Just had a blue vertial line show up on my monitor then magically go away what could of caused it?

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Took pictures. Sorry for the horrible quality.

t2nMZvA.jpg

HoQiiq3.jpg

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
if you're using the same graphics card as before, try a different cable.

if that doesn't fix it, RMA the monitor before you can't. is what it is in this case... a bummer, but that should warrant a replacement.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
if you're using the same graphics card as before, try a different cable.

if that doesn't fix it, RMA the monitor before you can't. is what it is in this case... a bummer, but that should warrant a replacement.

Thanks already tried.

It is a ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" have any recommendations when RMAing it?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
all they should need is a copy of the receipt/invoice or order number and date... just make sure to pack it well so it can't get broken in shipping.

bummer, but being stuck with a faulty LCD is worse

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
all they should need is a copy of the receipt/invoice or order number and date... just make sure to pack it well so it can't get broken in shipping.

bummer, but being stuck with a faulty LCD is worse

I bought it from Amazon so I am ok.

I just can't deicide to send it back to Amazon for a full refund (They don't have anymore in stock for a replacement :( ) or send it to Asus for repair.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
it would probably take the same amount of time to go with either option. your full refund will only last so long though and if you send it back to Asus and you still have problems after, I don't think they'll honor the full refund on Amazon--maybe though.

You could always contact ASUS support and inquire about how long it may take to warranty repair the unit.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Nice. How long did you have the bad monitor for? How long did it take to go bad?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
If you only had the monitor for two days, just send it back to Amazon for refund and buy again when it's back in stock. It's safer than RMA'ing to ASUS. The only reason I'd consider RMA'ing to ASUS is if you got it on some super sale and wouldn't be able to get again at the same price.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
One or 2 days. A couple of hours :(

Oh OK. Welp at least Amazon has a new one coming. I was thinking it died after a while, but this thing went bad after juts a couple days. Must have had a defective component I'm sure.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Does anyone know if you can buy a Extended Warranty after buying a item from Amazon ? If so is it worth it ?

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Can you tell me why it is so much more expensive on squaretrade website direclty compared to buying the warranty when on the amazon.com website ?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Can you tell me why it is so much more expensive on squaretrade website direclty compared to buying the warranty when on the amazon.com website ?

It's not uncommon for Squaretrade warranties to be cheaper at places like Costco and Amazon, than it is buying directly from them.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Do you all think I should get a extended warranty on the new one ?

I would get an extended warranty if it would make you feel better. I kind of wish I had one on mine. If it breaks outside of manufacturer warranty, I will be out quite a few bucks. Make sure its actually extended and doesn't simply overlap the manufacturer warranty, because that would be kind of useless. For what its worth, I haven't had a monitor fail on me since forever ago. It only happened once. I'm more concerned about one of my boys throwing a brick though the screen. You can get that accidental damage insurance type thing as well. That's what I'd get if I were me...and if I had a time machine, but I didn't so...anyway yeah, go get it. These monitors are expensive and unless your ass is rich you don't want to be out $900 on some random unlucky day right after your mfg. warranty ends.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
The blue line is back :(

Same thing happened to me on my (well, not anymore) brand new ultrawide LG 34UC98. The line would randomly come and go, and it would be either purple or yellow. I happened to return it back just today and i have to say, seeing this happen to me, seeing this thread and then plethora of videos on youtube showing this issue, i am not very impressed with screen manufacturers.

Personally, i am gonna use this unfortunate situation to get myself even bigger and more expensive 38 inch model :). So its going to be good at least for something.

BarkingGhostar

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2009
Not good considering the price vs. display size. One would think QC would be better entertained. I guess they don't manufacture enough, and hence sell enough, to be able to have a handle on this out the gate. Good luck on your next display.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Do you all think I should get a extended warranty on the new one ?
A warranty is for your good feeling.
The warranty is more beneficial for the warranty seller than you as that's how they make money. So on net average, it costs you more on average to warranty all of your products than to just replace/rma the ones that fail/utilize your extended warranty offered by your CC.
Warranty divisions don't have large margins because they pay out a lot of warranty claims.