Just got my first-ever bonus check!

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
I'm almost 30, but this is the first time I've worked for a company with a bonus structure. It's a very large company and no one is ever sure if we're getting bonuses or not. Today I was pleasantly surprised to receive a bonus that was 2/3 of my maximum, and equal to nearly 20% of my salary! That's a nice chunk of change that I wasn't really counting on getting. :beer:
It would have been even better except that Fed and State taxes took out 42% :shocked:, but I am conservative with my exemptions so I should get some of that back at the end of the year.

Anyway, I'll be saving most of it, but I might just have to buy some suspension upgrades for my new Subaru... :D

GRIFFIN1

Golden Member
Nov 10, 1999
I have chronic fatigue syndrome so I'm not able to work. I also experience extreme nausea unless I'm smoking marijuana. I hope you feel better about paying 42% tax since you now know that it allows me to stay home and smoke pot all day. :)

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
I remember my first bonus check back in 1999. I was 23 yrs old at the time, and when i went for my year end review my boss told me about the 5% raise and the $14,000 bonus... I hadnt even expected a bonus, so I was EXTREMELY happy... Until that Thursday when only $8500 of it was deposited... God damn government!

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Would you like to hire my consultation service on how to appropriately spend this bonus? I know of a few places...

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
dude...I wish I could get a bonus check...but I have a government pension plan....so I guess that's a bonus... I just dont get to see it until 30 years after I start!

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000
Congratulations!

Bonuses are the greatest thing EVER.

Suspension upgrades? I never spend mine on cool things, I buy securities... lame.

potoba

Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: GRIFFIN1
I have chronic fatigue syndrome so I'm not able to work. I also experience extreme nausea unless I'm smoking marijuana. I hope you feel better about paying 42% tax since you now know that it allows me to stay home and smoke pot all day. :)

LOL

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Congrats! I was going to post a cynical comment about blowing it all on car parts, but then I reread your post.

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
20%? Man. that's like double my 10% bonus. Congrats, buy yourself at least one toy.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
That's a great bonus man, congrats! If you hadn't planned on needing it, or rather had planned as if it wasn't going to be there, then definitely save/invest it all. Spend maybe a little bit, like take out the wife/girlfriend to a nice dinner and a movie, or something like that, but put as much as you can away. My last job we got "profit sharing", which basically meant if we met an arbitrary and random sales number, we got a certain percentage above that number as a bonus. My bonus check was the same as everybody else who worked as many hours as I did, and we were lucky to get about $20 on it. I didn't even bother cashing it, waste of my Saturday night to go in for the big presentation when they handed them out. Three weeks later I found myself a new job with more pay and overtime if I want it, I consider that giving myself a bonus.

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
first of all, congrats!

i'm curious to hear what company this is.

if you don't want to reveal the company, can you tell us what industry your company operates in?

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Thanks all. I definitely plan to increase my retirement savings with a majority of the cash. Suby upgrades will be minor, probably a couple hundred bucks at most, just want a new rear sway bar and endlinks for those who care. ;)

Chipy, it's a Fortune 500 outsourcing company that does all kinds of stuff. IT, customer service, healthcare, etc.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: GRIFFIN1
I have chronic fatigue syndrome so I'm not able to work.

Isn't that another way of saying you're a lazy sack of shit? Thought so.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
I got my first bonus earlier this year. The structure at my company is similar to yours - max is 20% of yearly salary, and it depends on the company's over-all performance for the previous year. Had a couple strikes against me though: 1) at the time, I had only been there about 6 months, so I was only elligible for 50% of what ever the full bonus was. 2) We also didn't do well enough to get the full 100% but it was fairly close. and finally, on top of both of those, Uncle Sam helped himself to a good chunk before I got my check. Hopefully this year will be better :)

Nathan