Just got my X1800 XL today, do i need to uninstall any video drivers first.

necro007

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2005
Hi, i waited a while before i got this card and i was just wondering do i need to uninstall and thing before i install this video card.

I was using on board video and this will be the first vido card to go into this motherboard, just want to install it the right way.

And could i get some replies fast.

Thanks.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
You can uninstall onboard drivers. but no need for it. Sometimes the video card will just automatically disable the onboard video and work, But if it dont, just disable it in the bios. Just install the video card....it should work.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Yes, you should ALWAYS uninstall previous video drivers. Uninstall them, reboot, and disable it in the bios. Boot back up, and install the new drivers.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Just make sure you plug in the power connector on the video card.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Ackmed
Yes, you should ALWAYS uninstall previous video drivers. Uninstall them, reboot, and disable it in the bios. Boot back up, and install the new drivers.

I have never uninstalled onboard drivers. Always worked perfectly.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: necro007
Thanks for the replies i can't wait to see how my games look now.

Your eye's will probably fall out of your head when you see the difference....8)

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: x80064
Originally posted by: Ackmed

I have never uninstalled onboard drivers. Always worked perfectly.

Some people drive without seatbelts too.

The simple fact that NV/ATi both suggest that you uninstal old drivers, before installing new ones is reason enough to do so. Most driver problems people have, is user error, and a lot of them are because they didnt completly remove previous drivers. Especially when going from one maker to the next. Installing driver on top of driver, is not a good idea.

necro007

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2005
The only thing that sounds like a video card driver is called :

"Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver" ................

that is what is listed in :"Add/Remove programs".

Do you think that that could be my onboard video driver?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Yes, that is it. After you uninstall it, it will likely ask you to reboot. Even if it does not, reboot anyways. And if you know how, go into the BIOS and disable onboard video. Shut down the PC, and unplug the power, if you have not already installed the X1800. After shutting down and removing the power cord, put in the video card. Make sure it is seated well, kinda rock it back and forth to insert it. Plug in the power connector to it, and boot the PC up. Once it comes up, it should say it found new hardware, and your display settings with be all whack. Big icons, etc. It should ask you if you want it to install the video card for you, just cancel out of that. It will probably ask you twice. Double-click the new drivers you've downloade (make sure you download them before you uninsall the previous drivers, makes it easier), and install the new drivers. You will have to reboot after doing so. Also, make sure you have .net installed (link on ATi's driver page) if you are going to use CCC, or the bundled version of the drivers.

necro007

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2005
So one last check(i want to be sure), correct me if i am wrong:

1....uninstall my old video drivers

2....shutdown my pc

3....install my video card

4....make sure the power cord is attached

5...start the pc up

6...go to the bios and select to use the pci>e instead of onboard

7....put the cd that came with video card in my cd rom

8..follow any instructions

9...hope the computer does not blow up

10...Play some games finally at " 1024*768 " and above.....

Also two last things:

1...I have a LCD monitor and it has a DVI input as well as a VGA, now my video card came with two DVI to VGA adapters and i just want

to know how do i connect my pc to the video card.

2..Should i install "Microsoft .NET Framework" befor i do step one (1) and is that "Catalyst Control Center Package" the drivers for my video card?

Or are "Microsoft .NET Framework" and "Catalyst Control Center Package" another program, and the drives for the video card i must use are on the cd.

Here is the link to thouse files.

Thanks for all the help guys..

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Yes, except for #7. The drivers on the CD are likely older than from ATi's website. I would download the newest drivers, as newer is usually better. More bug fixes, and sometimes performance increases.

.Net is needed for the all in one driver package, with CCC in them. And yes you should install .Net first, and reboot after doing so. Or if you dont want to use .Net, you can just install the driver only package, and get ATi Tray tools or the like to change settings. Personally, I dont mind CCC, some people dont like it.

edit, use DVI, not VGA on a LCD. Big difference.

necro007

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2005
Okay,....so befor i do step one i install that .Net file": then do step one.

After the pc stars up i install that file i downloaded from ati that CCC, which has my video cards driver and some other stuff.

Is this right.

Also the cable that came with my LCD only has a vga out put and a vga input, so how do i use it.

Do i have to buy a DVI cable or something

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: necro007
Okay,....so befor i do step one i install that .Net file": then do step one.

After the pc stars up i install that file i downloaded from ati that CCC, which has my video cards driver and some other stuff.

Is this right.

Also the cable that came with my LCD only has a vga out put and a vga input, so how do i use it.

Do i have to buy a DVI cable or something

Use the DVI to VGA adapter that came with your card....use the bigger end on the card, and the blue end ( smaller to plug your monitor into )

necro007

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2005
WOW, this is such a huge diff!!!

Thanks guys for all your help, its working perfect.

Just one last question, are are there any programs that i could use to oc this card.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
You can use powerstrip, rivatuner, ATi tools, ATi Tray tools, or the built in overclocking part of the drivers. Go to "Overdrive" within the drivers, unlock the clocks, and try from there.

Glad you enjoyed the stepup. Going from onboard video, to any new card is a big improvement to say the least.

necro007

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2005
I went to that "overdrive" setting in the drivers and if i were to oc this card its max is

VPU clock: 575MHz
Memory clock:550MHz

My current setting is:

VPU clock: 500MHz
Memory clock:495MHz

Why do you think its showing

VPU clock: 575MHz
Memory clock:550MHz

As the max oc i could do.

Also between these (powerstrip, rivatuner) which is better.

Or which has more setting and other tweeks.