Just curious, do any of you still get excited about Black Friday?

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
I just don't seem to care about it anymore and don't get excited. I don't even look at the ads.

What are your thoughts on Black Friday?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I never did care much, but I'd look through the online ads to see if there was any interesting tech deals. Now, I don't even care enough to do that.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I just don't seem to care about it anymore and don't get excited. I don't even look at the ads.

used to get excited about leaked bf ads.
like u, don't look at them anymore.
I just goto sd and look at the editors top10 picks.
I don't even drill down into the categories and look at the top5 picks of each category.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Black Friday was cool before it was a "thing" and became a spectacle. Now it's just the big box stores trying to out do eachother with their $200 75" HDR TV's that they have 2 of yet people will spend all day in line on Thanksgiving day just to get one, making employees work retail on Thanksgiving.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
I usually pickup a few parts to upgrade my rigs, so I like it. I have no expectations, sometimes great, other times not.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Interest has waned. Retailers have diluted it. They start the deals the week before, or extend them a week after Black Friday. Plus Amazon has Black Friday-esque deals in July as Prime Day.

I only look for stuff on my Wish List - stuff I know what price it usually sells for, and was already planning to buy eventually.
Though I might impulsively pick up a music album, book, or faux fur blanket. Last holiday season I spent $250 on Christmas music. Pretty extravagant for me.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Several years ago, BF was pretty incredible. Now everyone is slick dealing, so it's become pretty meaningless. You can get these type of deals every day now.

But now that BF is a national phenomenon, there are some boutique shops that will join the bandwagon and have their only sale of the year that day. Those are the ones I'm waiting for.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I get aggravated because of it.
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout is released on black Friday. So, if I want to get some, I have to go shopping on Friday or Saturday that weekend ... a weekend I would prefer to say FAR AWAY from all forms of stores.

I wish they would brew more of it more often so it would be on the shelf yearround rather then a special once a year brew.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I get aggravated because of it.
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout is released on black Friday. So, if I want to get some, I have to go shopping on Friday or Saturday that weekend ... a weekend I would prefer to say FAR AWAY from all forms of stores.

I wish they would brew more of it more often so it would be on the shelf yearround rather then a special once a year brew.
Pay up front, and have them hold it for you. Pickup at your leisure.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Pay up front, and have them hold it for you. Pickup at your leisure.
I imagine some stores will do that, but usually most stores are "first come first serve" when it comes to limmited access brews.

At least I dont have to drive to the brewery to buy it like to get KBS or Dark Lord ...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I never did. And for the past few years it fills me with a sense of dread. Knowing you can get killed just for shopping is kinda scary.
Usually we stock up on supplies and treat the house like a bunker for that weekend. People are too hostile and angry most of the year. On black friday they get overzealous and fatal.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Not really. I sometimes check out online deals, but I'm not desperate enough to actually go to a physical store. It's not as bad here in Canada than in the states though, I don't think anyone has actually gotten killed here on that day.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Love Black Friday:
Microwave (still have it)
HDTV (still have it)
PC Monitor (still have it)
PC parts (every year thing)
Media streamers (still have them)
Tools (still have them)
Paint (saved 70% off) (top quality)
Laptop (still have it) (getting kinda old but still works)
Cooking Ware (still have them)
Flashlights (so damn bright)
Clothes (outgrown some now)

What ever deals are available this year I'll look at but I have a few categories that need to be filled so I waited til BF.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
One thing I might actually buy this year is a 4k monitor. Been wanting one for a while so I can ditch triple monitors and the issues that come with that (dialogs and windows opening wherever they want and being super annoying etc) and just go with a single 4k, which is equivalent to 4 monitors.

We got 3 at work as we badly needed more pixel real estate and now I want one at home. :p But think I will go with like 32 inch so that is much more expensive. Like about a grand, so hopefully I run into some BF deals for those.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
But think I will go with like 32 inch so that is much more expensive. Like about a grand, so hopefully I run into some BF deals for those.
Where do you shop? I got some Avera brand 40" 4K UHD HDTVs last year for ~$210 ea. on average. Newegg has the 2017 version now for $279.99. Figure that will go down to $200 on BF, or some unknown date in Nov., as Newegg has "Black Friday" sales throughout the month now.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Yes and no.

No, because I already have pretty much everything I want. That sounds like a #firstworldproblem, but I'm just not a high-maintenance person. I have some cool kitchen appliances, a nice VR rig, recently got a Nintendo Switch...I feel pretty blessed as-is.

But yes, just for the little deals IRL & for the spectacle. I usually get some winter gloves & misc. stuff like LED flashlights at places like Home Depot or Ocean State. The spectacle is great. We usually go to Kohl's to get their crazy-soft blankets for ten bucks & then giggle as people get ripped off from the so-called deals. I don't mean that in a mean way, but I think it was last year that people were literally LINED UP for 40" LED TV's "on sale"...I tried explaining to two people in line that the normal retail price was like $60 less & they could just order it online or buzz over to Best Buy, and went as far as showing them the prices on my phone, but they were completely convinced that they were getting a "good deal", so more power to them :D

I do feel like it's over-hyped & there aren't really any insanely good deals to be had anymore though. It's like Halloween...Halloween is a candy holiday, that's all. I think partly because things are getting so cheap these days...laptops are $299, 50" televisions are $299, etc.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I'm more of a meatless Monday or Tuesday taco kinda guy,

Speaking of which, we are gonna need a taco thread in here soon. I just got my 25-pound sack of corn for homemade nixmatelized tortillas.