Just curious....how is the weather in your neck of the woods?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 17, 2019
3 feet is horrible, we had 3 feet of normal snow about 5 years ago which set a record for snowfall in my area.
That's a lot more than inconvenient. Buildings collapse under that.

I rarely get more than a few inches all Winter. Haven't had any at all this year other than manybe an inch in early November. But snow load is on my mind while building a shed as we have gotten a foot at a time in a couple of years out of the last 20 that I've been in this house. I'm not a carpenter, but I pound nails. I hope the mass of nails and wood I'm calling a shed can handle more than a six inch snowfall.

Nov 17, 2019
I woke up this morning to a large, VERY bright light shining through my bedroom window.
Well...thar large bright light didn't last very long...
I've cursed that blasted thing more times than I can count lately. Working on this shed, I look up to set a ladder or take some kind of measurement or any other reason ... there it is, blinding me. I put a skylight in the roof of the shed to let light in. It does, blinding me. Look up to trim a tree branch .... yep, blinded. Driving down the road .... you guessed it. It finds a way through even the smallest crack in a miniblind for the sole purpose of blinding me even inside the house.

Just a few scattered clouds to obscure it a bit, OK?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's a lot more than inconvenient. Buildings collapse under that.

Properly designed buildings shouldn't. The ones that do were poorly built. Had over 6 feet on my roof last year. I was getting a bit worried though because in spring when it starts to melt it gets way heavier so I did go out to shovel some of it, but was probably not needed. House was built in 1965, this was not it's first rodeo at a real winter. What we got last year was more in line with what winters used to be like snow wise. Now there's probably not even 3 feet. We didn't get much snow this year.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Aaaaaand...Old man Winter raises his ugly head in a last dying gasp....it's fucking snowing here this morning. Shouldn't amount to any measurable snowfall...just a few snowflakes in the air, but still.....

• Haha
Reactions: snoopy7548

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Aaaaaand...Old man Winter raises his ugly head in a last dying gasp....it's fucking snowing here this morning. Shouldn't amount to any measurable snowfall...just a few snowflakes in the air, but still.....

Just swapped my winter tires for all-seasons. I hope it doesn't snow now after a winter of barely anything.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Weather's been messed up here. Feels kinda like fall, was raining the other day. Roads are horrible, all slushy and crap.

Then yesterday we got some kind of weird wind/blizzard type storm. Don't know from one day to the next what's going on.

Hate this time of year because of it. March, April, and May. That whole stretch. Once the sidewalks start to melt it will be full of dog crap everywhere too.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Mid-40s here and for once I had nothing to do on a Saturday morning so I went for a 3.5 mile jog for the first time this year. Felt good to get out.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
was chilly for the last few days. We are supposed to warm up a bit and then do the temp roller-coaster during the week.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
on Friday we went from 17C to -2C in 6 hours with crazy winds.

We are now sitting at -5C with random flakes of snow.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
on Friday we went from 17C to -2C in 6 hours with crazy winds.

We are now sitting at -5C with random flakes of snow.
Pretty much the same here though the winds weren't as bad as i was expecting yesterday, but i'm inland from the lake.
No snow but everything was frosted over this morning. Going to be cold tonight, mid teens(F)

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Pretty much the same here though the winds weren't as bad as i was expecting yesterday, but i'm inland from the lake.
No snow but everything was frosted over this morning. Going to be cold tonight, mid teens(F)
the fun of spring in the Great Lakes region.

At least maple syrup season is doing fine. ;)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Got a lot of snow here too, it was a really weird snow too, it was almost like spray foam. Very hard to get off the vehicle. I had to let it run for a while so I can at least get the windows clear so I can move it to do the driveway. Not sure what I'm going to do about the rest, it's not really in a safe driving condition right now. I think I'll wait it out and hope the sun melts it. It's been warm lately.

Makes things look pretty though, so there's that.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Got a lot of snow here too, it was a really weird snow too, it was almost like spray foam. Very hard to get off the vehicle. I had to let it run for a while so I can at least get the windows clear so I can move it to do the driveway. Not sure what I'm going to do about the rest, it's not really in a safe driving condition right now. I think I'll wait it out and hope the sun melts it. It's been warm lately.

Makes things look pretty though, so there's that.

I hate that kind of snow.

We were getting random flakes last night combined with some serious wind. That just made it feel even colder out.

sitting at -1C right now with clear skies.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Cloudy and raining slowly for days and the river is swollen to the brink. Dark and wet and depressing.

Nov 20, 2009
Hit 80F yesterday and 79F the last day of Winter. Everything is covered in pollen right now. I started running the AC yesterday because the wife, who is now working from home, was getting hot.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
No snow here...(thank crom) but rain in the forecast for the next week or so. Typical PNW coast weather.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
No snow here...(thank crom) but rain in the forecast for the next week or so. Typical PNW coast weather.

We are getting snow but at least along the coast it might as well be rain since its melting on contact with the ground.

Supposed to change to all rain later today but overall just miserable.