Just finished No Country for Old Man...

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
So the killer kills main char and his wife. The cop retires. It should have ended there as all ends have been tied.

What was point of dragging the movie with the random car accident, breaking his arm, talking to the kids, etc? Then the credit rolls... WTF? It felt so abrupt as you were led to think something else was up.

Was it a lame attempt at an artsy modern ending or did I miss something? Everyone just sat there like WTF and it took them like 15~ seconds until they started to leave.

tasmanian

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2006
The car accident was to let you know that he got the money and got away. Thats why he gave the kids the 100$ bill.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Also, I think the ending says something about how money corrupts... remember the kids starting fighting over who should get the money.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: tasmanian
The car accident was to let you know that he got the money and got away. Thats why he gave the kids the 100$ bill.

Why is this movie so highly acclaimed again? It was a great drama and had some suspenseful moments but it wasn't something that really grabbed you and hit you with a strong after-impression like... Shawshank, Beautiful Mind or Crash, etc....

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Also, I think the ending says something about how money corrupts... remember the kids starting fighting over who should get the money.

what about the sheriff's dreams in the end? it's just about how his father was makin' fire ahead of him while they were riding horses in the snow.... what's it symbolizing?

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
Originally posted by: E equals MC2

what about the sheriff's dreams in the end? it's just about how his father was makin' fire ahead of him while they were riding horses in the snow.... what's it symbolizing?

His own retirement / death. (His father was also a cop and died on the job, if I remember correctly.)

It seemed like the moral of the story in both this and There Will Be Blood is the old Spaceballs quote, "Evil will always triumph, because Good... is dumb." I also couldn't see why this was so revolutionary.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Even though it would've been cliche, I think the movie would have been better if during the discussion with his crippled uncle, the second time he asked the sherrif why he was retiring, he should have said "Because this is no country for old men." and then credits.

Certainly would've been an improvement. IMO, the only good nominees this year were Michael Clayton and Juno. And yes, I did see all of them.

MasterOfKtulu109

May 16, 2006
juno was very overrated. the dialogue in the first 30 minutes is almost painful. michael clayton, there will be blood, and no country were all great movies. zodiac should have replaced juno in the best picture category, and atonement shouldn't have even been considered (every year there is always a movie that gets a lot of hype that really isn't that great).

i thought the end of no country was perfect. i saw the car crash as a deus ex machina moment, but thats just me.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: MasterOfKtulu109
juno was very overrated. the dialogue in the first 30 minutes is almost painful. michael clayton, there will be blood, and no country were all great movies. zodiac should have replaced juno in the best picture category, and atonement shouldn't have even been considered (every year there is always a movie that gets a lot of hype that really isn't that great).

i thought the end of no country was perfect. i saw the car crash as a deus ex machina moment, but thats just me.

couldn't disagree more... I haven't seen michael clayton yet but out of the others I enjoyed Juno the most

back on topic: yeah I didn't care for the ending either. I didn't mind the car accident, but the whole dream thing seemed way too out of place and ruined the shock I got during the car accident.