Just curious....how is the weather in your neck of the woods?

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I so wanted to see the destructive power of a tornado on a old house or something from a distance, i hear its quite the ride. I had one though nearly touch down, all i could remember was all the near by trees swirling in circles. That was intense, big pieces of branches and stuff landed all over the neighborhood but it never touched down. Oddly was VERY quiet.

A prior relationship had me in Arkansas for 6 years, i never got to see a tornado. The gf turned wife got stuck in a few with her cousin though, but i managed to dodge every single one. I kinda miss it out there,especially the southern part. The Northwest part was Walmart land with a museum. Weather wasn't as exciting up there either lol.

Curious about where you're at to have 2 touch down, dayum.
We get severe thunderstorms often and sometimes tornadoes show up.

I am in London, Ontario Canada. It's sort of in between Lake Erie and Lake Huron.

Back in 1979 in Woodstock, Ontario the worst tornado disaster happened in Southern Ontario. It was an F4 that did considerable destruction and it nearly killed an exGF of mine. She told me about it.

• Wow
Reactions: mopardude87

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
10C and raining here, the wind seems to have died down now. Suppose to go down to 1 tonight.

Meanwhile in Pickle Lake. :eek:

AR2b1hs.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: snoopy7548

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I so wanted to see the destructive power of a tornado on a old house or something from a distance, i hear its quite the ride.
Watch them on YouTube, that's as close as you want to get.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_United_States–Canada_tornado_outbreak
Tornadoes in PA were North & South of where i was at but fairly close. The damage was terrible. Couple weeks later i was at my parents house when a warning came over the radio/TV. We headed to the basement & one touched down about a half mile away, missed the neighbors house & headed thru the woods. My sister was just arriving at her house & it lifted over their house, causing no damage.
Either the the same one or a different one caused more damage later to several houses & barns. I don't think anyone was killed in that one.

@Iron Woode
Glad you're safe :)
Storm wasn't horrible when it came thru last night, at my place anyway. Brief power outage & some downed limbs this morning.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Watch them on YouTube, that's as close as you want to get.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_United_States–Canada_tornado_outbreak
Tornadoes in PA were North & South of where i was at but fairly close. The damage was terrible. Couple weeks later i was at my parents house when a warning came over the radio/TV. We headed to the basement & one touched down about a half mile away, missed the neighbors house & headed thru the woods. My sister was just arriving at her house & it lifted over their house, causing no damage.
Either the the same one or a different one caused more damage later to several houses & barns. I don't think anyone was killed in that one.

@Iron Woode
Glad you're safe :)
Storm wasn't horrible when it came thru last night, at my place anyway. Brief power outage & some downed limbs this morning.
Thanks! :)

We got hit pretty hard here last night as that radar capture image I posted shows. It rained like crazy but not a lot of lightning. The wind was nuts, too. We had trees down and power failures. Things could have been much worse.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Warmed up a little.

11C feels like 8.

We have a frost advisory right now lol, going to drop below zero tonight. I JUST de-winterised the garden hose too, going to have to winterize it again. In June.

As far as I'm concerned it's summer and I'm not getting back into jeans. :p I can at least pretend it's summer.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Put together some of the video I took the other day. Clouds are kinda cool, they were moving pretty fast. (it's obviously sped up further in time lapse)

Nothing as crazy as what downsouth got though but the clouds looked kind of cool how they were transforming and at one point there's two layers.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Looking like another great day! Highs around 18C. Starts getting hotter on Tuesday.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Going to be low-70s today (that's Freedom units) with <40% humidity. Going to be an open-all-the-windows kind of day. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
21C now and suppose to get much hotter today, even got a heat warning in effect.

Heat Warning
Issued at 05:38 Wednesday 17 June 2020

Extreme heat is expected for today through to Friday.

A hot airmass is bringing temperatures near or above 30 with overnight lows near 18 degrees for the next few days.

A cooler airmass will move in on Saturday.

###

The risks are greater for young children, pregnant women, older adults, people with chronic illnesses and people working or exercising outdoors.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Looks like the first half of the month was "Juneuary". Most days struggled to get above 60, lots of rain. Now we are swinging into July. Sun and mid 80's.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Looks like the first half of the month was "Juneuary". Most days struggled to get above 60, lots of rain. Now we are swinging into July. Sun and mid 80's.

We MIGHT hit 70 here by Friday...then back to cool, gray, and rainy.

Nov 17, 2019
Some of the better weather over recent days that I can remember. Upper 70s to mid 80s with low dewpoints, lots of Sun, gentle breeze. Night time lows around 60.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
30c = 85-86f? That's a bit warmer than I like, but hardly qualifies as "extreme heat."

Well...maybe for you...might melt your igloos.

It is quite extreme, hits like a wall minute you go out, and simply lifting a finger is enough to get all sweaty and feeling nasty. Would not want to be the guys just outside the office now laying asphalt. :eek: Must be a miserable time. It just hit 32 now with a "feels like" of 36. I don't know how people down south manage to live in that mostly year round tbh. I don't mind it once in a while, it's a break from our long winters, so can't complain, but it's definitly not weather I want to be working outside in.

Nov 17, 2019
85 ain't squat. Our 'cool' Summer days are 85. Generally we see 95 quite often and 100 at least once or twice most summers. We've already had 5 days of 90 or more this month.

Pull that silly rag off your face and the heat won't seem so bad.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You must be one of those people that think +15 is cold. :p

Ironicly I have not worn a mask at all in this whole pandemic I just avoid places with lot of people. +30 is hot no matter what you're wearing even if it's nothing. Great weather to be at the lake and spend it in the water though.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Here in the Northeast, we typically get 90+ days during the summer. This weekend it will hit 90.

25 years in NorCal where we usual had at least 60 days per year of 100f or more...I've had all the HOT weather I ever want.
The only good thing about it was that ot was dry low humidity heat...so it was tolerable.