Just pulled the trigger on a refurbed i7 MBA

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I was waiting for the Ivy Bridge refresh, but when I saw all the talk about high temperatures, I was wondering if if might take a little longer for them to introduce the new processors. And I really need a machine now as my current laptop is dying.

Aside from that, my biggest disappointment is no USB 3.0, but other than that it has absolutely everything I want.

Also, I got Apple Care. I usually never buy extended warranties but I felt this time it was warranted as most people seem to have a good experience with Apple Care, and it's a refurbished machine.

I'm sure I'll have lot of questions on here, but for now... Should I check to make sure I got the faster SSD controller when it comes in? If not, should I replace it? Would that void the Applecare warranty?

Thanks!

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
My understanding is that if there isn't a sticker on it, and it isn't soldered down, then no, they can't stop you.

Keep the old one in case anything goes wrong, but I don't believe that it voids the warranty. Replacing the battery I think would void it, but they claim that it is good for 5 years or 1000 cycles, whatever comes first, and what that means is (at least based on the older MacBooks), that it should retain at least 80% of its stated capacity at that point, if it is significantly less than that, then you would have a case to get it replaced for free I would imagine.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
I'm sure I'll have lot of questions on here, but for now... Should I check to make sure I got the faster SSD controller when it comes in? If not, should I replace it? Would that void the Applecare warranty?

Thanks!

You can check in System Information (Apple Menu => About This Mac => System Report).
Go to Serial-ATA. It will say APPLE SSD <some_model_number>.

SMXXX is a Samsung (equivalent to the 470) controller that is faster. XXX is the capacity.
TSXXX is the Toshiba (slower) controller. No opening required.

Plus, to open it, you need a pentalobe screwdriver from iFixit or OWC. Apple puts these screws to keep customers out.

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
My understanding is that if there isn't a sticker on it, and it isn't soldered down, then no, they can't stop you.

Keep the old one in case anything goes wrong, but I don't believe that it voids the warranty. Replacing the battery I think would void it, but they claim that it is good for 5 years or 1000 cycles, whatever comes first, and what that means is (at least based on the older MacBooks), that it should retain at least 80% of its stated capacity at that point, if it is significantly less than that, then you would have a case to get it replaced for free I would imagine.

From what I've heard from the people I've sold or given the Air's to, the majority seems to have given up well before that.

I would imagine it's the usual Apple hype. Typical 'everyday' life appears to be just over the warranty period (i.e. well before 4 years, or pretty similar to many other Li-Ion cells). Fortunately they offer a perfectly reasonably priced battery exchange.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
From what I've heard from the people I've sold or given the Air's to, the majority seems to have given up well before that.

I would imagine it's the usual Apple hype. Typical 'everyday' life appears to be just over the warranty period (i.e. well before 4 years, or pretty similar to many other Li-Ion cells). Fortunately they offer a perfectly reasonably priced battery exchange.

Wait, hold on. You are saying that people are seeing just over 4 years effective life from the Airs that you have either given or sold them?

Are these people from the future? The 1000 cycles/5 years claim* was first bandied about in Jan '09 when the 17" Unibody was rolled out. The MacBook Air got that battery tech with the Oct '10 model (when the 11" was unveiled).

Last edited:

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
MBA's don't have SSD

the flash is on the motherboard

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

This is basically the only aftermarket SSD for the MBAs (and the Asus ZenBook as it is a straight up carbon copy of the Air) that I know of. A lot of Ultrabooks are using the mSATA standard, which is about the same size as a mPCIe card. The Air is using what I believe is referred to as the uSATA (u = mu) standard, which is an official standard that basically only they are using.

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
Wait, hold on. You are saying that people are seeing just over 4 years effective life from the Airs that you have either given or sold them?

Are these people from the future? The 1000 cycles/5 years claim* was first bandied about in Jan '09 when the 17" Unibody was rolled out. The MacBook Air got that battery tech with the Oct '10 model (when the 11" was unveiled).

I could have phrased that better, couldn't I.

It's down to history. Cyclewise, from what I've seen neither I or the people I give my old machines to rack up high cycle counts - yet I've dealt with a pretty high rate of low-cycle long-term battery failure on Apple hardware, probably more than Dell, which I think is the next worst among the machines I've had.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
I could have phrased that better, couldn't I.

It's down to history. Cyclewise, from what I've seen neither I or the people I give my old machines to rack up high cycle counts - yet I've dealt with a pretty high rate of low-cycle long-term battery failure on Apple hardware, probably more than Dell, which I think is the next worst among the machines I've had.

I have a small sample to work from, but most of the Apple OEM batteries that I have seen seldom live up to their cycle count ratings. The anomaly would be an OG MacBook that my mom has, still has the original battery and it rates at something like 90% original capacity. Has over 400 cycles at this point.

But my OG MacBook went through at least 2 batteries in 4-5 years. And the same goes for my old roommate's '08 MBP. The original MagSafe was also poorly designed, a lot of little issues with the early intel Macs. I think that most have been sorted out at this point, at least from what I have heard on the internet. And I know that my '10 Air certainly seems to be well put together.