Question Just critique this build or give me comments. It is for a friend.

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008

Hi guys, I just want you to critique this build for me. It is for one of my friends. He wants a mid range pc that will last him long years. He wants it for his kids who are all less than 12 years old. It is a general purpose pc but he also wants them to game on it a little. I think this build can easily live more than 7 years, and he can upgrade the video card later on if he wants more gaming performance.

What do you think? I did it very quickly without too much thinking. I'm not sure about the video card. They are still expensive everywhere>

Any mistakes I did?

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Ryzen 5800X is my choice at that price point. I see them BNIB for under $400, no tax, priority shipping, right now. Also, with such a long lifespan expected of the system, that AIO is a critical point of failure. A good air cooler is a much better choice.

And you can get a GTX 1650 for around the same price as the 1050ti. The1050ti is 5yr old tech now. The1650 is newer and better in every way.

I would ditch the 8TB HDD too. If they are doing a little gaming/light gaming, it is massive overkill. Also no point in trying to futureproof storage by buying a big HDD now. A bigger and faster game folder drive later, is a super easy upgrade. I'd spend that $200 on a 2TB NVME. And given how demanding games are becoming about streaming assets, the extra speed is a better bet.

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
Ryzen 5800X is my choice at that price point. I see them BNIB for under $400, no tax, priority shipping, right now. Also, with such a long lifespan expected of the system, that AIO is a critical point of failure. A good air cooler is a much better choice.

And you can get a GTX 1650 for around the same price as the 1050ti. The1050ti is 5yr old tech now. The1650 is newer and better in every way.

I would ditch the 8TB HDD too. If they are doing a little gaming/light gaming, it is massive overkill. Also no point in trying to futureproof storage by buying a big HDD now. A bigger and faster game folder drive later, is a super easy upgrade. I'd spend that $200 on a 2TB NVME. And given how demanding games are becoming about streaming assets, the extra speed is a better bet.

I was thinking about the 5800X first but pcpartpicker gave some compatibility issues. The 11700K is still good.

So do AIO coolers go bad? I didn't know that. I remember using one that lasted very long. I can switch to the Noctua D15. It is the best air cooler. Regarding storage, there is already a samsung 980 Pro in there. I can probably make it 512 GB and get a lower capacity HDD. I was influenced by my own needs I guess.

The 1650 is good but expensive though, he is not into heavy gaming. I'll ask him.

Thanks.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Regarding storage, there is already a samsung 980 Pro in there. I can probably make it 512 GB and get a lower capacity HDD. I was influenced by my own needs I guess.
What you probably want to do is go bigger on the NVME drive and remove the spinning drive altogether. 2TB of storage is plenty for most people, and if later down the line they decide they need more storage adding a SSD or huge spinning drive is a 5 minute upgrade, and one that will certainly be cheaper to do the longer they wait. Basically if you don't need 8TB of storage right now, why pay a premium for it right now when it will be cheaper to do later when you need it.

Considering that I would recommend upgrading the Samsun 980 Pro to a medium range NVME drive in the 2TB range, and ditch the 8TB spinning drive altogether. That will be cheaper then the two drives and probably fit their use case better, as the NVME drive will be much faster then the spinning drive and that will improve the overall experience, especially in games.
Then in a year or two if they need more space recommend that they get a good USB3 drive in the 10TB range, it will be pretty much just as fast as the 8TB spinning drive and by the time they need to buy one it will be cheaper.

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
What you probably want to do is go bigger on the NVME drive and remove the spinning drive altogether. 2TB of storage is plenty for most people, and if later down the line they decide they need more storage adding a SSD or huge spinning drive is a 5 minute upgrade, and one that will certainly be cheaper to do the longer they wait. Basically if you don't need 8TB of storage right now, why pay a premium for it right now when it will be cheaper to do later when you need it.

