Just got my car fixed. What is a Coil Wire

DPK

Jan 10, 2000
My car wouldn't start so I had it towed ot a local mechanic. I was told that the problem was the coil wire and it wasn't getting a spark. However, I remember seeing a spark in the engine when trying to start it. What is the coil wire problem the mechanic was talking about? It cost me $75.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
the wire that goes from the coil to the distributor or spark plug. if you saw a spark then god help you.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
diagnostics = $35
labor = $35 (minimum 1/2 hour, actually took 2 minutes)
part = $5

Is that how it was broken down? I used to have a car that the coil would go bad on almost weekly. I went through dozens of them (old style Le Baron)

I miss that car. It was missing a few teeth (apparently) on the fly wheel. If it stopped in just the right spot, the starter would just spin freely. I'd have to pop the hood, pull on the belt to turn it, then attempt to start it again.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I had an old LeBaron too (1988 GTS hatch).. needed a coil wire also once just before I got rid of it. car needed NO other maintenance really.. oh, a new alternator at 240,000 kms (it was original) and a few mass airflow sensors and it was good to go :D

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: CraigRT
a few mass airflow sensors and it was good to go :D

A few? Those suckers aren't cheap! Well, I suppose there's plenty of them in the junkyard;)