Just got a govt. job

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Basically my job would be safer with a ____ President.

I heard democrats like to cut jobs from the government while republicans like to keep/add jobs to the government even if the economy is hurting.
Democrats start cutting people from the government to meet their financial goals.

Just what I heard.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
You want to vote for (and be a member of same party) the winner. Your political affiliation (if you're mid level on up) makes a world of difference in government work.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Aimster

I heard democrats like to cut jobs from the government while republicans like to keep/add jobs to the government even if the economy is hurting.
Democrats start cutting people from the government to meet their financial goals.

Just what I heard.

Where have you been listening? If that's so, then the Republican mantra that Democrats are all "tax and spend" is bullshit.

You could always try to do your own homework, vote your conscience and live with the results. If your candidate/party wins, and you lose your job, at least it will be consistant with your own ideas of what's best for the nation.

OTOH, if you vote for the party with which you disagree just to keep your job, you'll have become yet another political whore willing to sell your conscience for the bucks.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey

OTOH, if you vote for the party with which you disagree just to keep your job, you'll have become yet another political whore willing to sell your conscience for the bucks.

Once you learn to do that, then become a politician. Then you can whore for the big bucks :p

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Nebor
You want to vote for (and be a member of same party) the winner. Your political affiliation (if you're mid level on up) makes a world of difference in government work.

In the GS/foreign service it does not. Maybe for a political appointment it will.

Just yesterday we were told to take down any cartoon/sign that may have some type of political reference.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Whoever wins just say you voted for them, especially if it's McCain. It will take a few years to get the cronyism out of the system.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
IMO, Dems tend to be the more 'efficiency driven' party; whether it was the 'Truman commission in WWII' to search for (and punish) waste and profiteering (compare that to the spending and treatment of contractors in the current military conflicts), or the relatively small governments at the height of 'liberals' JFK and LBJ (government blew up under Nixon and Reagan), or the commission led by Al Gore to cut the government's staff (hardest hit was the military; many others as well though), I see the democrats' 'big spending' in areas of helping the public and solving problems, not in 'government waste'. "Government Waste" has become little but a political hot potatoe used for trying to persuade voters (usually of something bad for them.)

Reagan had the 'Grace Commission', but we know how much government shrunk under him.

The thing is, no one in politics likes 'government waste' for things like new carpets and painting annually. Not necessarily because they care so much about the taxpayer money, but because the money, which is limited, can be used for purposes the politicians would prefer it be used for, whether it's big corporate subsidies or healthcare. If you vote for a party because they tell you they're against 'government waste', you are pretty much throwing away your vote and being manipulated.

And you have to ask why they're giving you the nonsense line about government waste instead of talking about their actual policies.

Aimster, I'm not going to criticize you for the self-interested approach you are taking, because to do so is the same flaw as bommunism makes, trying to get something good by ignoring human nature. It's better to acknowledge that people largely make their decisions like you are doing there than to tell you not to and just make you sorry you asked. It's not that there isn't room for criticism, but rather just that I see it as of little point.

But you should consider the larger picture, is it worth a little short-term benefit if the price is further driving our nation down so that our nation's freedoms and such are threatened?

Here's how I see it working: on the one hand, you really can't get people not to vote for selfish short-term interest. The thing on the other hand, though, that limits the corruption is that other people have their own selfish desires, and as long as democracy has a place, any group is subject to others, the majority, voting for themselves too. So if 1% of the population are in Aimster's situation and they vote selfishly, that's not a majority vote.

That's how parties basically get elected, by persuading 51% that it's in their selfish interest.

The thing is, there's only so much money to go around, so only people get the 'direct benefit' financially; others need to be paid off in other currency, such as a 'good cause'.

The more the politicians can make people vote for them for things that don't cost money - such as social conservative agendas or 'change' - the more money they have for others.

Aimster, the Republicans may be better on average for you in terms of cutting government workers - but how good are they for you in other areas? Is it worth voting for their torture of people? Is it worth their further corruprting our democracy with the increase in concentration of wealth and power? Will you sleep better at night voting for what's right?

I think your post is a great example of how hard it is to get rid of 'corruption'. If you post that, how much trouble will multi-billion dollae conglomorates with big defense contracts go to? Are they going to give up their billions rather than to push for policies of war that make them the big bucks?