Considering that I would recommend upgrading the Samsun 980 Pro to a medium range NVME drive in the 2TB range, and ditch the 8TB spinning drive altogether. That will be cheaper then the two drives and probably fit their use case better, as the NVME drive will be much faster then the spinning drive and that will improve the overall experience, especially in games.
Then in a year or two if they need more space recommend that they get a good USB3 drive in the 10TB range, it will be pretty much just as fast as the 8TB spinning drive and by the time they need to buy one it will be cheaper.
Not a bad idea but it is no biggie. Thanks anyway

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
Going back to the AIO cooler, it is not like if it goes bad the cpu will get smoked. It should throttle or do whatever it should to prevent the cpu from being damaged, right? I'm still thinking whether I should switch to to Noctua.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Going back to the AIO cooler, it is not like if it goes bad the cpu will get smoked. It should throttle or do whatever it should to prevent the cpu from being damaged, right? I'm still thinking whether I should switch to to Noctua.

AIO coolers have a limited lifespan because eventually the liquid evaporates, or the pump stops working, or worst case scenario they leak (That is actually quite rare). The main thing about them is that if something goes wrong it stops working altogether, unlike an air cooler which will still passively cool, and there is basically no fixing them. If something goes wrong you have to replace the entire loop. The AIO does almost nothing to cool if it is not pumping, It won't fry the CPU, but the system might shut down due to thermal protection.

Having said all that, unless you get really unlucky an AIO coolers is probably going to last about 5 years before it needs replacing. So, I wouldn't worry about it.

The main thing I would say about a AIO is that unless you are overclocking, or want it for the looks, it is completely unnecessary. Modern CPU's running at stock speeds can be cooled on air just fine, and AIO's are considerably more expensive then an air cooler. The cheapest AIO's start at about $80US, and you can get a really good air cooler for half that.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
A decent air cooler will last a long time. A noctua 12S or 14S would be a great choice.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've got an original-model CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 240mm AIO LC on my Ryzen R5 3600, I've had it for maybe 3 years (the LC), plan to maybe swap it out at 5-6 years, just to be on the safe side.

I can't imagine running this thing on air, though. With hotspots, the temps get pretty toasty on Zen2/Zen3 with default boost settings. (CPB, possibly PBO).

I do DC (rarely these days) and mining (sometimes on the CPU), and the AIO 240mm helps keep everything really cool.

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I've got an original-model CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 240mm AIO LC on my Ryzen R5 3600, I've had it for maybe 3 years (the LC), plan to maybe swap it out at 5-6 years, just to be on the safe side.

I can't imagine running this thing on air, though. With hotspots, the temps get pretty toasty on Zen2/Zen3 with default boost settings. (CPB, possibly PBO).

I do DC (rarely these days) and mining (sometimes on the CPU), and the AIO 240mm helps keep everything really cool.
This is my Ryzen 5 3600 setup that has been running cool for over 2 years now. Max load temps don't exceed 75C in summer.

1633647951143.jpeg

Reactions: DAPUNISHER
Feb 4, 2009
While I love my AIO in this machine I would go air cooling.
Also is an 8GB spinning drive needed?
Ryzen processors will probably age better but this is a minor point
Finally I assume you know a 1050 won’t last for 7 years of gaming.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Finally I assume you know a 1050 won’t last for 7 years of gaming.
A GTX 1050 ti 4GB, is practically comparable to a GT 1030 2GB GDDR5, for today's AAA games. It's almost in the same category.

In fact, the GTX 1050 ti 4GB wasn't even a 1080P/60FPS gaming card when it was released. (E-sports, sure, but AAA, nope.)

With all that you're spending on the rest of the part, at least spring for a GTX 1660 Super, for gosh sake.

Feb 4, 2009
A GTX 1050 ti 4GB, is practically comparable to a GT 1030 2GB GDDR5, for today's AAA games. It's almost in the same category.

In fact, the GTX 1050 ti 4GB wasn't even a 1080P/60FPS gaming card when it was released. (E-sports, sure, but AAA, nope.)

With all that you're spending on the rest of the part, at least spring for a GTX 1660 Super, for gosh sake.

You just can’t find them anywhere. However I agree. I was speaking about a 1050 being a stop gap measure for now and grab the first good gpu you can.