Just ordered my first ever laptop...

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Pretty weak excuse to post a thread, but hey, I'm excited.

I've been building PC's since the mid 90's, and I've honestly NEVER bought a laptop for myself... I've bought two for my wife, once in 2008 when she went to college, and again this past year when she went back and the original laptop just wasn't going to do it (10 years later, lol).

I've dabbled on hers here and there but not really... this will be my first laptop that's MINE!

I ordered a ASUS FX53VE-MS74

• GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
  • Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (2.80 GHz)
  • 16 GB DDR4 Memory 1 TB HDD 256 GB SSD
Pretty happy with the specs, I'll be able to do everything I normally do (not much) and some on the go gaming which will be cool.

My uses are mostly web browsing, with some work related stuff, and perhaps Overwatch if it plays it.

For $1059cad ($810usd) with free shipping I'm really happy with the price... any laptops in B&M stores around me were lucky to have a plain 1050 2gb for $1198 ish… Just checked Newegg.ca and it shows out of stock now, so perhaps I got the last one?

I'll post pics when it arrives :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That sounds like a pretty good deal overall. At least, you didn't get an Acer. :p (I've personally found Acer laptops to be a bit lacking in build quality, at least their consumer models that I've personally owned.)

I might personally have held out for an 8th-Gen Core, if only to get the core counts up, but I'm at present unsure if the laptop 8th-Gen Core CPUs also go up to six cores, or if they are limited to 4 cores due to laptop TDPs. In which case, you got the 7th-Gen Core, quad-core CPU, which is great.

Overall, specs look good. Give us a mini-review when you get it.

Reactions: corkyg
Feb 25, 2011
That sounds like a pretty good deal overall. At least, you didn't get an Acer. :p (I've personally found Acer laptops to be a bit lacking in build quality, at least their consumer models that I've personally owned.)

I might personally have held out for an 8th-Gen Core, if only to get the core counts up, but I'm at present unsure if the laptop 8th-Gen Core CPUs also go up to six cores, or if they are limited to 4 cores due to laptop TDPs. In which case, you got the 7th-Gen Core, quad-core CPU, which is great.

Apple is using hex-cores in theirs now, and I doubt they're the first. But their high-end laptops have used 45w TDP CPUs for a while. Not sure if that really "counts" as a laptop CPU. (The logic that, "if it's in a laptop it's a laptop CPU," notwithstanding.)

Also, is the question of whether they should be using those hex-cores or not. Initial reports said they were getting throttled pretty badly at load - even being outperformed by the 7700HQs in the previous gen machines.

But that's an engineering problem.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
I'm so excited to get it...

The more I look at it the more I can't beleive the specs I got for that price... i7 quadcore instead of an i5, a 1050TI instead of a 1050, 16GB of ram, and both a 256gb ssd AND a 1TB HDD... and an ASUS ROG too!

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

Well, Intel has 6 core mobile chips, but the lowest TDP is 45W configurable to 35W.

https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/97787/Coffee-Lake#@mobile

Aug 11, 2008
Well, Intel has 6 core mobile chips, but the lowest TDP is 45W configurable to 35W.

https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/97787/Coffee-Lake#@mobile
The 7700HQ is 45 watt TDP too though. I dont see that as a problem. I have always bought U (15 watt) cpus for my wifes laptops, but I would probably go with a 45 watt quad now, since she rarely if ever uses it on battery.

I dont know what is with the hex core laptops from apple. I have seen tests on notebookcheck that showed they scale very well with the core count in multithreaded workloads though.

As usual with intel, the nomenclature is very confusing. The i7 seventh gen is quad with hyperthreading while there is an i5 with no hyperthreading. The eighth gen i5 has hyperthreading and is essentially equivalent to 7th gen i7. The eighth gen i5 has lower base clocks but can maintain turbo longer, so is slightly faster than the 7th gen i7. That was for the test I say. I suppose the results could vary with cooling solutions.

Anyway, OP, you got a very good deal. Congrats

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
It looks like the 7700HQ equivalents are now at 28W tdp, and for 45W you can go 6 core.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Received the laptop on Friday after a few days of the local courier holding it day after day... Just today I've had time to boot it up and play around a little, installed Overwatch & Hearthstone, will play them a bit later... so far it's comfortable as heck to type on compared to my wife's 14" Acer, and I just can't get over the horsepower for the price.. CPU is running ~50C while installing programs and removing bloatware, and I'm on battery for the last 45 minutes and still have an hour and a half left... good times.

The last laptop I used was a HP with an A6-godknowswhat POS CPU and 4GB of ram... 16GB in this with a decent CPU makes such a difference... YEE HAW

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
First game in Overwatch was fun, smooth... good times.

CPU maxxed out at 89C and GPU at 79C...