited in that post.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
So many of the elite in here push College.

They must personally profit being related to a school.
I always get a kick out of old guys struggling in life downplaying the importance of college :thumbsup:

----

College is not necessary for success depending on the individual and their goals. If I came out of high school today and wasn't going into a trade, and I didn't have college, I hope I'd realize my job prospects suck crap. College is more important than ever in supporting a good career and it can be done without insane amounts of debt if one is careful with school selection (though debt is still likely to be there and still suck, but not be life-crushing).
They're told that statistic over and over until they believe that college automatically equals earning more, and non-college automatically equals earning less.
Some probably think it's automatic. They'd be wrong, but certainly all things equal the college-educated person makes a great deal more money than the one without. Statistics bear this out time and again. College remains one of the best monetary investments one can make, even if the debt loads of current students are abhorrent. The magnifier on income is huge. Some are not cut out for college, though, and should not waste their time and money on toilet paper degrees (e.g. sociology).

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
College isn't necessary unless you plan on doing something like uhh

Anything in the science/engineering/math/etc fields

Most companies would laugh you out of an interview if you said you were a self-taught civil engineer with no experience (lol @ the chance of even landing an interview).

I laugh even more at the prospect of getting a job designing integrated circuits without a college degree (that may have been possible 20 years ago, but probably not anymore or at least extremely unlikely).

Regardless if you think college is useful or not, at one point in your life you'll be competing for a job with someone who has a college degree. Unless you are much more experienced than the college graduate, you'll likely be on the chopping block first.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
College isn't necessary unless you plan on doing something like uhh

Anything in the science/engineering/math/etc fields

Most companies would laugh you out of an interview if you said you were a self-taught civil engineer with no experience (lol @ the chance of even landing an interview).

Regardless if you think college is useful or not, at one point in your life you'll be competing for a job with someone who has a college degree. Unless you are much more experienced than the college graduate, you'll likely be on the chopping block first.
And it is a literal requirement for many jobs. Where I am it is not just hard, but functionally impossible to get promoted beyond a certain point without a four year degree. Arguing the merits of whether this is reasonable or not (it probably isn't) is a waste of breath, because it is what it is, and it is like this in many places. I have worked at another company that has 0% of its staff without degrees. It will trash your resume point blank without a second thought if you lack a degree. That's the world. It doesn't always make sense, but that is how it is and you shut a sh*t load of doors if you lack a degree in the tech fields in particular.

Nov 8, 2012
I always get a kick out of old guys struggling in life downplaying the importance of college :thumbsup:

----

College is not necessary for success depending on the individual and their goals. If I came out of high school today and wasn't going into a trade, and I didn't have college, I hope I'd realize my job prospects suck crap. College is more important than ever in supporting a good career and it can be done without insane amounts of debt if one is careful with school selection (though debt is still likely to be there and still suck, but not be life-crushing).Some probably think it's automatic. They'd be wrong, but certainly all things equal the college-educated person makes a great deal more money than the one without. Statistics bear this out time and again. College remains one of the best monetary investments one can make, even if the debt loads of current students are abhorrent. The magnifier on income is huge. Some are not cut out for college, though, and should not waste their time and money on toilet paper degrees (e.g. sociology).

Shush!

The truth hurts, and you're breaking his heart :(

But no - there are still plenty of options other than college, it just comes in another form of going to school. You aren't going to pop out of HS and be elligible for a decent job. At all. But let's take a look at various ways you can definitely get far without college - but each of these usually requires some kind of secondy school, thereby defeating this thread
-Cooking (Culinary School)
-Hair Dressing (Requires Cosmo-type school)
-Information Technology (Certifications - hard without classes but if you're good with books doable without classes with lots of studying).
-Acting (though college helps here)
-Modeling?

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
And it is a literal requirement for many jobs. Where I am it is not just hard, but functionally impossible to get promoted beyond a certain point without a four year degree.

The last two companies I've worked at it has been a requirement. They will trash your resume even if you've been to a trade school.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Thats enough of that talk . I enjoy pulling into fill tank and hand money to college grad working the registers. Or phone marketing . or picking up my garbage. It does my heart good to see the educated monkeys scrapping for peanuts

Nov 8, 2012
The last two companies I've worked at it has been a requirement. They will trash your resume even if you've been to a trade school.

I feel bad for those that went to ITT Technical Institute, Phoenix College, or Devry University that think they got the equivalent :D Oh those poor poor souls...

