Just got an asus N53SV-XV1 and extremely disappointed....

ncage

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2001
http://www.amazon.com/N53SV-XV1-15-6.../ref=de_a_smtd

Great notebook for the most part but the wireless card must be the worst POS out there. Also the documentation is pretty bad.

I have a 4 year old lenovo R61 with an Intel 4965AGN Wireless N card.

For the most part i really like the asus labtop and got it because of the ability to put up to 16GB of ram into it. My wireless router is a Dlink DIR-655.

When i look at the connection speed of my lenvo its telling me 130 Mbps.

The asus notebook has an atheros AR9002WB-1NG card. Its telling me the connection speed is 150Mbps.

I noticed last night it was taking forever to download stuff from the internet. For example i went to go to install acronis trueimage. Acronis checks for a new version and ask you if you want to instead download the new version and install that. I told it yes of course. It took like 40 minutes.....and its something that generally is very fast (less than 3 minutes). I decided this morning to decide to download acronis trueimage manually from the browser (its about 160mb). It told me a time estimate of 35 minutes.

I have a fast 25Mbps comcast blast service. So i go to my lenovo labtop and try to download it....it downloads it in less than 2 minutes. I try the same thing on a variety of other sites and the same thing. I can download stuff fast (going through the same router) on my lenovo but asus takes forever.

I tried to download the lastest version of my wireless drivers at asus:
http://support.asus.com/download/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

but of course they don't even have the atheros drivers...just intel wireless drivers.

Sure i could try to swap the wireless card out with an intel card but i'm not willing to do that for a brand new notebook when the wireless card should at least be able to keep up with my cable connection especially when the docs for the asus is horrible. They don't even tell what kind of ram is compatible with the labtop or how to upgrade it. Had to go to crucial.com to find out.

I'm really thinking on returning it. I've only had one labtop before (lenovo R61) and didn't know an aftermarket wireless card could be so bad. What do you guys think?

Edit: Forgot to say i'm using WPA2 with AES but that shouldn't matter.

Last edited:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Just got my Asus today...

I have a 3Mbps cable modem connection (just downgraded all of my services from Time Warner - was getting 9Mbps before the downgrade - might need to reconsider this :) ) ...

I just tested the download speeds using my desktop, a Dell E6410 and the Asus...

The latest 460GTX NVIDIA driver (about 130 MB) took about 12 minutes on all 3 machines...

The Dell and Asus were connected via wireless - WPA2, 150Mbps

Haven't had much time to play with the Asus yet though...I will add another 8GB of memory and install a 120GB SSD...

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I went back to my 10MB/s connection today and downloaded the Nvidia driver file again...Took 2 min 45 seconds on the ASUS...

Not sure what ncage did his laptop but there is absolutely nothing wrong with mine..

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Using my Asus G73, i pay for 25mbps download and 25mbps upload, and i am getting 29Mbps download and 23 Mbps upload. I know it isnt the same as yours but not all Asus notebooks are bad ;)

Also it is LAPTOP and NOT LABTOP

mwep

Apr 22, 2011
Ok so I was only a watcher in this forum but this thread drove me to become a member and post...

C'mon are you serious about bashing a system based on your download speed from a website ? Much less Asus's website which is typically slow on any system.

Why not test local speeds ? There are so many things which could be causing a slowdown and most likely its a switch on your ISP which is acting up.

I have the ASUS N53SV-XV1 which I have been using for 3 weeks now and all I can say is its amazing, including the wireless. Sure it doesn't have 5GHz but I knew that when I purchased it. My connection is strong and reliable.

The keyboard kind of sucks because there's a lot of flex but I also don't sit there and punch keys to the point its noticeable. My bigger concern is the fact that Asus changed the keyboard layout. They put the freaking delete key at the bottom of the board... wtf ?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Very probably a fixable anomaly, not a deficiency in your Asus. In addition, Asus has high reputation for reliability.

davidkohli

Apr 27, 2011
Installed the Lenovo driver, still no joy:\ I have been using CNET's bandwidth meter to test. With the wireless I see 300-500 kbps, with ethernet connection I see 2300-2500 kbps and with my 5 year old Dell laptop wireless I also see 2300-2500kbps.

Dec 28, 2001
Why the new account? Anyhow, it's more than likely a bum unit - why don't you contact the seller (Amazon/Newegg) and see if they'll do a replacement item?

davidkohli

Apr 27, 2011
A new account because I am not the OP. I am another user with a similar machine, with a similar complaint (googled " ASUS N53SV-XE1 slow wifi" and found this thread). Thinking I will return it.

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
Can you safely open the case and access the WiFi card to make sure the antenna lead(s) are securely attached?

