Just bought a new DSLR! Need accessory reccomendations!

BoldAsLove

Platinum Member
May 10, 2005
What do you guys think of this deal??

Pentax K100D w/ 18-55mm Lens Kit - $469.00
Pentax 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Lens - $249.00
Free New Harry Potter Book - $0.00
---
Subtotal = $718.00
-$25 Coupon
----
=$693.00
-5% FatCash
----
=$658.35
-$150 Rebate
--------------
$508.35

---------------------------------------------------------------

Now...I need some accessories. I need a new battery charger, some new batteries, a camera bag, and a nice SD card. Any recommendations on any of this stuff? Anything else you think I may need/want?

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
that's a very good deal by the looks of it. I'm not familiar with the Pentax line, is the K100D better than the K10D or is it the other way around? Hope you enjoy it!

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: AmigaMan
that's a very good deal by the looks of it. I'm not familiar with the Pentax line, is the K100D better than the K10D or is it the other way around? Hope you enjoy it!

Other way around.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: BoldAsLove

---------------------------------------------------------------

Now...I need some accessories. I need a new battery charger, some new batteries, a camera bag, and a nice SD card. Any recommendations on any of this stuff? Anything else you think I may need/want?

Good deal :)

Maha/Powerex make great battery chargers and have excellent customer service to boot. I would not get a 15 minute rapid charge because I feel you risk burning out your batteries.

For batteries, I like Rayovac Hybrids, available at any Wal-Mart. They are the same as Sanyo Eneloops.

Camera bag... something from Lowepro with the ability to add extra lens cases when you get more lenses in the future? Basically any LowePro bag that's SlipLock compatible. The Lowepro Slingshot series are really popular too.

SD card. Do NOT get an SDHC card because I believe the K100D doesn't support them. Transcend makes good cards with lifetime warranties. A couple of 2GB cards should be good for now if you shoot in RAW. Get the fastest available, like 150x or something.

Also consider getting a card reader and a blower bulb at Walgreens to blow dust off of your sensor from time to time. And a lens cloth. If you prefer paper-based lens clothes, a box of Kimwipes work great with some kind of streak free lens cleaning fluid like Eclipse or ROR.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
- For taking pictures in bright sunlight, a decent quality circular polarizer (52mm size) like this B&W slim filter or this Hoya.

- I like the Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW I just got, but if you've not got that much gear at present it's probably overkill.

- If you're just starting out in photography, check out Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Filled with full-page colour photos and a nice, not-overly-technical explanation of how shutter speed, aperture and ISO film speed relate to each other, and how to shoot different scenes and effects.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
nice choice.

those K100Ds are getting cheap, but i guess with the super coming shortly they'll be clearing 'em out.

slatr

May 28, 2001
Good price, that rebate was nice.

Let me know how you like the 50-200mm lens.

I need a new lens.. or 2.

BoldAsLove

Platinum Member
May 10, 2005
Thank you all for your opinions.

Fuzzybabybunny-I will def. take your advice on the charger/batteries, and bag. But as for the SD card, I believe it does support SDHC.

That filter sounds like a good idea too...I was looking at that book too.

From certain reviews, it seems like the 50-200 is really nice (especially at the price I'm getting it at. By buying that with the camera, I got an extra $100 in rebates).

--

Any particular lenses or filters you guys think would be good for my trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos coming up in August?

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The first accessory I would recomend is a good eduaction on how to shoot and compose a photograph. No lens, flash, or tripod can make up for lack of knowledge.

Good deal you got there. Could you share a link with us?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

Fuzzybabybunny-I will def. take your advice on the charger/batteries, and bag. 'But as for the SD card, I believe it does support SDHC.

Yes you are right- there is actually a firmware update at Pentax's site for it

http://www.pentaximaging.com/c...irmware?firmId=7717476

However I'm still going to opt getting 2x2gig cards. If one of the cards craps on me, well at least I didn't lose it all ;)

EDIT:

googer see here:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/f...dslr.rebate_070607.pdf

I was going to buy today, but I'll try that 5% fatcash thing ;)

essasin

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
In no particular order

1. memory card
2. bag
3. tripod and ball/head
4. filters
5. lots of learning and having fun

BoldAsLove

Platinum Member
May 10, 2005
I just bought a Sandisk Extreme II 2GB at radioshak for $19.99. I also bought a Lowepro Rezo 170AW for $49.99. I also bought 8 eneloop batteries for 19.99 and 4 eneloop batteries with charger for 24.99. That narrows some stuff off the list

rml

Lifer
Jul 6, 2000
I got a PAQ Slingshot style camera bag. Better than Lowespro in my humble opinion. (It's about 50% cheaper than Lowespro 300 AW)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Thank you all for your opinions.

Fuzzybabybunny-I will def. take your advice on the charger/batteries, and bag. But as for the SD card, I believe it does support SDHC.

That filter sounds like a good idea too...I was looking at that book too.

From certain reviews, it seems like the 50-200 is really nice (especially at the price I'm getting it at. By buying that with the camera, I got an extra $100 in rebates).

--

Any particular lenses or filters you guys think would be good for my trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos coming up in August?

for galapagos you've already got your long lens, so wildlife is taken care of (that 200 has the same FoV as a 300 on the K100D).

if you'd like to do some daylight street photography of life in ecuador the pentax 21 f/3.2 is great. moderately wide, and small so it's discrete. but it's spendy at about $400 after rebate.

for lowlight photography you should get the pentax 50 f/1.4 for about $160 after rebate. it's 2 2/3 stops faster than the kit lens. it's also a decent portrait lens wide open.

the 35 f/2 is also rather fast and is very sharp. it'll give you a more normal perspective on the K100D than the 50 f/1.4 will (which gives a slight telephoto perspective). it's about $300 (no rebate, however). the sigma 30 f/1.4 and 28 f/1.8 are decent alternatives.

get a circular polarizing filter. it'll make water shots look very nice.

and, as googer says, educate yourself. read through the manual, working with the camera so you know how it works. if it's like any of the other manuals i've read, it'll be a decent photography primer.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
If you're in your 20s or younger, I'd recommend the Crumpler bags: http://www.crumplerbags.com/

They're somewhat pricy, but they are constructed well. What I like most about it is that it doesn't look like a camera bag.

Other than the normal needed things like batteries, bags, etc., another essential is a circular polarizer.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by: rml
I think the crumplerbags are way overpriced

Compared to other brands, I don't think their pricing is too bad :) I have a Crumpler backpack and a shoulder laptop bag. They're holding up great.

I also have a couple Domke's. Can never have enough bags ;)

rml

Lifer
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: virtuamike
Originally posted by: rml
I think the crumplerbags are way overpriced

Compared to other brands, I don't think their pricing is too bad :) I have a Crumpler backpack and a shoulder laptop bag. They're holding up great.

I also have a couple Domke's. Can never have enough bags ;)

But for the price of one crumplerbag, I can buy 3 PAQ Slingshot style camera bags. Unless you really need to use the bag to carry books. My Slingshot style camera bag is great for real photographer (or the pretending photographer)