Just curious....how is the weather in your neck of the woods?

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
It was 18F(-8C) when i went to work this morning & 18F when i got home tonight. Didn't get much for snow though, only about 3"(7-8cm)

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
the snow has finally stopped but it may start again tomorrow.

possibility of rain/snow mix on Sunday followed by freezing temps and snow on Monday.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Currently 13°F (-11°C), supposed to get around 30 today. Chance of freezing rain overnight & be close to 40 tomorrow with rain. Then the temps drop again, highs in the mid teens & snow for a few days, then high of 32 on Wednesday.

I'm feeling sick already :(

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I think we got about 14-16 cm of snow, didn't measure it. Didn't clean off my car b/4 my guy snowblowed - duh. I picked up takeout last night and it was really slick. Almost got hit by a guy who ran a red light - thank God for ABS! And not so thankful for morons who speed thru lights in bad weather.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
Climate Prediction Center is hinting at a cold break out for the northern half of the US last week of January, first week of February.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
28f bright and sunny today .... roads are mostly dry after yesterdays snow.

Supposed to get a small ice-storm late tonight/early am Sunday. :confused:

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Finally going back into the 70s here. I think we had the longest coldest stretch here in SoCal since I moved out here 7 years ago. It felt like all of December hardly if ever broke 60 while the nighttime lows were dropping into the mid to high 30s. That was cold. There's something about the damp cold that comes off the Pacific that really chills you to your bones, that you don't really feel elsewhere despite temperatures being lower. When I lived in New Mexico for a few years that high altitude 0% humidity 30 degree winter weather felt more manageable.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Some freezing rain this morning, but it's cleared up. Weird winters the past few years. Cloudier than usual with slightly warmer temps, less snow - more rain/freezing rain.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Some freezing rain this morning, but it's cleared up. Weird winters the past few years. Cloudier than usual with slightly warmer temps, less snow - more rain/freezing rain.

Fortunately by the time the rain got to New Haven we were in the low 40's f so not only no ice but it really tamped down the snow.

Reactions: Ajay

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Had some snow squals and cold, then a bit of sun. i didn't bother to deal with the snow since I'll be working from home for next little while so don't need to go out.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Fortunately by the time the rain got to New Haven we were in the low 40's f so not only no ice but it really tamped down the snow.

I think I've only been to New Haven once...in the early 60's my school bussed a bunch of us from Springfield, Mass to some theater to see How the West Was Won.

We actually had sunshine and 50's here today. I was finally able to get my Christmas lights down.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
-Luckily my commute is pretty short and goes against traffic, so not too much for me to complain about there. Bay Area is basically 5 million people's worth of infrastructure trying to service 15 million actual people.

Sort of the case with all major metros, the people moved in faster than the infrastructure was built to accommodate them and it makes life a living nightmare in so many ways. Still have the same 10-15 major attractions, but they're all packed shoulder to shoulder (at least pre-pandemic) now and barely enjoyable thanks to so many people being around. I live in a relatively sleepy "quiet" corner of the area, but the weekenders fucking descend on this place like a plague of locusts Friday through Sunday evening and leave behind mountains of trash and basically make going out to get groceries a two hour proposition on weekends.
It's not just the explosive population growth, America was, and is still, unfortunately obsessed with the car at the expense of public transportation. In general urban planning was built around the car vs mixed use transit.

In some parts of the country mass transit is practically communism. Even in more progressive areas, there was still a top down push for almost total car centric planning, of course partly due to moneyed interests such as big oil and the car companies

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's not just the explosive population growth, America was, and is still, unfortunately obsessed with the car at the expense of public transportation. In general urban planning was built around the car vs mixed use transit.

In some parts of the country mass transit is practically communism. Even in more progressive areas, there was still a top down push for almost total car centric planning, of course partly due to moneyed interests such as big oil and the car companies

Dude...mass transit is for the poors...or the libruls.

Unfortunately, in the bay area, mass transit kind if sucks. You have Cal-Train and BART, the ACE Train is expanding, there's a couple of ferries from the north bay communities, but that's about it. Sure, there are busses, but the last time I worked in SF, they were filthy, filled with crime, and not very dependable. (that's been over 20 years ago, things MAY have improved.)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Dude...mass transit is for the poors...or the libruls.

Unfortunately, in the bay area, mass transit kind if sucks. You have Cal-Train and BART, the ACE Train is expanding, there's a couple of ferries from the north bay communities, but that's about it. Sure, there are busses, but the last time I worked in SF, they were filthy, filled with crime, and not very dependable. (that's been over 20 years ago, things MAY have improved.)
It sucks because it was never planned for properly or was lobbied into inefficiency. In cities all over the country.

It's kind of sad. Cities could be much easier with better robust mass transit. I'm working with a German right now on a side consulting gig, he said in Germany and England, if the train is late, you can get a refund. And people do it. I was like yeah, that doesn't happen here.

Cities grow. Cars take up a lot of space. Something had to give.

Combination of American individualism - I'll always go on my schedule, forget any greater concepts, and greed of established industries.

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Combination of American individualism - I'll always go on my schedule, forget any greater concepts, and greed of established industries.
GM and other ICE centric companies, actively, and with some success, fought against mass transit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

Other than that, as you point out, government policy, in particular in cities, tended to neglect electric based mass transit and instead built extensive road and parking infrastructure. Whatever the actual thinking was, it was a terrible choice. I'm not a big fan of ICE based buses, but as BEV models make it into service, I will be much more of a fan. If the Amtrak connector project to Manchester had ever gone thru, I would have seriously considered commuting down to Boston for the extra dosh.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Supposed to be pretty sunny this week (yay!). A bit cold for daytime highs, but not unusual for this time of year (-12, -10C daytime highs).

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
-28C feels like -37.

I'm working from home this week so at least I don't need to go out in that. These are typical temps at this time of year though. I still prefer that to positives where snow melts and it starts to make a mess, so I'll take it.