Just Got Hit With Freezing Rain...Again Tuesday Feb 12

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
UPDATE:

A week later and BAM! hit with more snow and freezing rain today. Schools and school buses are cancelled here.

It would be interesting if they canceled the schools and not the buses....and also the other way around.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Had lot of snow today and suppose to snow all week. Snow banks are getting pretty crazy haha. I should put a gopro on my car and drive around on one of my days off and put it on Youtube. May as well wait till March or April though, that's when we'll probably double the snow we have now.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
It's been an odd winter. Was driving to work today and had to drive through snow and occasionally some large puddles of standing water. The water then froze over the right side of my car making it impossible to see out the right passenger window

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Is freezing rain just another local term for skeet?

I’m wondering about that too cause frozen rain is sleet. But they seem to call rain that freezes on the cold ground freezing rain.

We got weird stuff yesterday. Bunch of snow then rain, then both and finally rain till 3 AM. Mother Nature is so schizophrenic.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Freezing rain is basically rain, but then it freezes. It creates an ice layer on top of everything. Sometimes it will get mixed in with snow so it makes more of an ice crust. Really nasty stuff as it's usually permanent for the rest of the season. You can't really take that stuff off of anything without using a large amount of heat or force that would damage whatever you're taking it off of. For the car, that means running it for an hour or so to at least get the worst of it off.

My solar panels have been out of commission since around December as we got some around that time. Well they still produce, but only enough to trickle charge the battery.

When I was a kid I remember after freezing rain it was kind of fun to walk right on top of the snow as it had a thick ice layer that was strong enough to support my weight without sinking in. Could cut out chunks and use it as fort building material.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
2 updates:

1. The snow is still falling and it looks like 6" or so has fallen. It is very windy so the windchill is brutal now.

2. Seems some of the posters are missing the joke from brainhulk.

:)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
We're supposed to get 5-8 inches of snow Friday. Hopefully they let us go home early or just cancel work :p

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
The snow has stopped for now. There were multiple collisions all over southern Ontario yesterday including 1 fatality.

It was a mess all over here yesterday.

test.png

test2.png

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Never got snow overnight but we are getting some tonight now. Only like 10-15cm though so nothing that crazy.

I need to take a pic of my yard some time though, the snow is taller than my car. Like when my car is parked on the street I don't even see it from inside the house lol.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
iT IS A FINGER NUMBING 60 DEGREES WHERE I LIVE YEAR AROUND!
I have always wondered how people where I live keep from slipping and sliding all over the roadways!
Walking down the street is just perilous! I mean what with the weather and all I don`t under stand how people keep from twisting an ankle while they walk what with the dry sidewalks and all!
I mean to tell you it is a real mess out here in California!
Why just yesterday I had to clean the sunshine and warmth off my windsheild!! Brr it`s just terrible!!!

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Never got snow overnight but we are getting some tonight now. Only like 10-15cm though so nothing that crazy.

I need to take a pic of my yard some time though, the snow is taller than my car. Like when my car is parked on the street I don't even see it from inside the house lol.
Looks like we will be getting clear but cold skies from Saturday to at least Wednesday.

Oh, and this was in the National Post today:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...and-real-estate-helps-red-squirrels-to-thrive

:)

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Man the sidewalks are slick today. Top layer of snow melted, drained onto the sidewalks and then froze overnight

I’m wondering about that too cause frozen rain is sleet. But they seem to call rain that freezes on the cold ground freezing rain.

The second part is right. Sleet is generally no big deal but rain that freezes when it hits the road is because the water spreads out more before freezing making for very smooth and slippery surfaces

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
We are currently being hit by ultra intense sun rays that are melting the early week chaos which is unfortunate because I wanted to go sledding :(

Also unfortunate because I shoveled for nothing lol

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Reactions: Iron Woode