Just had the sherrifs dept out to my apt(edit, posted the whole story)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Murphyrulez

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
Do you think the cops enjoy arresting every drunk asshole they come across? Wtf? You think they have time to sit around and fill out hours of paperwork to process some dick who didn't want to show them ID?

Think about what you are saying.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
If the OP were in the wrong, and the cops had any justifiable reason for arresting him, why wasn't he arrested?

I answered it already above and now MR did....cops don't want to fill out paperwork when nothing is going to come of it. They could easily arrest someone, put them in holding and release them if they wrote up the reason why they were suspicious. They just don't want to be bothered unless it's worthwhile.

I take it you haven't p!ssed off the cops too many times.

Å

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If they would have charged you with something and if someonw was video taping this incident you would have them by the balls in court.

Sysadmin

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Sysadmin
If they would have charged you with something and if someonw was video taping this incident you would have them by the balls in court.

Sysadmin

and if he grew wings out his ass he could fly.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Sysadmin

Sysadmin

and if he grew wings out his ass he could fly.

and if frogs grew wings they wouldn't bump their ass when they hopped. ;)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Of course they could have arrested you. You were hindering their investigation. Where did you get your law degree, box of Cap'n Crunch?
Where did you get yours?
rolleye.gif

Their investigation was the loud music. Per his story (the only one we have), he confessed and apologized immediately. Their investigation and probable cause ended there.
Otherwise, it is not a crime to drink alcohol inside one's own house.

These were d!ck cops on a power trip. I've met hundreds of them. They give law enforcement a bad name, so I feel no pity for them. Law enforcement has very strict rules. A cop who will bend those rules simply to have a power trip on a minor disorderly is one who will probably smash them on a serious case. I can't and won't condone. When police place themselves above the law, they become criminals themselves, no matter how many "bad guys" they think they can catch.
As for what Aaron claims he said, I've always met a lot of people who talk to cops like that as well. While I think there are much better ways, it's better than acting like a sheep. Just because you know your rights is no reason to flaunt them in from of a Nazi who wishes you didn't have them. Instead, I recommend being polite and quiet, answering questions as short and direct as possible ("yes" and "no" followed by "sir" is pefect), and never volunteering any information ever.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000

Papers please! Heil Hitler!!!
No one else sees the problem with this "mandatory identification" b.s.? Sad :(

Did I say I wouldn't have a problem with mandatory ID? Be minding your own business, doing nothing wrong, with no complaints, and at any given moment a cop could force me to produce ID or arrest me? That would be BS.

When a cop asks for ID, in this case, because there was a complaint, they want to know for sure who they're talking to. It makes their job easier. They're humans too, and like you, they want their job to go smoothly, without unnecessary complications. So why make their job tougher, and why make them suspicious? I'm just saying, it can't help the situation when you tell them no.

How about those tough customers in retail? Those belligerent a-holes that make the job a lot tougher than it should be? There's a thread about that running in OT right now. Of course, the big difference is when you make yourself a "tough customer" to a cop, they have somewhat greater leeway than a store clerk to express their displeasure because of the special power they are given by the county, city, state, etc.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Thegonagle

Papers please! Heil Hitler!!!
No one else sees the problem with this "mandatory identification" b.s.? Sad :(

Did I say I wouldn't have a problem with mandatory ID? Be minding your own business, doing nothing wrong, with no complaints, and at any given moment a cop could force me to produce ID or arrest me? That would be BS.

When a cop asks for ID, in this case, because there was a complaint, they want to know for sure who they're talking to. It makes their job easier. They're humans too, and like you, they want their job to go smoothly, without unnecessary complications. So why make their job tougher, and why make them suspicious? I'm just saying, it can't help the situation when you tell them no.

How about those tough customers in retail? Those belligerent a-holes that make the job a lot tougher than it should be? There's a thread about that running in OT right now. Of course, the big difference is when you make yourself a "tough customer" to a cop, they have somewhat greater leeway than a store clerk to express their displeasure because of the special power they are given by the county, city, state, etc.

You're missing the point. The fact that the man is requested to "present his papers" in this situation is precisely the problem. Why in the world does the cop need to see his ID? To prove he exists? The man is right there in front of him so he obviously exists... To prove he's not a criminal? What does it matter whether the man has a criminal past? The cop was there for some loud music, for crying out loud!
This whole "let me see some ID" b.s. just irritates me to no end... Why does a cop *ever* need to see ID? It doesn't prove anything, other than the fact that you can legally drive in whichever state you reside. It doesn't contain any kind of criminal history or any other useful information to the cop, other than for profiling purposes, obviously.

robh23

Banned
Jan 28, 2004
aaronB is a total idiot who is immature and wouldnt have dared do this in reailty.

The reason this thread has so many responses are there are so many similarly socially under-developed geeks here that they all fanticise about standing upto someone, even in this way, and they want to associate with the cool guy, dream on fools. :brokenheart:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
You sound like a worthless douchebag. "My lawyers will have a field day with you" Yea right buddy
rolleye.gif

What I think is the funniest about the 'my lawyers' line is the size of the legal team always seems inversely proportional to the apparent net worth of the person crying that. They drive a beater Dodge Colt with 4 unmatched tires, clothed in rags, can't afford even a double wide, and yet they have a team of attorneys on their payroll.

I always find that interesting.

Å

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: CrazyDe1
That's awesome way to not take sh1t from the cops
What would have been more awesome is if he would have been thrown in the holding cell with some real dirt bags. He would have been crying for lube

Fixed

Drizzy

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2003
lol cops are usually as cool as you are to them I've found. If you're cool then they are... you're a dick then they are. So, just treat them the way you want them to treat you and you get along fine.

buildabear

Banned
Feb 15, 2004
Originally posted by: SherEPunjab
Originally posted by: AaronB
Originally posted by: freebee
Except you keep think that, and one day they come by with a bunch of their friends, drag you outside, beat you senseless and say you pulled a weapon on them....keeping pi$sing off the cops....when they have a gun and a badge....your "rights" don't mean sh!t.

You have a point but in this case there were witnesses.

I know when to push my luck.......................:D

And, you are presuming Aaron is black...

OMFG that is hilarous. The cops where I'm from give tickets for DWB. (Driving While Black) I think it's our mayor's ploy to keep black people out!
Hilarous hahahahahaahahha

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: buildabear

OMFG that is hilarous. The cops where I'm from give tickets for DWB. (Driving While Black) I think it's our mayor's ploy to keep black people out!
Hilarous hahahahahaahahha

How hilarious is you made it to 7 posts.

Å

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
jesus! just let this lie err story die! please!

I think it's very possible that this would be a totally true story, albeit with some possible exaggerations.

Really depends on knowing the personality of the OP....I wouldn't have been the 'ass' from the get go, esp if I knew my music was loud...but on roadside stops I have been in, it's gone down pretty heated when the cop was hoping he'd get me all scared and begging for his mercy.

Å