Just finished Portal -- Oh wow.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Man I finished Portal. The HL2 engine still holds up really well in indoor settings. The portal gun is gorgeous looking, and every so often I'd just pause and admire the weapon textures.

But the game is really sweet, and pretty much the perfect length. I love the ending, and the game seems like it was put together with guys really believing in their project. I was really pleased with it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Pugnate
Man I finished Portal. The HL2 engine still holds up really well in indoor settings. The portal gun is gorgeous looking, and every so often I'd just pause and admire the weapon textures.

But the game is really sweet, and pretty much the perfect length. I love the ending, and the game seems like it was put together with guys really believing in their project. I was really pleased with it.

loved it. too short though.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
5 Hrs or so is a perfect length? I prefer atleast 20Hrs for a single player game.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Honestly I am just surprised how people demand 20 hours out of a game so automatically.

The game had one mechanic... the length was perfect in the sense of maintaining freshness. Plus it is a $20 title, so what can one expect?

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: JBT
5 Hrs or so is a perfect length? I prefer atleast 20Hrs for a single player game.

5? try about 3.

3? Try 2. I thought the length was perfect though, for what it is.

The game was great though, loved GlaDOS's personality and the song at the end. The puzzles were a bit too easy I thought. I am going to give the harder ones a try later this week.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I thought length was ok for the "tech demo" for a game it is. Now if they put it into actual use (i.e. Episode 3), then I say bring on the 20 hours and screw the gravity gun, we want portals!

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
honestly, the best way I'd put it is "it didn't overstay it's welcome"

it's was a truly amazing game, perfectly polished, but they would've had to add a much larger story to accommodate it being any longer.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
The game was great and Glados was great. It was hard to get any information about the story since you have no idea about the truth in what Glados says. Seen the website to get some background info on the story?

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
By the time I was done, I felt like I've had enough portal. One of my favorite games ever.

Games dont have to be 20+ hours and $50-60. I'm perfectly fine with paying $20 for a sweet 3-5 hour game.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Dacalo
Originally posted by: pontifex

5? try about 3.

3? Try 2. I thought the length was perfect though, for what it is.

The game was great though, loved GlaDOS's personality and the song at the end. The puzzles were a bit too easy I thought. I am going to give the harder ones a try later this week.

your right it was shorter than 5, I was just being generous and counting some time playing the bonus and challenge puzzles.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: videogames101

it's was a truly amazing game, perfectly polished, but they would've had to add a much larger story to accommodate it being any longer.

This is exactly how I feel. It was short - taking my just under 2.5 hours to finish - but I think if it were any longer I would have started to get bored. It felt of perfect length.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Originally posted by: videogames101

This is exactly how I feel. It was short - taking my just under 2.5 hours to finish - but I think if it were any longer I would have started to get bored. It felt of perfect length.

I agree, if that game went on much longer you'd probably start to get bored of it real quick.

Had portal been 40 bucks, I'd be furious, no multiplayer for a 5 hours game? But since it came with orange box I was immensely pleased with it.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I think they could have made Portal longer, or rather, the portal game play has plenty of growth and more challenging puzzles that could result from it (as seen in the advanced puzzles). But it's shortness doesn't detract from how amazing the game is.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I'm usually all for pushing for longer games, but I think portal is right the way it is. I look at it being one big joke, and if you drag a joke out too long the punchline loses all it's effect and the whole thing ends up seeming bland.

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
if the game was any longer... they would have been unable to end it with something as hilarious and cheesy as that song.

one of the most amazing games i've played in YEARS. probably the last time i remember thinking of a game as this entertaining and groundbreaking was the first half life. glad to see sierra still has it.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: thujone
if the game was any longer... they would have been unable to end it with something as hilarious and cheesy as that song.

one of the most amazing games i've played in YEARS. probably the last time i remember thinking of a game as this entertaining and groundbreaking was the first half life. glad to see sierra still has it.

Sierra? You mean Valve right?

I liked portal, fun game, still to complete two of the harder puzzles.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Soviet
Originally posted by: thujone

Sierra? You mean Valve right?

I liked portal, fun game, still to complete two of the harder puzzles.

Don't look at the video cheats on youtube, you'll feel SO much more accomplished if you pull it off yourself. As you know by now, the game isn't about reaction time and reflexes nearly as much as it is where/when/how to place the portals. Once you see how a puzzle is done by someone else, there's very little fun in doing it yourself. Stick it out!

jmmtn4aj

Aug 13, 2006

I've never played finish a game coming anywhere close to that length of time, meh, different tastes I guess. It wasn't because it took too long, it's because 20 hour games tend to be really drawn out, I get bored after the first hour or so, or after dying a few deaths. Even cheats don't keep me playing. Games like COD 4 though, they can have infinitely more frustrating moments (I don't think any game beats COD on the frustration level, nothing more irritating than having to go through a hundred men with a sniper rifle and a pistol at close range), I can't stop playing. Died? Try again. Died again? Try again. And so on. I came close to ten deaths on the hardest levels trying to find the one or two specific ways that would get me through.

Give me 5 hours of intense game play with real variety, exceptional voice acting and awesome mapping over 20 hours of mildly varying gameplay and lookalike locations any day.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
I know this is a sort of old thread, but I just finished it as well and it was amazing. Especially the song :)