Just dropped $262 on a knife. Hope I don't regret it.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
i cant wait to see the next thread, "you wont beleive what my girlfriend used my knife for"

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
Cool knives. I don't mind the prices, but I would want to use the knife first to see if it were a good fit.
Chuckled at the mouse comments. I like my MX518 too.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I don't have experience with this maker, but for the most part this low-volume knifes usually are not so much better than high-volume around the same price point and at times even inferior.
What would constitute high volume at this price point, and what is your justification for this statement?

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
jap-emp-thats-a-knife.jpg

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I have a Chicago cutlery knife set from 5 years ago, cuts anything that I need perfectly fine.

I will bet it cuts it...perfectly fine is subjective and also objective.

I will agree for most people's needs even a crappy dull knife can work adequately.

I tend to use very thin slices for my 'meals' (I put that in quotes because normally I don't need a knife for when I cook for just myself), a dull blade makes this both hard and dangerous.

A sharp knife makes it fast and painless.

caveat: unless cooking drunk. *damn guests making the cook drink!*

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
It behooves you to do a little more research...

Well it looks like they spent a considerable amount of time developing it and it seems to be a finely crafted knife but I don't see where the advantage is over a cheaper one, maybe it keeps an edge better but anyone who uses a knife a lot should know how to sharpen a knife anyway. If this one would cut down my prep time vs using another then maybe it's worth it otherwise, no..

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Well it looks like they spent a considerable amount of time developing it and it seems to be a finely crafted knife but I don't see where the advantage is over a cheaper one, maybe it keeps an edge better but anyone who uses a knife a lot should know how to sharpen a knife anyway. If this one would cut down my prep time vs using another then maybe it's worth it otherwise, no..

If you are cooking large meals (like you have friends that eat with you and/or family), you will find a cheap knife dulls quickly and needs constant attention. Howard is obviously a 'chef' at home so would have a good advantage with a better knife.

I sure hope you have a good New Year's, you seem miserable.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
If you are cooking large meals (like you have friends that eat with you and/or family), you will find a cheap knife dulls quickly and needs constant attention. Howard is obviously a 'chef' at home so would have a good advantage with a better knife.

I sure hope you have a good New Year's, you seem miserable.

No, I'm fine thanks, miserable starts Wednesday afternoon when I have to go back to work for the incompetent management at the co. I work for, managers who make dumb-fuvk-uninformed decisions that suck and expect me (and a few others) to bail them out, the old "my ideas can't suck because their mine!" syndrome, ugh..

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
a lust worthy knife for sure. nice necro. I just purchased a 6.5 in shun utility, hopefully the lady friend like it. I still love my calphalon katana series knife. both are vg-10.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008

this isnt the best "value" op never said it was. its sorta like a high end $600 sli gfx card when you really could have gone with a $300 one or even cheaper

xaeniac

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
Good for you. I hope u enjoy the knife. Hat tori make nice knives. Not everyone is a knife geek

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
i cant wait to see the next thread, "you wont beleive what my girlfriend used my knife for"

I've already been there. I spent close to $2,000 on a Henckels Pro S knife set, only to watch my spouse mess them up and mistreat them.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
this isnt the best "value" op never said it was. its sorta like a high end $600 sli gfx card when you really could have gone with a $300 one or even cheaper

And you can't even chop cucumbers with that video card.

...well, actually, you could...

Millions of transistors and all the other shit to make them work might be a slightly poor comparison to a piece of steel with an edge on it.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I would rather have $262 worth of knife sharpening equipment and make any knife into a good knife :)

I understand having a well-made knife, but its still just a piece of steel.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Someone advise me on this:

I've always told myself I would spend a small fortune on a set of knives once I own a home.

Then I've been living and cooking (my hobby) alone for 7 years. And I ask myself, why do actually NEED to spend $$$ on knives?

I have a $40 mediocre set and it works PERFECTLY fine. I also have a $3 sharpener from Ikea and it keeps them pretty sharp- sharp enough to cut a flap of newspaper.

aspekt-knife-sharpener-black2__8.9.jpg

Yes these sharpeners supposedly 'ruin' the blade. But I've been doing this over many years and had ZERO problems. There is no felt need for me to ever say "I need better knives!" whenever I cooked everything under the sun.

I'm a practical guy. So for you knife enthusiasts, why do I need an expensive set?