I had a problem with my Acer Travelmate's WiFi card when it was new. I could only manage weak connections, even when within a foot of the router. Turned out one of my antenna leads came detached from the modem. After I re-attached the lead, and ever since, it's been full speed ahead.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
can you call them and get the solution? also let me know how long it takes on the phone this weekend.

msschro

May 2, 2011
I also have an N53 as well as a D-Link router and I have this issue, wired connection is fast, wireless is very very slow and drops the connection occasionally.

I have found that changing the router to "802.11g only" fixes the slow connection speed. So the issue is Wireless-N related...Mixed mode does not work either.

I was getting 200 kB/s on Wireless N, now my speed is 2MB/s on G.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
A new account because I am not the OP. I am another user with a similar machine, with a similar complaint (googled " ASUS N53SV-XE1 slow wifi" and found this thread). Thinking I will return it.

can you fix this kind of situation by buying one of those USB wireless antenna things ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704045

"TP-LINK TL-WN722N IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 High Gain Wireless Adapter Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128 bits WEP WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)"

$25

XXRay

May 29, 2011
I also have an N53 as well as a D-Link router and I have this issue, wired connection is fast, wireless is very very slow and drops the connection occasionally.

I have found that changing the router to "802.11g only" fixes the slow connection speed. So the issue is Wireless-N related...Mixed mode does not work either.

I was getting 200 kB/s on Wireless N, now my speed is 2MB/s on G.

I had the same problem and tried everything I could think of, changing the driver (LENOVO version is most stable) changing the buffer size for transmission etc etc. I managed to boost the transfer speed but the ping time kept staying at an abnorm 350ms. Then I got the idea of turning of the Trend Micro Titanium that followed with the pc. Suddenly I am down to 5ms and full acceptabel upload and download speed. I have an Toshiba QOSMIO on the side, with the intel Wifi 5100 I can get 65Mbps in 5Ghz mode download but in 2.4Ghz band I can only reach 35Mbps with the AR9002WB and the Intel 5100. So if it is possible to swap the wifi to an intel that supports 5Ghz band I would do that.

BTA

Jun 7, 2005
Jesus people, you can get an intel mini-pcie wireless card for like $12 on ebay.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i agree, fuck it and just return it. otherwise, if you dont want to part with the machine, buy a new wireless card for it on ebay for the cost of mcdonalds #2 meal and be done with it.

lokmac

Nov 23, 2011
I've got a Toshiba Qosmio X770. Same wireless card. Same problems. It drops out from time to time. The connection is quite unreliable. Sometimes it appears to be connected, but struggles with some websites (for instance I almost always get prompted by GMail to reload the page when I first navigate to it). Also, I get the impression the connection gets slower and slower over time. I thought it might be dropping packets, but doesn't seem to be (based only on ping'ing google for a while).

Also, has anyone else noticed that it takes AGES to connect and be useable in the first place? At least a minute or two. It says it's connected, but it won't do anything for ages after I bring the computer out of standby. I've got at least half a dozen other devices on the same network without a problem.

Very annoying.

So it's possible just to swap the network card hey? Problem is, I'm assuming that will void the warranty? I've got 3 years, and only 1 month in, so too early to do any warranty voiding...

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
You can get a USB wifi adapter and use that instead. I do that for a Shuttle XPC in my home theater where the built-in wifi is poor.

nitrous9200

Mar 1, 2007
If the wireless card is easily accessible, say by removing some panel underneath the laptop, just buy an intel 4965 or 5100 and pop it in there as mentioned. I know in some laptops, like HP's, this doesn't always work but they're cheap on eBay and it's worth trying.

projectseahorse

Nov 19, 2012
Hello All,

I have a problem with my Asus n53sv with AR900WB-1NG wireless card that only connects at maximum 65mbps while other laptops on the same router connects at 72mbps or 150mbps. If anyone can provide me with a solution for this problme I would greatly appreciate it as I have tried to find a solution to this problem for a long time with no luck.

I read it on the previous posts that it is an easy fix if I can switch the wireless card. While I appreciate these advices and would certainaly try them if I have the capabilities, but the sad truth is that I have very limited understanding in swapping hardwards in computer products and has had very bad luck trying them. The n53sv is the only laptop I have currently and if I fry this one doing the swap I would be in very big trouble because I cannot obtain another computer at the moment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
Try grabbing updated drivers for an n56vz if you can't find drivers for your n53. I had loss of issues with my wireless and asus own update service did not work. I had to dl and install the atheros driversmanually

projectseahorse

Nov 19, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your reply! Where should I go get the atheros drivers manually? I tried to find it on the ahteros website (part of qualcomm) but cannot find it. Are you saying that I can just use the wireless driver that is under the n56vz page on Asus website? Thanks!