just came back from bestbuy...

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
It's raining like hell in nyc right now, and the bestbuy parking lot had no spaces and people are lined up all around the block. It's like the PS4 was being released or something...I just noticed the BB website is down for maintenance too.

Ah well, it was nice to think that I might have gotten a deal, but f00k that, I wasn't gonna stand in line for a monitor. I felt bad for my bro-in-law though, he isn't a rich dude, and I over-hyped him with dreams of a cheap HDTV.

I don't think I will ever get over-hyped about a black friday again.

Maybe I will get lucky and get something online later today.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: mchammer
do they open the doors and everyone rushes in at once?

I remember last year at Wal-Mart: when they opened the doors, everyone ran in screaming. People were pouncing on the stuff in the main aisles, such as the computers and other items.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

I was wondering the same thing. I think now they hand out coupons that give you the rights to purchase a product at the special price so there isnt a stampede to get inside the store.

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
I gotta go work at a Best Buy at 4:30AM, I'm going to have a severe headache by the end of my shift...

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I gave up on Black friday several years ago. The only place that seems to have their BF advertised deals in any sort of quantity is Micro Center.

I'm still gonna stop by BB on the way to Micro Center but that is only if I get up early. If I get up past 8am it's straight to MC where I have no doubt I can get their specials.

I think I said it before but people never seem to hear me.... Best Buy is the devil! :evil:

:laugh:

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: wetcat007
I gotta go work at a Best Buy at 4:30AM, I'm going to have a severe headache by the end of my shift...
And I feel sorry for you... *rubbing index finger and thumb together* this is the world's tiniest violin. :laugh:

P.S. You work for the devil! :evil:

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Beachboy
Originally posted by: wetcat007
And I feel sorry for you... *rubbing index finger and thumb together* this is the world's tiniest violin. :laugh:

P.S. You work for the devil! :evil:

lol, yeah man. After seeing all those people lined up outside, I can imagine how you feel. I would cringe if I showed up to work and saw 200+ people, who are already pissed off from standing in the rain and sleep deprived.

You couldn't pay me triple time to walk into a retail store today. I might still pass by sometime in the afternoon tomorrow to see what is leftover.

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
I passed thru 2 Best Buys (was on the way to a restaurant for dinner and decided to check out BB parking lots) and there were ~50 ppl at both best buys at around 8:00PM PST. Decided to stop by CompUSA at ~9:30 PM on the way back and there were ~100 ppl in line and they were only letting few ppl inside at a time.

Just isnt worth my time to stand in any of those line....I dont even stand in line at any place except for restaurants.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
i pray staples is nothing like this. I am leaving in like 30 minutes and camp outside staples for a couple hours. I just hope i can get the 400gb external hard drive and laptop.

beyonddc

May 17, 2001
Originally posted by: BKLounger
i pray staples is nothing like this. I am leaving in like 30 minutes and camp outside staples for a couple hours. I just hope i can get the 400gb external hard drive and laptop.

Staples was easy for me last year. I got there at 5 am last year, and I was the first person. :)

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: HN
Originally posted by: SonnyDaze

No, they unleash the flood gates and the brawling begins. :)

just carry around a large man with you to push people out of the way (and hang on to your wig)

At least best buy gives out tickets to people standing in line so people are less likely getting hurt in a rush like that in theory.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: beyonddc
Originally posted by: BKLounger

Staples was easy for me last year. I got there at 5 am last year, and I was the first person. :)

are you serious? i am going like 3 hours early just in case but wow only 1 hour early that is awesome. It's seems like staples is the place to be then.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
I just got from Compusa, stopped by on my way home and grabbed a couple of the normal sale items. We'll see if I keep it.

Yeah, I miss the good ol' days of rebuying and being able to get there at 3am and be early enough for the good deals. Haven't been in the US the last couple Thanksgivings but now it seems like it's getting out of hand. I drove by 2 Best Buys to check it out to see if it was worth it and the line was insane, there were even a couple RVs parked.

I think I'm going to get up at 6 or so and hit some of the lesser retailers, like Radio Shack and JC Penny's. lol, I don't even know what's on sale. Saw that Sears has a jewelry sale so I might go try that for some christmas gifts. Grabbing those extra deals doesn't seem like such a priority anymore now that I have a job, it's not like I couldn't afford it normally so all that extra effort for a bit of savings doesn't balance out.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
im gonna run to BB in like 30 mins. its less than 5 mins away. i know at like midnight there were about 100 people in line. regardless i'm going to go there w/my sister at like 4:30 cause she wants some antivirus stuff thats dirt cheap.

i was looking at one of those 250 lappies advertised on the website, but i dunno man. i doub ti'll get one. i'm wondering just exactly what these people are all in line for. i know the actual hard copy of the flyer had a $360 or so lappy advertised so maybe people are waiting for that.

it's almost 3am now so i figure 2 more hours to stay up and play xbox live or goof off on the computer wont be that big a deal.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
I just went by my local BB, it looked like more than 100 people were waiting in line and the parking lot was completely full. So much for $250 laptops.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
holy mother of god i cannot believe how many fvcking people were in line! there were EASILY about 200 people in line. this is fvcking ridiculous. store doesn't open for 90 mins still. god damnit!!

and i'm assuming when things say "minimum 18 per store" that means about "20 maximum per store" as well. this is bs man, god damnit i'm disappointed.