Just curious....how is the weather in your neck of the woods?

Page 55 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
It was in the 60sF Saturday but woke up this morning with snow on the ground. It's supposed to be about 40 today & rising to upper 50s by Thursday then back down to 40 again over the weekend.

Got a couple clear night ahead but that comet looks to be too close to the horizon morning & evening to get a good look.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I knew it was seriously windy because my house was actually making some small "creaking" noises which only happens when things get really stormy. (the wood in the beams they used back in the 1890's is extremely strong)

We missed most of the very heavy rain in my immediate area though.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I can't believe my power didn't go out with the winds we had. 20-25mph sustained & gusts up in the 40's mph. Up in Erie i saw 65mph gust was their highest. Presque Isle had to close because of high waves, up to 18 ft. Flooding all along the lake shore.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We've been windy and stormy, but now that I have a generator...no power outages.
We had a hella hail storm last night, but (thankfully) just small hail, not the softball sized stuff some places can get.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
from the NWS:

WHAT...West winds 30 to 50 mph with gusts reaching 60 to 80 mph.
Wind prone areas in and near the foothills may see gusts near 100
mph.

we live in a "wind prone area" gusts fairly regular to 50 or so.

had a short blizzard this morning, put a big log in the sheep house to keep it from flying away, moved all the furniture to the porch and put 4 ground anchors in and strapped the rabbit hutch the to earth. the chicken house should be ok because its all open wire and has ground anchors and cinder blocks holding it down.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
We have more snow now than we got all of last year.

Past few days have been pretty warm though. Like sometimes even above zero. Actually managed to get my solar panels mostly cleared from the last freezing rain crap we had about a month ago.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Finally getting used to the colder weather, although temps are still above average. Back to wearing sweatshirts out and about, though I've have to wear gloves now.
3C today, mix of sun and clouds.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
6C, goong up to 14C tomorrow then drop back down to 4C day after...damn yoyo weather...

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
damage report: neighbors very cool dome greenhouses are gonzo, somewhere in Kansas by now? another lost a good portion of their shingles. power flashing on and off. somehow the ubiquity antenna is holding on! I am very glad we prepped for this. pretty minor stuff so far, but highest wind speeds predicted for this afternoon.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
It's cold, windy and snowing here.

current temp is -4C and windchill is -15C

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
8 straight days of rain anticipated here in the Bay Area, which is welcome to say the least. Winter is definitely chillier than usual too. PG&E has done a pretty good job clearing dead limbs from above power lines, managed to keep the power on for the last couple storms which is a first. Hoping for the same here.

No complaints.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It actually feels a bit warmer than it's been the past several days...and apparently the winter storm warning has been cancelled...for now. We do have weather predictions that include some snow and temps into the low 20's over the next 10 days...(ick)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
8 straight days of rain anticipated here in the Bay Area, which is welcome to say the least. Winter is definitely chillier than usual too. PG&E has done a pretty good job clearing dead limbs from above power lines, managed to keep the power on for the last couple storms which is a first. Hoping for the same here.

No complaints.

what part of the Bay area? I don't miss the cluster-fuck traffic I had to deal with when I commuted in/out of the bay.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
what part of the Bay area? I don't miss the cluster-fuck traffic I had to deal with when I commuted in/out of the bay.

- On the Peninsula. If I lived in East or South Bay and had to deal with the 101 or any of the bridges (its like people aim for other cars on the 92) I'd happily take a half cut to my salary and move out of the area entirely.

I know infrastructure is not going to deal with 8 days of rain particularly well, so I'm gonna try and WFH as much as possible + some PTO.

Once long ago during a particularly serious storm the underpass I chose to drive through to get to work flooded (off El Camino near one of the Cal Train staitons), like REALLY flooded. Luckily I was driving a cheap ass car at the time and literally *forded* the underpass (my car wheels stopped touching the ground, I floated across the small lake that had formed, then accelerated when I gained traction on the other side).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
- On the Peninsula. If I lived in East or South Bay and had to deal with the 101 or any of the bridges (its like people aim for other cars on the 92) I'd happily take a half cut to my salary and move out of the area entirely.

I know infrastructure is not going to deal with 8 days of rain particularly well, so I'm gonna try and WFH as much as possible + some PTO.

Once long ago during a particularly serious storm the underpass I chose to drive through to get to work flooded (off El Camino near one of the Cal Train staitons), like REALLY flooded. Luckily I was driving a cheap ass car at the time and literally *forded* the underpass (my car wheels stopped touching the ground, I floated across the small lake that had formed, then accelerated when I gained traction on the other side).

