Just paid $47.20 in library fees....

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
On the way out I got at least 20 cents of value back by taking an extra long swig at the water fountain.

Blah, I wonder what else $47.20 could have bought me...

S

SlitheryDee

Oh shit. I just remembered that I still have the library's "Atlas Shrugged" in my trunk from a year and a half ago. ohshitohshitohshit. :Q

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill
On the way out I got at least 20 cents of value back by taking an extra long swig at the water fountain.

a decent amount of good beer.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Originally posted by: TallBill

a decent amount of good beer.

Yeah, I drove past Binny's on the way home too with a sad face thinking about said beer.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
Oh shit. I just remembered that I still have the library's "Atlas Shrugged" in my trunk from a year and a half ago. ohshitohshitohshit. :Q

Well, maybe some good can come from this thread.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee

On behalf of the reading public, we thank you.

Mojoed

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2004
Originally posted by: astroidea
I got charged $24 for returning a book a $10 book a week late to my the school library. :(

That's some pretty shitty fine there. My local library system charges $.15 per day late fee.

l0cke

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2005
I have had a $7 one since I was like 12 and I still need to pay it off. Maybe tomorrow...

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: astroidea
I got charged $24 for returning a book a $10 book a week late to my the school library. :(

You couldn't just take the book away and instantly lose it and pay $10?

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I'm a former librarian and can see both sides of the issue.

First, library patrons really need to take responsibility for the books they borrow and be prepared to pay the fee for late/lost/damaged materials. Where else can you borrow hundreds of dollars worth of books, videos, DVDs, software and other materials with a little more than a promise to return them? Want to avoid late fees? Return the materials on time like you said you would. Which reminds me I have an overdue book in the back of my car.

I can't count the number of times patrons returned materials late or just completely destroyed them and then where outraged that we expected them to pay a fee. At my last library we loaned books for 4 weeks, and they could be renewed for another 4, but people still bitched that we were ripping them off by charging 10 cents/day late fees when they kept books beyond the two month max.

My favorite incident was over $200 worth of books that came back soaked in cat pee, and the patron claimed we must have done it because we didn?t like her. I only WISH I could have come up with something like that because, after all, I did hate that particular patron.

Children?s books returned reeking of cigarette smoke, titles covered in various biological substances, food between the pages of paperbacks, a sheet of toilet paper used as a bookmark and left behind, obscene notes for me or the next reader penned in the margins?ah, good times, good times. Boy I miss that job, all the giggles and the mandatory Purell baths after working the front desk.

And I can?t even describe the funk that wafted off the homeless and semi-homeless who trudged in to use our public Internet computers. And a big WHAT THE FUCK WHERE YOU THINKING goes out to the guy one night who wanted me to print 200 copies of his white supremacist newsletter for free because ?it?s a public service? and then bitched me out when I told him no. But I digress?

On the other hand, public libraries today are often WAY out of control. While most have reasonable fee structures and policies, way too many are run by staffs that seem to have a grudge against the very patrons they are suppose to serve. A $24 fine for a single book overdue only one week is absurd at best. Most libraries only charge 10-15 cents per day per book late fee.

And the OP $47.20 in fees isn?t all that much, especially if it involved lost, damaged or destroyed materials. The largest fine I've personally slapped a patron with approached $400, but that was for quite a few lost books.

CLIFFS: Blah, blah, blah.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I love our library and I have paid my share of overdue fines from time to time. And on the other side of the coin, it's upsetting when I have requested a book, told when it would be available, then had to wait another month or two because the person didn't return it on time.

Our library system is having funding problems and having to cut hours and programs. It's sad because I can see that the usage is rising - people out of work using the library to help find jobs, attending workshops, and families who are tight on money borrowing movies and books for free instead of renting movies or buying books. Libraries are the best bargain there is and I wish they could get the money they need to flourish.

True story: I borrowed a book a few years ago and copied an idea from it to use in my job, and the idea was very successful and the reason I got a top rating on my review that year. Counting the extra raise and a one-time bonus, reading that book probably earned me $1000.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
I stopped going to the library around here. Twice one of the books, which I know I returned, was never found and of course they couldn't find it in their pile of returned books or where it was supposed to be put up so I had to pay a fee.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Paladin3
I'm a former librarian and can see both sides of the issue.

First, library patrons really need to take responsibility for the books they borrow and be prepared to pay the fee for late/lost/damaged materials. Where else can you borrow hundreds of dollars worth of books, videos, DVDs, software and other materials with a little more than a promise to return them? Want to avoid late fees? Return the materials on time like you said you would. Which reminds me I have an overdue book in the back of my car.

I can't count the number of times patrons returned materials late or just completely destroyed them and then where outraged that we expected them to pay a fee. At my last library we loaned books for 4 weeks, and they could be renewed for another 4, but people still bitched that we were ripping them off by charging 10 cents/day late fees when they kept books beyond the two month max.

My favorite incident was over $200 worth of books that came back soaked in cat pee, and the patron claimed we must have done it because we didn?t like her. I only WISH I could have come up with something like that because, after all, I did hate that particular patron.

Children?s books returned reeking of cigarette smoke, titles covered in various biological substances, food between the pages of paperbacks, a sheet of toilet paper used as a bookmark and left behind, obscene notes for me or the next reader penned in the margins?ah, good times, good times. Boy I miss that job, all the giggles and the mandatory Purell baths after working the front desk.

And I can?t even describe the funk that wafted off the homeless and semi-homeless who trudged in to use our public Internet computers. And a big WHAT THE FUCK WHERE YOU THINKING goes out to the guy one night who wanted me to print 200 copies of his white supremacist newsletter for free because ?it?s a public service? and then bitched me out when I told him no. But I digress?

On the other hand, public libraries today are often WAY out of control. While most have reasonable fee structures and policies, way too many are run by staffs that seem to have a grudge against the very patrons they are suppose to serve. A $24 fine for a single book overdue only one week is absurd at best. Most libraries only charge 10-15 cents per day per book late fee.

And the OP $47.20 in fees isn?t all that much, especially if it involved lost, damaged or destroyed materials. The largest fine I've personally slapped a patron with approached $400, but that was for quite a few lost books.

CLIFFS: Blah, blah, blah.

Yeah, I'm not the least bit upset about my fines. I told the librarian at the counter "this is one of the most ridiculous things I've done, I feel like a moron." She just giggled.