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
I feel bad for those that went to ITT Technical Institute, Phoenix College, or Devry University that think they got the equivalent :D Oh those poor poor souls...

I feel bad too ... but it was really their own fault =/ They need to research the schools that they are about to drop a money into.

I don't see why people think college is expensive. My local state school which is just fine is less than 5K a year for tuition. I don't see how someone can't pay off 20k in 10 years.

Fuck, I wish I only had 20K in student loans to pay off. There is no doubt in my mind that to get where I am today that I could have bypassed college. Simply by the requirements to get an interview. College was essential.

Nov 8, 2012
I feel bad too ... but it was really their own fault =/ They need to research the schools that they are about to drop a money into.

I don't see why people think college is expensive. My local state school which is just fine is less than 5K a year for tuition. I don't see how someone can't pay off 20k in 10 years.

Fuck, I wish I only had 20K in student loans to pay off. There is no doubt in my mind that to get where I am today that I could have bypassed college. Simply by the requirements to get an interview. College was essential.

Just like I said in another thread in a COMPLETELY unrelated topic - yet oh so similar....

Victims of marketing. It's gone pretty far obviously.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Thats enough of that talk . I enjoy pulling into fill tank and hand money to college grad working the registers. Or phone marketing . or picking up my garbage. It does my heart good to see the educated monkeys scrapping for peanuts

Heh :p

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The part I bolded is where the bullshit begins. High school students aren't very good at understanding averages of averages. They fail to realize that a trade: plumber, electrician, linesman, mechanic, etc., will make 2 to 3 times what someone with a bachelor's degree in psychology, sociology, gender studies, etc., makes. They're told that statistic over and over until they believe that college automatically equals earning more, and non-college automatically equals earning less.

I agree but that doesn't mean we need to start a 'Just say no to college' thread.

Feb 19, 2001
When I finally meet someone more stupid that you. I am going to be here a long time.

You should actually stay when you find someone stupider than him. It's these people who want to be millionaires without going to college that make me laugh. If America wants to sink down the toilethole, I'll gladly put in some extra effort so I can compete with my Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Indian cohorts.

College isn't the reason why the US is dropping through the ranks. It's wasting 4 years on a stupid degree with 20-year-olds having no direction in life that's causing us to slump.

In fact, too many people think college is just good enough. Hell no. It's almost as necessary as a high school diploma now. There's enough of my friends who have advanced degrees, and practically all of my core friends except a select few have an MS and if not are going on to their PhDs or in some professional school.

At the end of the day it's not about the debt. So I pay $80,000 more or even $120,000 more. When I'm 55 and the layoffs are coming, they'll keep the PhDs. They'll keep the SMEs. They'll keep the valuable folks. While your high school diploma is struggling to find a high paying job 30 years down the road because no one will pay you except Walmart, I'll happily jump ship to the next tech company without skipping a beat. Even if I stay employed for 1 more year, my degree already paid off. Let's not forget that I'll probably be paid more than your high school diploma ass will be to begin with.

And before you start with the exceptions how you know someone who rose from a McDonalds worker to a director with no degree, well I'm sure there are cases like that with college grads where certain people just rise through the ranks relatively easily.

Feb 19, 2001
The thing is I don't even have that much sympathy for those struggling now without a degree. My parents are in their 60s and my mom has 2 MS degrees while my dad has a PhD. My mom came to this country with a rice cooker and some clothes. The way they slaved their asses off and were able to do well... that's the American dream to me.

It's funny to see the foreigners come into this country and do so well while the whiners are those native born and who don't try at all. You wonder why that's a problem...

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
In my imaginary world, only people going into engineering and science would be eligible for student loans.

I wish I didn't drop out of college. I do ok now ($50k/yr) with no degree or education post H.S., but I'm pigeon holed in a specific job.

Nov 8, 2012
The thing is I don't even have that much sympathy for those struggling now without a degree. My parents are in their 60s and my mom has 2 MS degrees while my dad has a PhD. My mom came to this country with a rice cooker and some clothes. The way they slaved their asses off and were able to do well... that's the American dream to me.

It's funny to see the foreigners come into this country and do so well while the whiners are those native born and who don't try at all. You wonder why that's a problem...

Entitlements

03112011.jpg

The government should revolve around what I want to do for my job. They should also magically create the demand with pixie dust. Furthermore, they need to ignore the concept of supply and demand and make my wages past the national average and into the 6 figure range. Yes yes, I know there are 5000 other people that applied with the same skill(less) - but for some reason I'm entitled to more. It's the american dream baby.