Just got back from the AMD Reality Check 2

TrueBlueLS

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2001
I was happy that I walked away a winner of a brand new CPU. I couldn't believe I was the first winner of the night. Now I wish I didn't put a XP1800+ in this thing 2 weeks ago.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I completely forgot about the Raleigh one. Funny...cuz I'm goin to Raleigh/Durham THIS weekend...

TrueBlueLS

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2001
I thought the set up could have been better, but hey... I got a free CPU. What the hell do I care?

HappyFace

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Thats awesome! :) Let me know if you want to sell one of the 2 processors, I'm looking for a good deal :D

TrueBlueLS

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2001
Originally posted by: HappyFace
Thats awesome! :) Let me know if you want to sell one of the 2 processors, I'm looking for a good deal :D

I was thinking of selling the CPU AMD will mailing out to me. I haven't decided yet though... I need to get my computer over in the FS forum sold.

J1600B

Nov 15, 2002
OOPS. I started another post so I'll copy here.

The website makes it sound as if there will be demonstrations, information, feedback, and unveiling of the new(er) processors.

WRONG!

I have just gotten home from the Detroit, MI show. After waiting in line for over 45 minutes in the sprinkling rain and cold weather, it turned out to be something along the lines of a communist rally with a bunch of monkies chanting A-M-D and no apparent reason why, except to maybe be the lucky one to get a t-shirt or a hat with the AMD logo. Their "Battle of the boxes" consisted of 10 random people drawn from hundreds, that were brought up on stage in two rounds of 5, and asked questions like "Who is the current CEO of AMD?" and "When was AMD founded?". The lucky winner from each round got to "build" (if you can even call it that) a system and have it benchmarked against the other. Both were randomly "given" one of 3 amounts of money to use to buy parts to use on their rig. They used the K7N? (i think) by MSI and were given 3 optional groups of equipment which consisted of;
1. XP 1800+ or XP 2000+
2. 128 MB PC2100 or 256MB PC2700
3. Onboard nForce or G4 440 MX
Then both contestants had 30 minutes to build their rig.
The processor/fan came already attached to the board. A certain set of guidelines had to be followed along the lines of "6 screws in the motherboard" and "no overclocking". There was a list, but I couldn't see the whole thing. All the while, the people on stage were throwing t-shirts and hats at the loudest, roudiest areas of the mob. There were computers set up from various manufacturers, i.e Sony, HP, etc. which had games on them. Apparently this was their demonstration section.

All in all, I feel this event was a total waste of time. A poorly written article about specifications and benchmarks of motherboards/processor combos would have been ten times more exciting. Nothing enlightened me, I learned nothing. I was lucky to hear half the words that came from their microphone muffled mouths. Maybe I would be singing a different toon if I walked away with one of the processors that was given away, but I doubt it. My disappointment in the event would have just been shadowed by having a new processor to play with.

Anyway, there's my opinion. What do you think?