Just curious....how is the weather in your neck of the woods?

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
It is snowing hard here with about 2-3 inches right now (around mid night central time) but it is like slushy ice and not sticky onto the ground yet because the ground is still warm. Will see how much it will be tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Raining this morning With "Areal flood watch," "Coastal flood watch," and Regional landslide warning" from the NWS.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Fog was THICK driving in today. Could barely see 20' past my hood. It's about 41F here. IDK what the high is supposed to be but I really hope this fog burns off before I have to drive home tonight.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Fog was THICK driving in today. Could barely see 20' past my hood. It's about 41F here. IDK what the high is supposed to be but I really hope this fog burns off before I have to drive home tonight.

Two of our grandkids live in the Merced/Atwater area. I get notifications from Accuweather when they're expecting "extreme" weather. I've been getting a LOT od "dense fog advisories" this year. We lived in the Modesto area for 25 years, so it's really not unusual to get fog so thick you can't see the end of your hood. I used to commute into the Bay Area every day in that shit.

Reactions: thestrangebrew1

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Two of our grandkids live in the Merced/Atwater area. I get notifications from Accuweather when they're expecting "extreme" weather. I've been getting a LOT od "dense fog advisories" this year. We lived in the Modesto area for 25 years, so it's really not unusual to get fog so thick you can't see the end of your hood. I used to commute into the Bay Area every day in that shit.

Yea we've been getting a lot of advisories but this morning was probably the worst. I drive in from Hwy 59 into Merced. Definitely the worst commute in this morning fogwise. There's no way I'd commute into the Bay.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yea we've been getting a lot of advisories but this morning was probably the worst. I drive in from Hwy 59 into Merced. Definitely the worst commute in this morning fogwise. There's no way I'd commute into the Bay.

I had to drive into Pittsburg every day for almost a year. The fog, as bad as it is in the valley...can be MUCH worse in the delta.

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
cold and windy today. It's -10C with a windchill of -15C.

We are under a snowsquall warning with amounts up to 20cm.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
-20 with windchill of -30.

Guess everyone wants their Tim's today. Tim Horton lineup was ridiculous today, so I was going to go inside but there was someone standing outside and said it's limit of 1 person inside. I said FTS so I went to the Tim's down the road which had less bad of a lineup.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
-20 with windchill of -30.

Guess everyone wants their Tim's today. Tim Horton lineup was ridiculous today, so I was going to go inside but there was someone standing outside and said it's limit of 1 person inside. I said FTS so I went to the Tim's down the road which had less bad of a lineup.
or you could have made coffee at home and avoid Tims all together. Plus with the lockdown you are better off just staying put.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
or you could have made coffee at home and avoid Tims all together. Plus with the lockdown you are better off just staying put.

I'm at the office, keurig coffee is kinda meh, already had 2 cups so wanted to get out for my break. Basically the only opportunity to see daylight is break and lunch.

I sometimes do bring my own coffee from home though but forgot to set the coffee machine last night.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I'm at the office, keurig coffee is kinda meh, already had 2 cups so wanted to get out for my break. Basically the only opportunity to see daylight is break and lunch.

I sometimes do bring my own coffee from home though but forgot to set the coffee machine last night.
I see. I thought you were off work like me.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
It was so warm a day or two ago, enough just to wear a shirt and no jacket/hoodie but it is getting colder now, especially at night.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
We were only supposed to get 1-2in overnight but i see they upped it to 3-5 now & maybe another couple inches tomorrow. Nothing too serious. It is the coldest stretch we've had so far though, lows in the mid teens & twenties in the day for a few days now. Doesn't look like that's going to last though.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
We were only supposed to get 1-2in overnight but i see they upped it to 3-5 now & maybe another couple inches tomorrow. Nothing too serious. It is the coldest stretch we've had so far though, lows in the mid teens & twenties in the day for a few days now. Doesn't look like that's going to last though.
we picked up over 5 inches here and it's still snowing.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
we have a storm heading our way that should get here Thursday evening. The weekend brings lake effect snowsqualls here.

The big issue will be a polar vortex arriving Saturday bringing minus double digit temps as highs. I have gotten more sensitive to cold since my surgery. :(

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
we have a storm heading our way that should get here Thursday evening. The weekend brings lake effect snowsqualls here.

The big issue will be a polar vortex arriving Saturday bringing minus double digit temps as highs. I have gotten more sensitive to cold since my surgery. :(

Natural Gas is cheap, crank up the furnace.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
The storm arrived around 9:00PM. It is snowing pretty hard now and very windy.

Tomorrow a cold front moves in giving us a high temp of -8C with more blowing snow and snowsqualls.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Yeah, i can hear the wind blowing but it's not too bad yet & they're only calling for a few inches of snow overnight here.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
It will be cold in the next few days. The highs will be in the 30's, not lows but highs. Bundle up.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
A little cold here too. -18, -24 with windchill. Was -30 earlier. One of my friends that's always bugging me to go snowshoeing still wanted to go despite the cold and I told him I'd pass. I feel like a party pooper but I'm not a fan of freezing my toes, hands and face. No amount of dressing up helps for those when it's that cold. Suppose to get colder too. January and February is indoor activity months for me. :p

Extreme Cold Warning
Issued at 10:19 Wednesday 10 February 2021

A period of very cold wind chills is expected.

Extreme wind chill values near minus 40 are expected tonight into Thursday morning.

The extreme cold may continue into the weekend with wind chill values approaching minus 40 each night.

###

Extreme cold puts everyone at risk.

Watch for cold related symptoms: shortness of breath, chest pain, muscle pain and weakness, numbness and colour change in fingers and toes.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ONstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #ONStorm.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yeah, i can hear the wind blowing but it's not too bad yet & they're only calling for a few inches of snow overnight here.
It will be cold in the next few days. The highs will be in the 30's, not lows but highs. Bundle up.

Those pretty much describe current and forecast conditions here. Actual measurable snow is...well...not "rare, " but unusual...and we're supposed to get some of the nasty stuff...tonight and possibly through the weekend. We got around 4" of snow 2 years ago...folks said itwas the most snow we had gotten in 20 uears.

aan.sized.jpg