Just finished one of my mid terms

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
I just finished taking my midterm for a web essentials/intro to HTML class. One of the questions said Internet Explorer and Netscape are the 2 most popular web browsers. The answer was true. Shouldn't it be IE and firefox? I understand if he is including netscape in with mozilla, but I consider mozilla and firefox 2 different browsers. Your thoughts?

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

rsd

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2003
The professor likely hasn't done anything new with the Internet since 2000 hence the answer.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I agree with you OP. Firefox != Mozilla != Nutscrape.

Also, Netscape is a company, not a web browser. Netscape Navigator is a web browser.

Edit: It seems they've dropped Navigator from the name of the browser. I stand corrected (by myself). :)

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
well netscape is aol now isnt?

but in your defense i dont know a soul who uses netscape anymore.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Yeah I emailed him about it, I am not really worried about it, I got a 90 as it is, I am happy with a 90. I just couldn't believe that answer. I kinda felt bad emailing him about it, not sure why. I don't want to sound like I am whining, I could care less abotu the extra 2 points or whatever. Guess I just wanted to help out the others who have to take that test.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
31% does seem high, but that is a reputable site. And either way firefox owns netscape.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Those stats are for people who browse THAT website, not the Internet as a whole.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
Those stats are for people who browse THAT website, not the Internet as a whole.

Yeah, if you scroll down this is what they say:

W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use Internet Explorer, since it comes preinstalled with Windows. Most do not seek out other browsers.

These facts indicate that the browser figures below are not 100% realistic. Other web sites have statistics showing that Internet Explorer is used by at least 80% of the users.

Anyway, our data, collected over a five year period, clearly shows the long and medium-term trends.