Just how bad is fast food? Look inside for my story...

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sinucus

Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: sinucus
Lastly, most people buy better food at the grocery store than the steroid pumped, GM'd cows that McD's buys. According to their own documentation not all of their burgers are even 100% beef, some contain fillers and other ingredients.

You have no proof of this claim whatsoever. It's bullsh!t. The ground beef used at McDonald's is no different than the ground beef sold in supermarkets.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://www.mcdonalds.com/app_............edients.index.html"><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://www.mcdonalds.com/app_............ingredients.index.html"><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://www.mcdonalds.com/app_............ies.ingredients.index.html"><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://www.mcdonalds.com/app_con.........egories.ingredients.index.html"><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://www.mcdonalds.com/app_contro.......categories.ingredients.index.html"><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controlle...tion.categories.ingredients.index.html"><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.categories.ingredients.index.html">https://www.mcdonalds.com/app_............index.html</a></a></a></a></a></a></a>
Beef Patty:
100% pure USDA inspected beef; no additives, no fillers, no extenders.

Why do these myths endure?

Fast food is generally worse for your health than the "home" cooked version.

More bullsh!t. The OP already admitted that his diet DID change overall.

A burger is a burger whether bought at a supermarket and grilled at home or cooked at McDonald's. I already posted the nutritional info of both store bought ground beef and fast food burgers and proved that to be the case. In fact, the cooked McDonald's beef patty was fairly lean by ground beef standards.

And deep fried french fries are the same, cooked at home, or at a restaurant. The fact of the matter is, the frozen fries most people replace fast food with, have just as much fat and trans fats as the fast food version.

The OP stopped eating fries altogether and replaced them with other sides. His diet did NOT remain the same.

What are you talking about? It's the first 3 lines on the page. It says so right there!
Hamburger: Beef Patty
Quarter Pounder®+: Quarter Pound 100% Beef Patty*

Note how it does not say 100% for either the Hamburger, Cheeseburger or Double Cheeseburger. Those meats contain fillers and addatives.
How can you deny that something cooked at home with good organic ingredients are not healthier than the processed crap at McD's? Last time I looked I didn't see any monosodium glutamate or high fructose corn syrup growing in my backyard.

I don't want to start a flame war with you but your naivety is unbelievable, there is no way that pre-processed foods are even in the same ballpark as home cooked. I respect your opinion and I've stated that I don't believe that's it wrong to eat out but to presume that it's just as healthy is insane.

CollectiveUnconscious

Jan 27, 2006
What are you talking about? It's the first 3 lines on the page. It says so right there!

Note how it does not say 100% for either the Hamburger, Cheeseburger or Double Cheeseburger. Those meats contain fillers and addatives.
How can you deny that something cooked at home with good organic ingredients are not healthier than the processed crap at McD's? Last time I looked I didn't see any monosodium glutamate or high fructose corn syrup growing in my backyard.

I don't want to start a flame war with you but your naivety is unbelievable, there is no way that pre-processed foods are even in the same ballpark as home cooked. I respect your opinion and I've stated that I don't believe that's it wrong to eat out but to presume that it's just as healthy is insane.

Beef Patty:

BriGy86

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
I used to feel like crap every morning, I started eating a little more fuit and it cleared right up, I stopped drinking so much pop later and i felt even better

its amazing how big a difference small things can make

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..nearly all of it is mouth feel engineered crap to apease your taste buds and nothing else. All cooked up by minimum wage employees of questionable health and backround. Gastric russian roulette. Do you feel lucky??

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

You blithering fscking idiot. I POSTED the beef patty. Had you gone down just a few lines you would read this:

Beef Patty:

That is a sum of ALL their beef patties except the quarter pounder which is a different size, and therefore listed seperately and alone.

Stop spreading myths for which you have NO, NONE, NADA evidence to support it.

Yes, the hamburger at McDonalds is EXACTLY the same ground beef you buy in supermarkets. I have proof that it is, you have NO proof of the opposite.

I don't need to get in a flame war with you. You do too damn good of a job of making yourself look like a fscking fool.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
A burger is a burger whether bought at a supermarket and grilled at home or cooked at McDonald's. I already posted the nutritional info of both store bought ground beef and fast food burgers and proved that to be the case. In fact, the cooked McDonald's beef patty was fairly lean by ground beef standards.

So you are saying that a USDA buger that is 80/20 is as healthy as a 93/7?

Edit... and before you start the fat amount being "Fairly lean" remember those burgers are all WELL DONE. Some of us don't like to eat hockey pucks so we go for 93/7.

And deep fried french fries are the same, cooked at home, or at a restaurant. The fact of the matter is, the frozen fries most people replace fast food with, have just as much fat and trans fats as the fast food version.

So you are saying vegtable oil is as healthy as olive oil?

Just because you can make a choice to eat junk or healthy at a supermarket does not immunize those fast food places from being bad for you.

You hijacked the thread and made it your own point to say that the pre-processed food at the market and at some other eat outs were the same. No one has denied you that. But what you don't understand is that still admits guilt for those fast food places using junk foods.

Burger is supposed to be medium well or better for health reasons. By the time it's cooked that well, the fat content is fairly low.

Earlier in the thread I posted the fat content of various ground beefs in comparison to McDonald's burgers. Yes, they are fairly low. Why don't you go back and find that post?

edit: screw it, I'll post it here just to shut you up...

Nutritional info for ground beef based on a 3 oz serving cooked well done:

73% Lean / 80% Lean / 85% Lean
Calories
248.00 / 235.00 / 213.00
Protein (g)
22.84 / 24.38 / 24.85
Total Fat (g)
16.83 / 14.52 / 11.81

Now the numbers from a 3.7 oz McDonalds Hamburger INCLUDING bun and condiments:

Calories: 260
Fat: 9g

Oh yeah. It's SOOOOOO much worse than store bought ground beef.

When was the last time you deep fried something in olive oil? I'd like to see that.

My point all along has been this: The OP at first tried to say his diet did not change, he merely stopped eating at fast food restaurants. I proved that to be impossible and he admitted that his diet DID change.

My point has also been that McDonald's is no less healthy than the most popular similar items purchased at supermarkets and cooked at home and is certainly no less healthy than the same items purchased at the vast majority of sit-down restaurants.

That was not a thread hijack. Not in any way, shape or form. I have been on topic the entire time.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Good freaking grief. 8 plus pages of amused's binary reasoning on causation, and his desperate attempts to rationalize his means of income. That's all this is really about. That's why he cannot let it go, despite the fact that all he has accomplished is to convince fence sitters that he's wrong.

Originally posted by: TheAdvocate
I just love Amused's binary reasoning. Has it ever occured to you that there can be :gasp: multiple causation for anything?

Four plus pages, and the lunatic still hasn't grasped this simple concept.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
if u want patty filler u go to bk

Yes, and no.

http://www.bk.com/#menu=3,3,-1

Their normal beef patties are 100% beef.

Their Angus Burgers have some flavorings (not really fillers) added:

Angus Beef, Seasoning [Encapsulated Salt (Salt, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil), Flavorings, Beef Stock, and Silicon Dioxide]. Soy Lecithin used as a processing aid. Contains: Fish.

Fish? WTF? I wonder why?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Good freaking grief. 8 plus pages of amused's binary reasoning on causation, and his desperate attempts to rationalize his means of income. That's all this is really about. That's why he cannot let it go, despite the fact that all he has accomplished is to convince fence sitters that he's wrong.

I just love Amused's binary reasoning. Has it ever occured to you that there can be :gasp: multiple causation for anything?

Four plus pages, and the lunatic still hasn't grasped this simple concept.

Four pages and ALL you have is personal attacks. Whatever.

My means of income has nothing to do with burgers and fries. In fact, fast food burger joints are direct competition for me. It would actually be in my best financial interest to demonize them as much as possible. Nice try, though.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Nothing much to add, I just have to say I hate Amused's opinions on fast food resturaunts and anyone who betters themselves by not going to them.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: skace
Nothing much to add, I just have to say I hate Amused's opinions on fast food resturaunts and anyone who betters themselves by not going to them.

Opinions? I have posted no opinions. I have merely posted this very simple fact:

If you eat burgers and deep fried french fries at a fast food restaurant, a sit down restaurant or at home it is equally bad for you.

It's that fscking simple. You do not better yourself by not going to fast food restaurants. You better yourself by changing your fscking diet. Because if you eat the same sh!t at Applebees, McDonald's or at home, you're still eating a high saturated fat diet. This is especially bad for someone predisposed to high cholesterol like the OP.

The myth that a burger and fries at McDonald's are somehow singularly evil and worse for you than a burger and fries elsewhere is absurd.

That's not an opinion. That's a fact I have supported with valid proof.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
If you pan fry your burgers at home then I'd say burgers at home are just as bad as McD's. But since most people grill I'm going to guess that burgers at home are somewhat better, but by how much I have no idea. Any burger I've ever had at McDs was noticeably greasier than burgers I cooked at home.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Thraxen
If you pan fry your burgers at home then I'd say burgers at home are just as bad as McD's. But since most people grill I'm going to guess that burgers at home are somewhat better, but by how much I have no idea. Any burger I've ever had at McDs was noticeably greasier than burgers I cooked at home.

I've posted the fat content of McDonald's burgers compared to the average ground beef (both cooked) you get at the supermarket. It's actually fairly lean.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Burger is supposed to be medium well or better for health reasons. By the time it's cooked that well, the fat content is fairly low.

Earlier in the thread I posted the fat content of various ground beefs in comparison to McDonald's burgers. Yes, they are fairly low. Why don't you go back and find that post?

Calories
248.00 / 235.00 / 213.00
Protein (g)
22.84 / 24.38 / 24.85
Total Fat (g)
16.83 / 14.52 / 11.81

When was the last time you deep fried something in olive oil? I'd like to see that.

My point all along has been this: The OP at first tried to say his diet did not change, he merely stopped eating at fast food restaurants. I proved that to be impossible and he admitted that his diet DID change.

My point has also been that McDonald's is no less healthy than the most popular similar items purchased at supermarkets and cooked at home and is certainly no less healthy than the same items purchased at the vast majority of sit-down restaurants.

That was not a thread hijack. Not in any way, shape or form. I have been on topic the entire time.

I'm not gonna let you go now.

85% lean is as far as you can go?? wow you plain and simply suck at this.
So again WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WHO WANT A MEDIUM BURGER?

What is so unbelieveable about deep frying in olive oil? Have you ever even been in a real kitchen.. or do you just let your aliens run your sub shop?

That part about the olive oil was a nice try to cop out.. but fact is you can deep fry much healthier then what your corporate masters have to offer.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Calories
248.00 / 235.00 / 213.00
Protein (g)
22.84 / 24.38 / 24.85
Total Fat (g)
16.83 / 14.52 / 11.81

What is so unbelieveable about deep frying in olive oil? Have you ever even been in a real kitchen.. or do you just let your aliens run your sub shop?

That part about the olive oil was a nice try to cop out.. but fact is you can deep fry much healthier then what your corporate masters have to offer.

If you read the thread, you'd have found out that olive oil has too low of a smoke point to actually deep fry anything with it. But i guess your hard-on for me was raging just a little too much for you to figure that out.

85% is ground round. The most popular ground beef used for burgers. It happens to make the tastiest burgers as going leaner makes for a dry burger. You wont find much leaner than 85% even at the best sit down restaurants.

If you want a medium burger, you have health issues FAR more serious than any fast food can give you. Medium ground beef is a violation of every state's food safety law for a reason.

May I suggest you are letting your petty beef with me cloud your reason? Why not stop before you make a bigger fool of yourself?

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
If you read the thread, you'd have found out that olive oil has too low of a smoke point to actually deep fry anything with it. But i guess your hard-on for me was raging just a little too much for you to figure that out.

So tell me then.. how hot does oil need to be to deep fry?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

So tell me then.. how hot does oil need to be to deep fry?

Why don't you look in the other thread where you owned yourself, and then tried to edit it out? I explained everything there with valid third party websites to back me up.

Dude, these two threads are a perfect example of why you never should let personal anger and vendettas cloud your reason. All you ended up doing was was making a fscking fool of yourself.

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
After reading this and the benzene thread, I think I'm going to go to McDonalds to get a Big Mac AND a Coke.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: RiDE
After reading this and the benzene thread, I think I'm going to go to McDonalds to get a Big Mac AND a Coke.

And the funny thing? There is NO benzine in coke. It was in an orange drink made by the coke company... after being tampered with by lawyers.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Calories
248.00 / 235.00 / 213.00
Protein (g)
22.84 / 24.38 / 24.85
Total Fat (g)
16.83 / 14.52 / 11.81

85% is ground round. The most popular ground beef used for burgers. It happens to make the tastiest burgers as going leaner makes for a dry burger. You wont find much leaner than 85% even at the best sit down restaurants.

If you want a medium burger, you have health issues FAR more serious than any fast food can give you. Medium ground beef is a violation of every state's food safety law for a reason.

May I suggest you are letting your petty beef with me cloud your reason? Why not stop before you make a bigger fool of yourself?

I think medium not being 'legal' is more lawsuit really.

I like mine medium-well. I know of some rather healty ppl that eat it freaking rare.

to respond to the whole thread:

it's possible to eat healthy at fast-food...however; most shop lunch price and those $1 menu items are the most unhealthy.

A decent fast-food lifting meal is two grilled chicken sandwiches on one bun.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst

I think medium not being 'legal' is more lawsuit really.

Since the 1993 Washington Jack in the Box E-coli breakout, all states have mandated ground beef be cooked to at least 155-160 degrees throughout in their food safety laws. This is commonly known as medium well.