Just got F@H SMP client running, need help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blert

Sep 30, 2005
The trick that I found that worked for me to have all cores folding on my quad core was to install the SMP client on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th machines (cores) FIRST, then install the graphical version to core one- otherwise they all wanted to default to machine (core) 1 if I tried to do it any other way. Kinda weird...but it worked!

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
You installed 3 instances of the SMP and a GPU client as well on a quad core?

The SMP is designed to run on a quad core all by itself. You can run two SMP clients and eek out a few extra points, but I think you are self defeating by installing so many.

I also don't understand what you are describing when you say you are installing to a specific core. Do you mean the machine ID number? That is just an identifier, not a core assignment.

I think you might be mistaken about a single instance of SMP not running on all 4 cores.

-Sid

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Here's a link to the FAH WIKI "How to" page. There's lots of info and instructions for:

CLI (command line interface clients)
-"hands-on" client for single core or slower dual core machines
-can run 2 clients on dual core machines (separate directories and run with -local switch)
GUI (Graphical User Interface client or Graphical client)
-easy to set up and run and designed for single core machines
SMP client (Symmetric MultiProcessing?)
-high performance client designed for high speed dual core and quad core machines
-big bonus points!!!;)

Not covered in the FAH wiki "how to" page:

GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) client
-this is covered here
-I don't much about this client so I'll let others comment;)

:beer:

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
It is hard to keep all of these different clients straight.

I think part of the problem is that the Graphical User Interface - GUI - clients have to be MachineID = 1. (Not sure but that is the way it used to be).

So if you want to run one of the GUI clients and another one or more clients they have to be a console (command line interface - CLI) type client. These other clients need to have their MachineID set to something other than 1 by entering Advanced during Configuration.

All clients need to be in their own directory (folder). And if a GUI type client was ever installed on computer you need to add the -local flag to any CLI type client (this is the way it used to be with older clients if not newer ones).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ok, I got things installed, but I'm not sure if they're running. Here's a picture

Is the supposed to do something else at this point? How do I tell if it is running?

Drat. Installed ATITool, and it appears that temps did not go up. Running the "3d view" in ATITool makes temps rise, but they drop again when I close that window.

So what do I have to do to make this #@%@#% thing work.

Edit: Stopped my two instances of SB, and then, temps started to rise. This is truely unfortunate, as I had hoped to crunch SB as well as F@H.

Any ideas as to how I can get them to work together?

Wow, checking my CPU time, they weren't kidding about the F@H GPU client needing a dedicated CPU core to feed it. That sux.

I tried changing the CPU priority of the FAH_CORE task to "normal", but that still didn't help. Running SB just destroys the CPU time that the CPU core helper for the GPU client gets.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Ok, I got things installed, but I'm not sure if they're running. Here's a picture

Is the supposed to do something else at this point? How do I tell if it is running?

it looks good so far.

don't close the window (just minimize it so it's out of the way)

you can check back to it in a little while and see if it reports steps being completed.

Also you can monitor your graphic card temperature (I'm not familiar with ATI utilities) to see if it has heated up.

-Sid

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry

Drat. Installed ATITool, and it appears that temps did not go up. Running the "3d view" in ATITool makes temps rise, but they drop again when I close that window.

So what do I have to do to make this #@%@#% thing work.
I'm not an expert with the GPU, but until someone that knows comes along:

The GPU client needs most of one CPU for polling (a DX thing I think). So depending on the level of priority of the two SOB clients and the level of the F@H client it may not be getting enough CPU. Is your CPU a dual or quad?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's a dual, unfortunately. I have the two SB clients at idle priority 1. I figured that by setting the priority of the FAH_CORE file, I could give it enough CPU time, but that doesn't work.

Edit: I closed one of the SB clients, and now F@H is getting enough CPU time, but both of my CPUs aren't maxed out. Also, I'm getting slight graphical anomolies on the desktop now.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
I don't think it's normal to have artifacts on the desk top while folding with the GPU client. (I don't use the GPU, so I don't really know.)

You might want to check for overheating or too much clock (if you adjust them)

-Sid

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
If the GPU client is like the other F@H clients, you should be able to configure the client to two priorities - low and idle - I'm not sure how those will compare to SBs' priority. But if low is higher than SB then you could probably run two SB to max out your CPU.

I think Assimilator1 has/had two DPAD and the F@H GPU going at same time.
I wish Assimilator1 or another GPU folder would see your question. Maybe post in the daily thread or the Race thread?