Just met a 19 year old with a Viper GTS...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
The question that I have is what the heck do you guys do for work?

I mean I am 25, just out of college, have no college loans to pay off (thanks grandpa for the trust :)) and am a business systems programmer V working for SAIC at NASA HQ, splitting the rent at my place with my GF (which is 530 each) and I have trouble paying all my bills and payments on a 2000 ford contour SVT (Had alot of speeding tickets when I was younger and financing is xpensive, 430 car payment/250 insurance along with 530 rent and other bills)

and I make more than double what most of my friends who graduated with and before me(they make roughly 24-27, you do the math).

Did this 19yr old go to college? if he didn't he is a moron, least in my opinion, heck if you can make enough to finance/lease a viper you can sure afford a decent state school, that is where I went and I am glad I did.

I thought I was making a lot of money but not really after reading this thread? then again I do go out almost every other day and buy things every week, but still making 80k at 19 for me was a myth, even at 25 what I am making now is 10k more than I was making a few weeks ago and I was psyched.

I mean damn, 20yr olds making 2,000 payments on a townhouse? and thinking that isnt that much? heck screw that, I thought the 1000 we pay is more than enough for where we live, and we don't live in a ghetto either, we live in arlington VA right off of the Metro which is kinda pricey-oh well to each his own I guess

Static911

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2000
i have met kids (20 year old unmotivated college students who have rich parents) drive porche turboes in my neighborhood...

but whoever can afford their OWN car, whether a POS caddy to a lamborghini, as long as they can afford it themselves (w/o the help of their parents) then it is all good...

no need to bash ppl who work HARD enuf to buy watever they like

i'm thinking of a fully loaded IS-300 and/or BMW 330 fully loaded with ACsnichter simply cuz i want one and can afford one after college...

Best of luck to everyone!

Static911

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
bozack Don't worry. For every 19 year old driving a Viper GTS there are a million 25year olds your age making $8/hour and living with their parents.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Thanks skoorb,

not really how I wanted to think of things but still true :)

just amazed by how many thought that 80k a year was not that much here, and wondering if my company was taking me and my fellow colleagues(sp?) for a ride.

But yes your right, there are many who don't make near what we are talking about here, alot of those people over 40 and with families which is a shame since money is an important part of the world which we live in.

Cable God

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000

<< well, technically its not that hard to afford a viper.. what is it, like $1250 payments if financed over 5 years.. I could do that @ 19 if I really wanted to, but I couldn't do much else but pay for the car. >>

The funny thing is that banks and finance companies generally won't let your car payment run more than 20% of your NET monthly salary..........

Cknyc

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Frost,
I have saved a considerable amount from trading stocks and want a toy for the weekends. I dont need a car for transportation since I will be taking the railroad into the city from my apartment in queens. I dont have any bills at least rentwise, because My parents are letting me stay at one of their apartments (not living with them). I still will be able to buy clothes go out on fridays and save for retirement. I just want a toy so I can have fun over the weekends.

Plus my sisters husband is a car dealer and can help me get a really good deal.. :) Plus no one ever really plops down the entire amount. I was going to finance about 30k over 2-4 years.

Concerning Insurance, Im going to join my parents plan.

MissingLinc

Dec 30, 2000
LOL at SackOfAllTrades. I have a $20 429 Shelby Cobra...

Assuming an insurance company will carry a 19-year old in a VIPER, that would be a very large expense... I would guess as much or more than the monthly payments of the car itself. I could not imagine being 19 and having something like that.

More importantly, anyone, including experienced drivers could get themselves in trouble with that car... so much torque on tap. I hope that guy does the responsible thing and take a performance driver course. Elemental, perhaps you could suggest that to this guy. It could easily save a life (his or someone else's).

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I didn't mean to imply that $80k/yr wasn't a nice salary, it's just not a salary that should even consider a Viper.

Personally, I don't care how much money you have, buying a Viper is just stupid. If I had enough money to where I could seriously just throw away that much cash on a car like that, insurance, etc., I would make sure my entire family was taken care of, that my community was taken care of (as much as I could help), etc.. I would still have a nice car, a nice home, but not an absurd car, and an absurd home.

my $.02, but if I were Bill Gates rich, everyone else would be rich too (at least as far as my money would go) :)

Cknyc

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
dont get me wrong,
Im not going nuts and spending 75K on a car. If I were I wouldnt be buying a viper. Im just spending 45K.

EUG, your friend made a wise choice. I would have kept the boxster also. You dont appreciate that car unless you have driven it for a while. My friend owns one and I just fell in love with it once I took it for a few rides. :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
He didn't make a wise choice! Not only does it just sound &quot;wrong&quot; to sell your house but keep your car, but one will stay at or appreciate in value over time (house), whereas the car will be worth less and less all the time.