Just got my 5870, this can't be right...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Is the card sitting tightly in the slot? Try re-installing the 8800 GT and pay close attention to the locking into the PCIe slot.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Windows Experience Index is 6.0. This is a red flag since 4890 gets 6.9.

Your problem is likely drivers. I would get DriverCleaner and reinstall the drivers.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: miteethor
This isn't slow boot, it's slow POST. Literally 1 minute, it hits the CD drive 8 times, then you finally see the POST screen with HD, memory, CPU, etc. After that Windows boot is fine.

It hits the CD drive 8 times? Did you leave a CD/DVD in there? Sounds like it.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I have a feeling the POST part isn't ever going to be resolved with this MB. After fixing the CPU multiplier it's definitely faster, just not the 2x or more faster I was expecting - more like a 30% increase.

Let me break it to you... 2x8800GT in SLI are somewhat faster than a GTX285, especially at 1680x1050 (not vRAM limited). Let's say 5-10%. Now, a HD5870 is around 50% faster than a GTX285. So since your setup was already faster than a GTX285, I'd say you're just around the number it should be faster now (30%) - take into account that all the benches on the web were done on an overclocked Core i7 (from 3.2 to 3.8GHz). And your 3.0 GHz Core 2 ain't the fastest thing available - it's quite a bit slower (even when 2 cores are used only). That could easily account for the missing ~10%.

Finally, it's Crysis. That game just won't run so great, no matter what hardware you throw at it. Try to up the AA and you will probably see you'll be getting the same framerates (slower CPU so the Radeon is dozing off).

In the end you have one card. No scaling issues, no heat issues and most likely a lot quieter. And quite a bit faster. Try other games too. And no, 3DMarks are not games. Though if you were expecting a miracle jump, it ain't gonna happen.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Originally posted by: RussianSensation
Windows Experience Index is 6.0. This is a red flag since 4890 gets 6.9.

Your problem is likely drivers. I would get DriverCleaner and reinstall the drivers.

This is what I think as well. Either do this or format your PC.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Qbah
I have a feeling the POST part isn't ever going to be resolved with this MB. After fixing the CPU multiplier it's definitely faster, just not the 2x or more faster I was expecting - more like a 30% increase.

Let me break it to you... 2x8800GT in SLI are somewhat faster than a GTX285, especially at 1680x1050 (not vRAM limited). Let's say 5-10%. Now, a HD5870 is around 50% faster than a GTX285. So since your setup was already faster than a GTX285, I'd say you're just around the number it should be faster now (30%) - take into account that all the benches on the web were done on an overclocked Core i7 (from 3.2 to 3.8GHz). And your 3.0 GHz Core 2 ain't the fastest thing available - it's quite a bit slower (even when 2 cores are used only). That could easily account for the missing ~10%.

Finally, it's Crysis. That game just won't run so great, no matter what hardware you throw at it. Try to up the AA and you will probably see you'll be getting the same framerates (slower CPU so the Radeon is dozing off).

In the end you have one card. No scaling issues, no heat issues and most likely a lot quieter. And quite a bit faster. Try other games too. And no, 3DMarks are not games. Though if you were expecting a miracle jump, it ain't gonna happen.

He's right.:thumbsup: You are a little cpu limited and 8800gt's in sli are not that much slower then a 5870 @ 1650x1050. If you overclocked your cpu some you will see better increases.

miteethor

Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Qbah

Yeah I think you are right. I guess I didn't give my 8800GT's enough credit. I had no idea they were faster than a GTX285 at my LCD's native rez. I suppose I'll take what improvements I can get for now and wait patiently for my tax return to finish building my new rig.

Also thanks for the link to the new drivers - I'll scrub this and install them tomorrow.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
The P5N32 series taking 1 minute to POST problem happended to me with an ATI 4850 HD, and to a lesser extent, a GeForce 7300GT. Disabling the extra 2 Silicon Image SATA ports was the culprit on my board - they were causing it to search for drives for the extra minute.

It sounds like you're having a similar problem.
-------------

The P5N is a pretty old motherboard series at this point -- You should look for a cheap P35 or P45 board here on the forums.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
you're using a problematic mb, a problematic OS, and a pre-release driver.

whats ur problem?

buddatech

Jun 1, 2009
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS

whats ur problem?

That couldn't be anymore correct! Too many variables.... if anything I would have just duked it out until tax time for your new GPU upgrade, by then the nVidia 300 series should be out and the ATi 5 series should have dropped in price significantly.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
a little bit silly to have such a fast card at 1680 with that cpu. your 8800gt sli setup was already pretty fast and if you want much more performance you are also going to need a faster cpu especially at just 1680. as you know a 5870 is like a 4870x2 and your E6850 is not going to fully push that much gpu at 1680. IMO you also need more ram. TBH you have just stuck about the fastest gpu on the market in a system that cant fully utilize it.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Well getting back on track the op should contact asus by opening a tech ticket and explain the problem to them. Perhaps they'll release a revised bios to him addressing his slow post problem. Another possibility is that the optical drive is going bad which can also cause slow boot times as well.

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
what speed is the 5870 clocked at in CCC? i found mine running at a lower speed at one point (750/800 or something) including when the game was running (switched to windowed mode)

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
I believe that anand mentioned in his article that the 5870 will downclock if it gets too hot. Maybe you have a heatsink issue?

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
your computer is definitely bottlenecking the card. get a i7 oc to like 4ghz and you should see a nice boost in performance. your current cpu//ram not enough.

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
I believe that anand mentioned in his article that the 5870 will downclock if it gets too hot. Maybe you have a heatsink issue?

Not a bad idea here. This won't affect the POST issue, but have you checked gpu-z to make sure the card is working properly and temps are good?

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: buddatech
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS

whats ur problem?

That couldn't be anymore correct! Too many variables.... if anything I would have just duked it out until tax time for your new GPU upgrade, by then the nVidia 300 series should be out and the ATi 5 series should have dropped in price significantly.

yeah, I stated this on the third post !!

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Insomniator
2 gigs and a 3.0 dual core wtf?

And windows 7 too?
I noticed my performance wasn't quite as good as windows xp.
Mabe a early video driver problem?

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
heh poor OP, getting so beat up ;) .. but yeah, wouldn't run 7 without 3+ GB myself (3 seems *just enough* for most things on my i7)