Just completed a 3-day juice-fast!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
When you sit on the crapper, you aren't really purging your system of waste products so much as jettisoning the undigested leftovers. Your bodies waste disposal system involves the liver and kidneys. If you want to to purge your system of toxins, drink some water.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Definitely not convinced and I have done a lot of research. Notice that most of the sites are run by hippies trying to sell their oils and clay. To the OP, I am sure one could find as much evidence that refutes your claims than you have that supports it.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: DLeRium

See, it kinda depends how offten you sh!t and what kinda sh!t it is.

I used to sh!t once a day after high school. My parents are nutrition freaks, and I would have at least 2 fruits a day in addition to a buttload of multivitamins and definitely a filling 3 meals a day.

The sh!t was easy. I don't get how some people take 20 min to do it, but it would all come out within 3 minutes. It would come out as a long big piece of crap, but a huge piece of crap, and right after that ginormous piece comes out, you already feel felieved. Maybe one or two small pieces come out, but yea bottom line is that you have that ginormous piece of crap that comes out.

Dude....

mindmaniac

Dec 30, 2003
Your so gullible. And industry website saying you need their product. Any person with a day of science knowledge would tear this apart. Just check out quackwatch.orgquackwatch.org :confused:

cleanerupper

Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: mribnik1
Originally posted by: BudAshes
dude shitting 3 times a day isnt healthy.

Could you enlighten me why not? What's not healthy is shitting once a day or sometimes not at all. Most Americans have 8 meals backed up in their colon. I've already done the research so I know it's healthy.

I just typed in google "bowel movements per day" and this is the first site that came up.
http://www.bytheplanet.com/WhatAilsYou/Constipation/bowelmovements.htm

First sentence (a doctor responding to a question)...
"It is unlikely that a doctor has taught you how to achieve optimal elimination, 2 to 3 bowel movements per day."

See, it kinda depends how offten you sh!t and what kinda sh!t it is.

I used to sh!t once a day after high school. My parents are nutrition freaks, and I would have at least 2 fruits a day in addition to a buttload of multivitamins and definitely a filling 3 meals a day.

The sh!t was easy. I don't get how some people take 20 min to do it, but it would all come out within 3 minutes. It would come out as a long big piece of crap, but a huge piece of crap, and right after that ginormous piece comes out, you already feel felieved. Maybe one or two small pieces come out, but yea bottom line is that you have that ginormous piece of crap that comes out.

Definitely I don't have the same experience in college. It's not once a day, and if it is, it isnt a regular time, and it's never as relieving as my old sh!ts. I try to eat balanced although I'm not the most healthy. I still have multivitamins, but obviously I'm not eating the same as I used to eat =/

Aren't you special!

Feb 19, 2001
Today I bought:

3 boxes of strawberries
2 pineapples
6 fuji apples
1 costco box of grapes
15 bananas
1 bag of carrots
0.5 gallon mango passionfruit juice
0.5 gallon pineapple guava juice

in addition to stuff in the fridge:

1 gallon Tropicana Grovestand OJ
0.5 gallon mango juice
5 bananas

Will go back to Safeway tomorrow and buy:

1/2 watermelon
4 - 5 kiwis, 4 - 5 oranges

HomeAppraiser

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2005
I'm with you on the bentonite clay since it works like activated charcoal, just not as harsh, and some species of birds eat the clay to help digest fruits with high alkali seeds. Personally I don't think I could go three days without solid food. Just gotta tear into a steak or something.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: mindmaniac
Your so gullible. And industry website saying you need their product. Any person with a day of science knowledge would tear this apart. Just check out quackwatch.orgquackwatch.org :confused:

Not saying I believe in juice-fasting, but aside from respected medical journals, all those websites are he-said, she-said.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: HomeAppraiser
I'm with you on the bentonite clay since it works like activated charcoal, just not as harsh, and some species of birds eat the clay to help digest fruits with high alkali seeds. Personally I don't think I could go three days without solid food. Just gotta tear into a steak or something.
Eating clay or charcoal may absorb toxins that are in your digestive tract, but they aren't going to do doodly squat on stuff that is already in your bloodstream. As I said above, that is what a liver and your kidneys are for.

platinumike

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2004
I dont care what you say, the key to everything is just balancing it. Too much of anything is no good. Eating lots of fruits and not much of anything else, aint good, and vice versa. Its balance, along with excercise that wins it.

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
Originally posted by: platinumike
I dont care what you say, the key to everything is just balancing it. Too much of anything is no good. Eating lots of fruits and not much of anything else, aint good, and vice versa. Its balance, along with excercise that wins it.

That's a great plan, but that's not the point of the fast. People seem to be under the impression that this is all you're doing for the rest of your life. It's just a few days to let your body cleanse yourself and get rid of all the toxins in your body. It's just your body playing catch up. After it's cleanse, everything in moderation and exercise is great! Oh, and DLeRium, what's up with the bananas? Did you just decide to eat a bunch of fruits and vegetables. That'll certainly be good for you in many ways (raise body Ph, those bananas have lots of good bacteria too) but it won't be as effective as the fast. Of course, what do I know. Good luck!

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Originally posted by: HomeAppraiser
Eating clay or charcoal may absorb toxins that are in your digestive tract, but they aren't going to do doodly squat on stuff that is already in your bloodstream. As I said above, that is what a liver and your kidneys are for.

The fast is supposed to be great for your blood and your kidneys as well. You're correct about the clay.

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
Originally posted by: sygyzy
Definitely not convinced and I have done a lot of research. Notice that most of the sites are run by hippies trying to sell their oils and clay. To the OP, I am sure one could find as much evidence that refutes your claims than you have that supports it.

And I'd be happy to see it! I'm only repeating the information I read and sharing my experiences. I haven't read anything that says that juice fasting is unhealthy, and there appears to be a lot of evidence to suggest that it's very healthy for you. Also, I just completed one and I feel great. If you, or anyone else in this thread doesn't want to try this, or believe it's a bad idea then that's perfectly fine. The point of this thread was to introduce the idea, explain my experiences and how it worked for me, and hopefully get people to do their own research. If you find some research to contradict the health benefits of the juice fast in the way I did it, I'd love to see it. I just did this to my body and am planning on doing it again in the future, so if it's not healthy I'd certainly like to know.