Peninsula traffic sucks too. I worked everywhere from Petaluma to Monterey over the years...commuting from Modesto. I spent about 2 years on (mostly under) the San Mateo bridge in the late 90's, helped build numerous freeway over- crossing bridges up/down 880 and 680, spent nearly 2 years on (under) the Richmond-San Rafael bridge...worked in the various refineries, at SFO, and, in general, all over the fucking place. Traffic there sucks. Seattle traffic sucks about as bad...on some days...maybe more. I do my best to NOT go over there.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Peninsula traffic sucks too. I worked everywhere from Petaluma to Monterey over the years...commuting from Modesto. I spent about 2 years on (mostly under) the San Mateo bridge in the late 90's, helped build numerous freeway over- crossing bridges up/down 880 and 680, spent nearly 2 years on (under) the Richmond-San Rafael bridge...worked in the various refineries, at SFO, and, in general, all over the fucking place. Traffic there sucks. Seattle traffic sucks about as bad...on some days...maybe more. I do my best to NOT go over there.

-Luckily my commute is pretty short and goes against traffic, so not too much for me to complain about there. Bay Area is basically 5 million people's worth of infrastructure trying to service 15 million actual people.

Sort of the case with all major metros, the people moved in faster than the infrastructure was built to accommodate them and it makes life a living nightmare in so many ways. Still have the same 10-15 major attractions, but they're all packed shoulder to shoulder (at least pre-pandemic) now and barely enjoyable thanks to so many people being around. I live in a relatively sleepy "quiet" corner of the area, but the weekenders fucking descend on this place like a plague of locusts Friday through Sunday evening and leave behind mountains of trash and basically make going out to get groceries a two hour proposition on weekends.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
-Luckily my commute is pretty short and goes against traffic, so not too much for me to complain about there. Bay Area is basically 5 million people's worth of infrastructure trying to service 15 million actual people.

Sort of the case with all major metros, the people moved in faster than the infrastructure was built to accommodate them and it makes life a living nightmare in so many ways. Still have the same 10-15 major attractions, but they're all packed shoulder to shoulder (at least pre-pandemic) now and barely enjoyable thanks to so many people being around. I live in a relatively sleepy "quiet" corner of the area, but the weekenders fucking descend on this place like a plague of locusts Friday through Sunday evening and leave behind mountains of trash and basically make going out to get groceries a two hour proposition on weekends.

Dude...I basically live on the beach. During the warmer weather, this sleepy little town of < 7,000 can grow to over 50,000...We have one road in/out of town...on major holidays like 4th of July, it can take over an hour just to drive up the main road in town to get to the highway.
We do our shopping in advance and stay home.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Dude...I basically live on the beach. During the warmer weather, this sleepy little town of < 7,000 can grow to over 50,000...We have one road in/out of town...on major holidays like 4th of July, it can take over an hour just to drive up the main road in town to get to the highway.
We do our shopping in advance and stay home.

Reminds me of Wasaga Beach. When we went on vacation there it was INSANE traffic/crowd wise. But reality is it's a small place but it gets crazy with all the tourists. I imagine the people who live there probably hate it but at same time that's probably what keeps the town going. If you live off the main drag you basically cannot leave your own driveway, it's just a non stop traffic jam all the way to the beach, all day. We did the mistake of going to Dairy Queen which was like 5km away and it took 3 hours to get there. We could have just walked... lol.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
from the NWS:

we live in a "wind prone area" gusts fairly regular to 50 or so.

had a short blizzard this morning, put a big log in the sheep house to keep it from flying away, moved all the furniture to the porch and put 4 ground anchors in and strapped the rabbit hutch the to earth. the chicken house should be ok because its all open wire and has ground anchors and cinder blocks holding it down.
damage report: neighbors very cool dome greenhouses are gonzo, somewhere in Kansas by now? another lost a good portion of their shingles. power flashing on and off. somehow the ubiquity antenna is holding on! I am very glad we prepped for this. pretty minor stuff so far, but highest wind speeds predicted for this afternoon.

neighbor on the hill just east of us recorded 122 mph before his weather station blew off the pole it was mounted to.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
cold but warming up with some snow coming this afternoon followed by rain on Friday.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Cold and windy in New Haven BUT also bright and sunny with blue sky.

One of those days where it looks beautiful from the window! :D

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
It's snowing like crazy here.

Tomorrow will bring warm air and rain. It will be a mucky mess for Christmas here.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We MIGHT get an inch or two of snow Christmas night and into the next day, but for me, the big worry is the temperatures are supposed to drop to 20F or below... :brr: