Just curious....how is the weather in your neck of the woods?

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
fairly cool here. Night time is definitely cold since we are hitting single digits.

Thanksgiving is less than a month away!

:)

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Every time I step outside, it's like putting my head in a smoker. The current AQI where I live is 329. Solidly in the "hazardous" category. Hopefully with some showers coming in we can get down to "very unhealthy" or even "unhealthy". Fingers crossed.

Reactions: vi edit

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah that's got to suck when the air outside is that bad. It will be like this globally if humanity does not stop polluting so much. It's a taste of what the future could be like.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Holy crap you're right. Then Halloween, then Christmas.

Years go by so fast these days.

If feels like it was just Christmas not that long ago.

Yer calendar is broken...Halloween first, then Thanksgiving on the 4th Thursday in November...then Christmas about a month later.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
We finally had some decent weather in NW Burbs of Chicago, but, the heat is being turned up again and might be cowering by the AC vent for a few days this week...

wish it would always be between like 10 and 70F ... never colder or hotter.

Nov 20, 2009
Its been hitting 70F in Atlanta almost every day this week. I'm waiting come December 20th for it to enter 4th summer.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't even know what's going on anymore. One day it's snowing normally, the other day it's raining, the next it's cold, the next it's hot. It's all over the place. We hardly even have snow on the ground and it's almost December. And the snow we do get is that weird crusty stuff that sticks to everything, even vertical surfaces. It's pretty terrible stuff. We don't seem to really get the normal fluffy snow anymore.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I don't even know what's going on anymore. One day it's snowing normally, the other day it's raining, the next it's cold, the next it's hot. It's all over the place. We hardly even have snow on the ground and it's almost December. And the snow we do get is that weird crusty stuff that sticks to everything, even vertical surfaces. It's pretty terrible stuff. We don't seem to really get the normal fluffy snow anymore.
that sounds like snow with a fairly high moisture content.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
that sounds like snow with a fairly high moisture content.

That's probably what it is, it's almost like half ice half snow, and just creates a crust on everything. It's a pain in the ass either way as it's so hard to take it off the windshield etc. I gave up with my solar panels.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Kinda warm this year. It is almost Thanksgiving and so far, I haven't need a jacket/coat at all.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
That's probably what it is, it's almost like half ice half snow, and just creates a crust on everything. It's a pain in the ass either way as it's so hard to take it off the windshield etc. I gave up with my solar panels.

Just reverse the switch for the solar panels. Make them generate heat instead... :p

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just reverse the switch for the solar panels. Make them generate heat instead... :p
I thought of that but it's a pain to set that up right. Need to remove the reverse polarity diodes in the panels and require some heavy duty relays to disconnect from charge controller and to a properly regulated voltage source. I may do a separate heat system using wire though, that way as the snow melts they can start to produce a bit of power. I need to redesign the whole mounting system too, and make them more vertical. 30 degrees is super not optimal. I just went with that because it was easier to mount them flush with roof.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
There's a sprinkle of snow on the deck this morning. Rained most of the day yesterday. Looks like a a mix of cloudy days, some rain, some snow chances the rest of the week. Highs anywhere from mid 30's to 50F

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I was driving around with the top down yesterday with my wife. It was around 70 degrees here and sunny.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Having a bit of a mini blizzard, nothing crazy though, like maybe 1cm of snow just being blown around. I don't see much school activity outside, I think they actually cancelled the buses lmao. They make snow days out of anything now days it seems. I remember waiting for the bus in much worse weather as a kid. Though, we did get lot of snow days too back then, but at least they were semi warranted. I mean, somewhat. Some were still questionable, not that we complained. :p