just found out i have strep throat. what to do now?

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
i just looked on webmd.com and figured out i have strep throat. the pain started this morning and is still hurting like hell. what can i do?

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
"Stay the hell away from me"? :p

- M4H

LOL! Damn straight!!

Seriously, you need to get antibiotics Mak.

do i go to the doctor and he'll spray some stuff in my throat? can i get it nonprescription stuff at walgreens or something?

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
it's not necessarily strep throat, it could be some random viral infection. If you want to be sure, go to the doctor and he'll do some token test and then prescribe you antibiotics, no matter what you actually have.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
do i go to the doctor and he'll spray some stuff in my throat? can i get it nonprescription stuff at walgreens or something?

you'd take a week's worth of pills. they're pretty cheap, no real side effects, just don't drink alcohol.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Go see the doctor. They will properly diagnose you, and give you what you need. If its strep, you need an antibiotic. Strep symptoms and mono symptoms are very similar.

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: bigalt

you'd take a week's worth of pills. they're pretty cheap, no real side effects, just don't drink alcohol.

anyone know how much this doctor visit is going to cost around? or should i not worry about cost this time?

emb09

Oct 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Mak0602
i just looked on webmd.com and figured out i have strep throat. the pain started this morning and is still hurting like hell. what can i do?

get vick's chloroplast (sp?) spray and pennicillin (sp?) you will survive.

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: emb09
Originally posted by: Mak0602

get vick's chloroplast (sp?) spray and pennicillin (sp?) you will survive.

i know i'll survive but i don't want to miss school because finals are next week.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Even the pros at webmd will tell you that you need a doctor to confirm the diagnosis.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
anyone know how much this doctor visit is going to cost around? or should i not worry about cost this time?

i'd use the school nurse/doctor, they could probably hook you up.

SpazzyChicken

Feb 8, 2002
I had strep throat every winter for 3 years in high school. :| I couldn't play when my basketball team made it to the state playoffs my junior year (I was 2nd highest scorer and we were knocked out in the first round) :disgust::|

I can't say this enough, GO TO THE DOCTOR. If it is strep, it will get way worse. If you don't have a regular doc/insurance, just go to a walk in/urgent care clinic. Shouldn't cost you too much. They will wipe a long q-tip on the back of your throat (hurts like a mo-fo). Then you will know. If so, some amoxicillin and codine for you!! :)

Oh yeah, I know someone else said it too, and I whole-heartedly agree. Don't drink. It makes it worse.

Hope you feel better soon!

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Go to your school clinic if you don't have insurance. Most universities have walk-in clinics that aren't very expensive. If you really have strep (a bacterial infection), you need antibiotics.

kenshorin

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
kiss your a$$ goodbye!!!! muwahahahahahaha!!!!

sorry bout that, in all seriousness, I used to get strep all the time as a kid. They will swab ya with that thing then give you some pills. Thats it, its no biggie. But if you let it go, it can spread beyond your throat and you will be in deep doggie doo. See a doctor. Even without insurance, a basic Drs visit ain't THAT expensive. But if you let it go and not get it treated, a stay in the hospital will def. set you back. Don't screw around.

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
You wanna get treated for strep because it can get a lot worse if you don't.

Also, if you do have strep, you will be contagious until you get treated with antibiotics.

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
wow this is amazing. i took nitequil last nite, and dayquil this morning and it did nothing, yet i'm eating these halls fruit breezers and they're the only thing relieving my pain.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
go to the doctor immediately. it's not bad, but the infection can spread and give you far worse stuff than a sore throat. they'll just give you some antibiotics and you'll feeling way better in just a couple days. last time i had it, i was down for the count for an entire week before i went in, and it was just getting worse instead of better.