Just curious....how is the weather in your neck of the woods?

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Cloudy, grey windy and a bit chilly today with occasional light showers in New Haven today.

So OF COURSE the one wood-frame window in my apartment picks today to literally fall apart! I went to open it to let in a little air and the leaded-glass panel nearly ended up 30 ft down on the front lawn!

Fortunately I was able to remove the screen and take down the frame prior to it completely failing ... turns out the wood was never properly sealed so it swelled up over time and rotted. (I hate half-assed work!)

Had to make a temp-window out of a clear plastic bin lid and a bunch of Gorilla-tape since any "fix" will take a couple days because I need to replace the trashed wood with putty which needs to dry ... going to be in the 30's tonight too... figures!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The PNW got hit with a bomb cyclone of a storm today. We had 20~30 MPH wind where we live down in the trees and nothing big came down, we only lost power for several moments.
The east side was not so lucky, there are thousands without power and two people were killed in Preston by a falling tree.
The picture looked terrible, a 3'+ tree direct hit on the passenger compartment of a compact sedan.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The PNW got hit with a bomb cyclone of a storm today. We had 20~30 MPH wind where we live down in the trees and nothing big came down, we only lost power for several moments.
The east side was not so lucky, there are thousands without power and two people were killed in Preston by a falling tree.
The picture looked terrible, a 3'+ tree direct hit on the passenger compartment of a compact sedan.

Watching the 49er/Colt game in SF and it sounds like its pouring at my computer desk its raining so hard in the background. (I thought it WAS raining outside here!)

Glad you had relatively minor damage!

Reactions: skyking

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
the last time we had a bomb cyclone AKA explosive cyclogenesis was back in January 1978. Categorized as a Severe Blizzard (the highest scale of blizzard) and packing winds of 100 mph. The winds here hit 80 mph. After the storm passed we had loads of snow with huge drifts. It was 2 feet deep in our laneway. It was unreal. I know at least 1 person died here in Ontario from the storm and around 70 died in the states.

We were evacuated from elementary school around 10:00 AM as the storm hit our city, gently at first. By the time I got home it was nasty outside.

Last edited:
Reactions: skyking

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

We got hit pretty hard here today. Power was out for about 5 hours...and at least a couple inches of rain...wind gusts 50-60 mph. (72 mph down at Cape Disappointment)

I saw the story about the little white car that got crushed by the tree. :eek:

3NNUZNK7J5FHVJWHQEPJPQSWHE.png

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Been hovering just above zero lately with some rain and overall wet weather. I actually need to mow my lawn for a last time this year but never get a chance to do it.

Summers go by too fast. Never evne got a chance to troubleshoot my snow blower and now it's too cold. I can't wait to get to a point where my garage is insulated and heated. That will be my main project this winter.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Gahh!!!
Tonight
Rain and snow showers, becoming all snow after 8pm. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 32. West wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Reactions: Iron Woode

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Cool and rainy. Not as cold as it was for a few days. Clear skies dropped the nighttime temps into the upper 30's. :brr:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Didn't amount to much overnight. Car & deck had a little snow on them but the ground wasn't covered at all.

There's slight chances of a bit of snow tonight & tomorrow night then it looks like we get some nice sunny days over the weekend, highs in the mid 50s(F) maybe.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Didn't amount to much overnight. Car & deck had a little snow on them but the ground wasn't covered at all.

There's slight chances of a bit of snow tonight & tomorrow night then it looks like we get some nice sunny days over the weekend, highs in the mid 50s(F) maybe.
just a taste of what is to come.

I am hoping we don't have an unusually cold winter.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I am hoping we don't have an unusually cold winter.
I think i saw on the local news(Erie) on the upcoming winter they were saying it was going to be a bit warmer than normal. You're close enough it might effect you too, if that's what happens. One of the 'Ninas' is going on so that'll effect things one way or the other.