Just Hired As A Geek Squad Senior CIA Agent

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Go into PC repair for yourself. You make anywhere from 2x (lowball) to 4x (average) what you get paid at Freek Squad, without having to deal with the Best Buy retail bullshit.

I've been looking into that. Easier said than done I'm afraid.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: broon
Originally posted by: Pez D Spencer
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Don't forget to turn the light off on your camera phone.

Yeah, I just read about that after a Google search a few minutes ago...

What's this about?

From what I remember some guy setup his camera phone to take a video of a girl while she was in the shower. She found the phone afterwards and sued. It all sounded rather fishy to me but I have no idea how it turned out.

I interviewed at Best Buy once. I was looking for a summer job, fixing computers. I applied for a computer tech job thinking maybe I'll get lucky. I made sure I clearly stated in my resume and the app that I was just looking for a summer job.

After about two minutes in the office I discovered they never read my resume but I did good on the personality test so they brought me in. They wanted a permanent guy on the floor selling computers. Quickest interview I've ever had.

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
i agree with a few in this thread, though this is a entry level position in the tech world its a great stepping stone. He (assuming this is a guy, i've been wrong before) will get to see what common issues are and hopefully learn how to solve them properly through trained tech (i emphasis on hopefully). I started out at Computer City as a cashier and ended up in the tech shop and then working as an IT guy for a corporate and ended up being the manager/supervisor of the pc support department.

Pez D Spencer

Banned
Nov 22, 2005
Hey guys, thanks for the supportive (and not so supportive *cough* Mxylplyx *cough*) advice. I've been a skilled tradesman since I was around 20 (I'm 30 now) and back in late 05 I decided a few certifications might come in handy so I took a day off here and there and got some. I already knew all this stuff so I figured I might as well get a piece of paper that proves it. I walked in expecting a job unloading trucks and got a much better job paying nearly twice as much using my head an not my back for once so I ain't gonna complain....

I didn't wanna be 60 years old and still hanging off the side of some highrise so I made a decision when the contractor I worked for recently closed that I was going to find something with more of a future in it and hopefully this is it.

Thanks again.

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
Originally posted by: ScottFern
Do you have any self respect? Those outifts and that badge........

Would rather wear the Geek Squad uniform than tend the Genius Bar imo.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Hey guys, thanks for the supportive (and not so supportive *cough* Mxylplyx *cough*) advice. I've been a skilled tradesman since I was around 20 (I'm 30 now) and back in late 05 I decided a few certifications might come in handy so I took a day off here and there and got some. I already knew all this stuff so I figured I might as well get a piece of paper that proves it. I walked in expecting a job unloading trucks and got a much better job paying nearly twice as much using my head an not my back for once so I ain't gonna complain....

I didn't wanna be 60 years old and still hanging off the side of some highrise so I made a decision when the contractor I worked for recently closed that I was going to find something with more of a future in it and hopefully this is it.

Thanks again.

This isn't it, please start looking for another job ASAP. Planning for a future at Best Buy is a huge mistake. not to say that this won't help you in your search but please please please be looking elsewhere long-term.

slatr

May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Originally posted by: slatr
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Senior CIA Agent

That could possibly be the gayest thing I've ever heard.

YOu need to lay off

1. He is working.. and not at McDonalds

2. This could be a stepping stone to a better job

3. His qualifications look great

Agreed.

But I would definately not repeat that job title to people.

I hear you. That is awful :(

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
After 6 months you can get tuition reimbursement from best buy, goto school get a degree(I HIGHLY recommend taking advantage of this). You're experiences at geeksquad/bestbuy will vary quite a bit(different locations can have very different management), if you're able to put up with a lot of BS you will do just fine though.

As far as competence and management goes from what I understand that varies dramatically throughout the company. As a senior, and please don't use the full job title lol, you will probably end up dealing with customer issues more than fixing PCs or at least that's what that position generally entails.

Parts of the job can be very interesting, you see a large variety of people everyday, some days you'll lose faith in humanity all together and on some days you might meet cool people to.

People are apparently able to use this on their resume and get higher paying jobs(i know many people who have gotten IT jobs after working there a while).

Oh yeah one thing you'll run into a lot of people that feel entitled to something. example: "I bought this computer at compusa(person literally had the receipt from that store and everything) three years ago and it won't turn on I want you to replace it!" "no, we're not compusa and they probably won't replace it either" "BUT IM A LOYAL CUSTOMER I JUST BOUGHT A TV 3 MONTHS AGO!!!" lol not joking about that either.

In the end you'll always have a story to tell....