Just got my X100! *initial impressions*

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
I wanted a camera to replace my Leica D-Lux 4, which was suppose to be my "no-brainer-point-click-done!" camera. Leica did it well, and I took a bunch of "fun" pictures that didn't need outstanding composition, lighting, and props! It's just every I pull out my 5D M2, I feel like I'm obligated to take the best photos as I can. Watch the lighting, background, misc. crap floating in the air, messy hair, subject, bla bla bla.

Well D-Lux 4 is sold, and my X100 just came in today. In fact, I ordered this bastard June 20th, and finally it arrived! So I'm gonna break it down to my initial impressions of this camera! Sorry, it's night time, and lighting is bad.... damn here I go again :(

The box is just a sleek black box, nothing special. I opened the accessories box and you'll have everything you'd expect. Then you get to the camera box, and you'll be greeted with a nice "bed" for the camera. Nice touch Fuji!

So messing around with the menu's changing the time/date, figuring out the stupid straps, I've finally nailed the basic functionality of this camera. I've noticed that the EVF mode is slow as shit, so you would generally want to leave it on the Optical mode.

BUT here's the problem: The optical view finder is just a plain Jane window, that has some electronic info in regards to your exposure, settings, etc. What that means is that it's not TTL. You don't know if you're focused or not. You're forced to go through EVF, and live through that slowness! So why don't we just use Manual Focus? Because manual focus is garbage. it's basically unusable. It's just a digital "ring" that serves 2 purposes: move focus up one notch, down one notch. It's slower than sin, no matter how fast you spin it. It just wont listen to you! It's not an analog focusing system, it's actually digital. Might as well put buttons for +/- for Manual focusing!

So my biggest gripe with this camera so far, has to deal with focusing. I can't use the optical view finder to "trust" what I'm focusing (even though I'm using SPOT focusing). Sometimes, the camera would just WANT to focus on the item behind your subject, even though 90% of your subject in on the focusing point.

Of course, you wouldn't have this focusing issue if you used the LCD (which you can use as well to compose your shot) or the EVF. Optical view finder is really just for show...

twistedlogic

Feb 4, 2008
How did it smell? lol

I've read the complaints about MF but never realized its digital focusing, ugh.

Hopefully Fujifilm "focuses" on fixing this issue with a X200 before Canikon steals there thunder.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
also, shots at f/2.0 are not very sharp. Granted I understand that f/2.0 is a huge aperture, the fact that it makes my picture "glow" becomes a serious issue. But that can be fixed in post. F/2.8 is something much better!

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
are you using 1.10 firmware? that one fixed a lot of stupid little things. personally i have no sharpness issue at f/2, its definitely not soft.

the drive-by-wire focusing sucks, just like my 85mm but i'm no good with manual focusing so it doesn't bother me one bit...

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
Since the OVF isn't TTL, I find focusing very difficult. And the EVF sucks, 'cause it's really really slow...

Cattykit

Nov 3, 2009
Yeah, current EVF solution, regardless of any brand, just is not there yet. That's why I have high hopes on upcoming Sony cameras that use 3MP OLED EVF.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
i'm okay with the resolution, contrast, just that it's motion tracking is very slow... I guess in poor lighting it's very slow...

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
The AF is also the reason why why I'm selling my X100 (barely used) - PLUG . I miss quite a few shots thinking that it's in focus - the trick per other people seems to be is to not use the small focus spot circle (make it wider). My cousin who also owns an X100 doesn't have any problems using it.

IMHO, Fuji needs to work on their CD-AF quite a bit more. Panasonic's CD-AF is quick (I used to have a DMC-G1) and Olympus is now touting how much they've improved the CD-AF speed on the new PENs (no EVF).

I'm buying a Panasonic DMC-G3 and will be coupling it with the 20mm F1.7.

* 2x faster AF than either G2 or G1 (much faster than X100)
* 25% smaller (dimensions)
* New Sensor (much improved high iso performance, better IQ)
* Better EVF (faster refresh, better in low light, brighter)

Drawbacks? it's slightly larger than the X3 but want more reassurances that my shots are in focus (+face detect, and motion tracking AF). Picture quality can be argued (APS > u4/3)

Anyways, back to the FUJI - don't care much about the actual optical viewfinder, but I do want an EVF. Build quality, Picture quality is great.

Last edited:

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
you know.. the fuji reminds me a lot of a range finder camera, without the spiffy focusing mechanisms. But, I already have a DSLR, and I need a fun camera. I guess this fuji makes it fun!