I think a good way to look at government corruption is as a group of people who want to take taxpayer money and need some 'cover' to do so. If they can convince the public that the leaders are so wrapped in the flag and wonderful that they shouldn't be examined much (think Reagan for his following), they can get away with almost anything and just hand out the money. For most, they need 'cover'. It might be bg corporate farm subsidies under the cover of the family farm, it might be war under the cover of 'defending freedom and defeating evil', it might be a drug company payoff under the cover of a Medicare drug bill, it might be big bucks to private schools by closing public schools under the cover of 'accountability for schools'.

On this, every political party with power is guilty to some degree (those who have no power have the luxury of the high road and condemning it).

If you want to get rid of corruption in government, start with how you would ask Aimster to vote against his own situation, other than 'but but but that's selfish'.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Depends on the department. If it's CIA, I'd say vote for McCain. If it's subsidized housing, Obama.

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
Wait....

You are scared to lose a GOVT JOB?

Jeez man, those are the easiest jobs to retain. Especially ones that give you any kind of clearance.

If you lose a govt job, its your own damn fault.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Vote for whoever you like. If you are GS or WG, you are set for life. Even SES is hard to get kicked out. Only political appointments will lose jobs.

As for cuting government, ain't gonna happen. Dems and Repubs both have a vested interest in growing government. Which parts grow the most dedpend on whether the prez is a dem or repub.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I worked for the fed govt at one time. A hiring freeze was put in place by Reagan (Republican). He also messed with our pay. The base closing comission was put together by GHWB (Republican). Many military bases closed in California, thousands laid off.

Ronnie contracted out lots of govt jobs, regardless of the cost. Republicans have continued this trend. Now our military can't even function without contractors.

If you are a govt worker, you want a democrat, if you are a contractor, you want a Republican.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: marincounty
I worked for the fed govt at one time. A hiring freeze was put in place by Reagan (Republican). He also messed with our pay. The base closing comission was put together by GHWB (Republican). Many military bases closed in California, thousands laid off.

Ronnie contracted out lots of govt jobs, regardless of the cost. Republicans have continued this trend. Now our military can't even function without contractors.

If you are a govt worker, you want a democrat, if you are a contractor, you want a Republican.

You make a good point I hadn't considered, while the Dems may get rid of some positions, the Repubs seem more likely to cut pay, benefits, etc.

It's not entirely unlike the way the Republicans today, at the height of 'support the troops' rhetoric, are not voting for a lot of good benefits for them, while dems passed the GI bill.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Since you have to ask, you must be a Democrat. They (you) can only operate by direction from their leadership.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Most in the military realm tend to lean Republican. Others in the social services sectors tend to lean Democratic. That much should be obvious. But it really doesn't matter one way or another, you're not going to get fired because of your political affiliation. And if you are in the defense sector, the only people that need to worry are DOD contractors. They are the ones who are going to get cut BIG time if Obama wins and we pull out of Iraq. For DOD government workers, it'll be back to business as normal, working on go-nowhere R&D projects and 15 year long acquisition programs.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Just what I heard.

During your interview did you tell them how you believe the US Government has committed more acts of terrorism than Al Qaeda?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Corbett

Just what I heard.

During your interview did you tell them how you believe the US Government has committed more acts of terrorism than Al Qaeda?
Congratulations, you're now one of the millions who've had their communications tracked without a warrant :)

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Any civil servant who votes republican has a severe cranio-rectal impaction.

Repubs want to privatize and outsource everything, which means a lot less stability for you, and more income for those at the top of the corporate entites who do the subcontracting. Needless to say, they do a whole lot better in the campaign contribution dept than civil servants, and they're part of the rightwing good ol' boy club...

Privatizers don't compete so much as they carve up the market, using contractual switchovers to beat down wages... your old boss is some other guy's new boss, and vice-versa, and they're always stingier with new employees... and they'll never stick around in one place long enough to have any "old" employees...

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
All comes down to your IQ

70< you are a republican
70> you are a democrat

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb

Just what I heard.

Congratulations, you're now one of the millions who've had their communications tracked without a warrant :)

lol. Fine by me. I have nothing to hide and I posted this on a public forum.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Just what I heard.

We have. We've done a lot more of pretty much everything than Al Queda, good and bad.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

Just what I heard.

Are you suggesting that I am a threat or a danger to the U.S and should not hold a govt. job? If not then my political beliefs have no influence on my hiring.

& I never compared the U.S to Al Qaeda

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

Just what I heard.

If you're to believe the stereotypes, you have it backwards.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: jonks
Whoever wins just say you voted for them, especially if it's McCain. It will take a few years to get the cronyism out of the system.

Keep dreaming. The old cronies will just be replaced by the new cronies.