Just got myself a Radeon...

GimpyFuzznut

Sep 2, 2002
I know there are probably a hundred of these posts on a dialy basis but I just got my new system with a Radeon 9700 TX (underclocked 9700 Pro). I have updated to DX9 and Catalyst 3.0. I was wondering, what are the optimal AA and AF settings for the card. The system is a P4 2.4 with 512 ram. Should I leave the settings in the control panel to let the games specify? As well, are there any other settings/tweaks that anyone can recommend? I like to have high visual quality and playable framerates - 200 FPS is not important to me hehe..

On another note, if I want to run in 1024 by 768 or 1152 by 864, what is the optimal refresh rate for my moniter?

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
best refresh rate is most likley as high as it will go in my book...
and i just leave the settings or u can put the sliders a little farther towards quaility if you want better visuals.

glitch

rUmX

Feb 13, 2001
It would depend on the game itself. A game with fast movement, such as FPS games like Unreal Tournament or even Counter-Strike (it's still good) will affect FSAA and AF performance alot. And playing at higher resolutions with these settings will hamper performance even more than playing at lower resolutions.

My recommendation is that if you're at a higher resolution then you should use a lower FSAA/AF setting because at higher resolutions there are less noticable jaggies compared to the lower ones.

You really shouldn't care about performance... Just make sure you are getting at least 85fps. Slowly increase the image quality until u can maintain the 85fps target. This will ensure you are getting the best image quality while still retaining very good game performance.

rUmX

Feb 13, 2001
Also you should update the drivers. The Catalyst 3.0 just came out 2 days ago :) Along with the Control Panel v3.

ASK THE COMMUNITY