Just Hired As A Geek Squad Senior CIA Agent

Pez D Spencer

Banned
Nov 22, 2005
I just got hired today at a new Best Buy store as a Senior CIA Agent (I think that's what the postion is called, my mind was racing during the interview and I was nervous so I'm pretty sure that's what it's called. It's a step above a regular Double Agent if I remember right).

I've never had a job in retail or as a PC tech but I am A+, Network+, and MCP certified on Windows XP. I'll be taking the Vista MCP in the next 30 - 60 days and also plan to add Security+, and possibly iNet+ just for kicks. I also completed the CCNA curriculum but never took the exam due to lack of cash and the fear that I might fail it the first time and lose my money. I'd say that I had a good chance of passing, but it'd take a lot of brushing up to get my CCNA. CCNA is mostly for admins anyway. Regardless. after some extnsive quesioning the hiring staff seemed pretty impressed with my knowledge of networking and PC's and they offered me the job on the spot. I'm 100% confident in my skills as a tech as well as dealing with the public but I was just wondering if there's anyone else out there that's worked for the Geek Squad who can give me any advice on what to expect and that sort of thing. I'm really stoked about the job and can't wait to start. But at the same time, I've never done this type of work professionally before and any words of wisdom you can share would be great and hopefully give me an edge on the other new guys when I do start.

From the way I understood it I'll mostly work the counter and deal with walk-in customers and try to assess what the issue(s) are with their computer and reccomend our various services and software to them. If the day is going slow then they said I would be working the floor as well.

Anything you can share is greatly appreciated.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Stupid people with viruses and adware clogging up their PC's, and people who can't install RAM/new DVD burner drive is probably what you're going to look at.

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
make sure you speed in that little geek squad car and peel in front of the clients house.

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
oh wait you'll be working the counter. Expect plenty of a$$hats to walk in thinking they know everything about PC's but don't know why theres doesn't boot. Then expect the clinically dumb who can't stick a ram chip inside the pc.

Pez D Spencer

Banned
Nov 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Syrch
oh wait you'll be working the counter. Expect plenty of a$$hats to walk in thinking they know everything about PC's but don't know why theres doesn't boot. Then expect the clinically dumb who can't stick a ram chip inside the pc.

Yeah I figured that...

Pez D Spencer

Banned
Nov 22, 2005
Originally posted by: GenHoth
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Originally posted by: Pez D Spencer
Senior CIA Agent

That could possibly be the gayest thing I've ever heard.

It is right up there with apple calling their techies geniuses.

Yeah, I forgot to ask them if they service Apples. I don't know much about OS-X or apple hardware in general. I do know that they can now run Windows and Intel CPU's though.

Pez D Spencer

Banned
Nov 22, 2005
Originally posted by: FoBoT
have you seen Ace Bigelow, American Gigilo ?

Nope but I saw the 40 Year Old Virgin. But hey, if they wanna play Michael McDonald all the time it's cool with me. I've got all of Michael McDonalds greatest songs (Doobie years and solo) in my collection.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: broon
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Don't forget to turn the light off on your camera phone.

Yeah, I just read about that after a Google search a few minutes ago...

What's this about?

some geek squad guy went to FPMITAP for taking :camera:'s of a chick while he was doing a house call, something like that anyway, i forget the details, but i know for sure he got BANNED from ATOT for it

slatr

May 28, 2001
Senior CIA Agent

YOu need to lay off

1. He is working.. and not at McDonalds

2. This could be a stepping stone to a better job

3. His qualifications look great

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
they are just making fun of the job title, not the OP

i agree this is a better non-career job than head fry guy

but then, without head fry guy, who would make those delicious fries?

i don't want to belittle anyone's job, pretty much all jobs, except for project managers, are important and contribute to the well oiled machine that is our world

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Haha nice username, that clown avatar always reminded me of that pez dispenser I had as a kid... either that or the little clown guy that bowser rides around on in super mario world.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: slatr
Senior CIA Agent

YOu need to lay off

1. He is working.. and not at McDonalds

2. This could be a stepping stone to a better job

3. His qualifications look great

Agreed.

But I would definately not repeat that job title to people.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Go into PC repair for yourself. You make anywhere from 2x (lowball) to 4x (average) what you get paid at Freek Squad, without having to deal with the Best Buy retail bullshit.

That's what I did part-time when I was a college student. Took out some free/paid local classified ads, made house calls, and people were more than happy to pay me many times the hourly rate my friends were making working retail. I had ZERO qualifications; just common PC know-how.

Remember that Geek Squad and Fire Dog charge $175+ just to show up at your house; people are more than happy to pay you $20-$40/hr for your time.

I lived in a medium sized city (~800,000 people), and I had more customers in a week than I could service by myself.