Just got my Wisdom teeth pulled...hurts just a bit! -POLL Updated!-

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Rallispec
took a while to fully recover and for the holes to heal over... however i was eating solid food and had stopped hurting by the next day

Yeah, yeah that's the ticket!

SO you won't be needing those pills right?!

PM me and I'll give you the address to send them to! ;)

4Lclovergirl

Mar 25, 2003
I just got mine out a few weeks ago. I couldn't eat solid food for just over a week b/c my jaw was so stiff from swelling I couldn't openit to eat anything other then that on a spoon. However, It took a full 2 weeks to get rid of the pain completly, and it still hurts just a bit if I put pressure on it or talk to much. But all 4 got taken out, and were impacted. Plus, keep in mind, while the pain may be gone, it takes about a month for the gums to completly heal up, so keep them real clean, and brush your teeth!

Oh, and one more thing, it's the 2-3rd day after that hurts the worst, especially if they were impacted. No lie. They told me this, and I thought I was fine so went out to the bar, the next morning my whole face was swollen and I was in so much pain! I had to start making sure I took the pain meds RIGHT before going to bed or every morning I had a painful awakening.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
healed quite quickly, 2-3 days. and thats with the guy slicing bone and gums to get em out cuz they had not errupted yet. only used local anesthesia:) mini buzz saw tad scary though.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I had to go back in about 11pm on the day I got mine pulled because the damn bleeding wouldn't stop. Teabags, gauze, nothing would stop it.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
wheres the option for not having them pulled?

stev0 <- didn't need to have his pulled :D

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
A few weeks for the holes to close up. Hope you like warm blasts of salt water into gaping bloody wounds.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002

I had my two upper wisdom pulled, didn't have lower ones. No pain and no swelling at all, so no need to use the drugs they gave me.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
It took about two days for me to be able to use my mouth normally. It still hurt a lot at that point, due to the fact that the fscking painkillers I got did nothing. So, I self medicated with a "few" beers the day after I got them pulled.

Realistically though, I considered it healed after two days, because I could eat well enough without causing myself more pain. They still hurt at that point, but eating didnt make it hurt much worse, so...

YMMV

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
About two days of pain, but once u pop a codine pill, in 20 mins I was knocked out cold sleeping. Lol love the codine!!! Afterwards, it takes a few weeks for the holes to heal up and you're fine. Make sure to pull the food particles out before the holes cover up or else you're going to have rotting food sealed up by the holes. WOOT!

SaigonK

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
www.robertrivas.com
No bleeding at all for me now, I only got two of them pulled on the bottom, and I got no pain relivers, dont really need them at all.
I heard that I might swell up after 48 hours for a day or two, but I got a bit of swelling now and it isnt too bad, keeping some ice on it and taking IBUPROFREN for the pain/swelling stuff.

Glad i got it done, it was beginning to be a pain in the ass, the one on the right was fine and I could hit it with a tooth brush, but on the left it was
crooked and I was always getting food in there and stinking up the place.

Darein

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 2000
I had all four of mine pulled at 8am on day, with just local anesthetic, and only swelled for about an hour and that evening I had a hamburger for dinner. They hardly hurt at all and I only used about half the pain killers I was given. I guess I was real lucky.

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
Haven't had them out and don't intend to. Top ones are all the way in, bottoms are more than halfway in.

kozman31

Jul 1, 2002
dunno how long it hurts for but i'll know soon. Getting all 4 pulled out Friday morning...lucky me

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I had all four of mine pulled out and it took roughly 5 days for me to be fully healed up.

fatkorean

Dec 17, 2001
I had two of mine pulled out and they were impacted. They had to drill into the teeth and crack and break them into four pieces. Then they had to pry them out. Did all this while under local anesthetic. Took about a day before I could eat real food, but I ended up getting dry socket from cleaning out the food particals. I guess I dislodged my scab :( The dry socket hurt more than my teeth getting extracted :p

-fk

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
i refuse to have mine taken out, dentist has been on my ass about it for 2 years now. i figure that when i'm 80 i'll be glad to have them

SaigonK

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
www.robertrivas.com
Funny thing is they didnt tell me anything about cleaning them out until Friday and I got them out this morning.
They say on Friday I should start gargling wamr water and salt 3 times a day for a week once i start doing it.

Man I hope i dont get "dry socket" I hear that sucks ass...I ate some ice cream around lucnh time then some warm soup, nothing hot.
Tried to keep everythin at the fron of my mouth until i had to swallow.

Ate pizza tonight, checked the holes and dont see anyhtin in there...so maybe I will be ok eh? ;D

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
Hahahahaha! I still have and use my wisdom teeth. My mouth was big enough to support them. Wuss.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
I have no idea how long it took. I think it took around 3 days to 5. I remember no pain because I been put to sleep during the entire time while they did their work. I didn't have the teeth big enough for them to actually pull on and the roots have not developed fully.

SaigonK

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
www.robertrivas.com
well day two is here and my right side feels great, the left sid is swelling a tad but stil not that bad if i dont mess with it, going to throw some ice on it again and already took the 600mg ibuprofren pill about an hour ago. :)

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
I had my bottom 2 removed about 6 months ago. It took about a week for it to heal where I could eat normally and brush normally again
Codene Is your friend during the healing process